Opinions of the offense?

Advertisement
As a fan wanting to see Miami run up the score I think it was a Terrible strategy. As a rationally thinking person then it was smart. ACC play starts next week, before tonight our conference Opponents have zero film on the offense! If you can be Vanilla/Conservative while getting an easy win then you do it. It's going to make things extremely difficult to game plan against us.
While I don't completely disagree, I think you and I both agree that this offense still needs more time together. They wasted an entire quarter of game time that they obviously need to get in sync. Now that wasted time is going to be made up on the field next Saturday, too.

Umm noo... This offense can be very explosive. Even with tonight conservative play calling we could of had 600+ Yards and 40+ points if we executed properly
It was a strange one tonight.

I'm expecting to win games with Lashlee by outscheming teams, based on what he's done in his previous stops.

Today though it was more about just having the better players / athletes and not getting in our own way (as we're wont to do). I'm hoping that if this game was played in 2 months time, we put a bajillion points on UAB.

I'm expecting to win games with Lashlee by outscheming teams, based on what he's done in his previous stops.

Today though it was more about just having the better players / athletes and not getting in our own way (as we're wont to do). I'm hoping that if this game was played in 2 months time, we put a bajillion points on UAB.
Don’t hold breath by waiting

Advertisement
I think it’s how the 500 yrds came. A good chunk of that 500 came off of broken plays & missed tackles in which we are a superior team. We were still in a dog fight w a G5 team. If we didn’t have King, we either win by 3 or just lose. My man was Houdini out there escaping pressure.

Furthermore, UAB QB was ***, & threw like a little girl. Go back & look at how open their WRs were, including some dropping easy passes. We need work; w/ the lack of practices allotted, along w a new offensive concept & pieces, we did well under the circumstances. I’ll be more interested to see how we regroup against better comp; but I’ll take a W any time.
I don't think that was a dog fight.

A disappointing game, sure, but we clearly had a few more gears available on offence if required. We shut it down EARLY - which I was surprised by. That's not the killer instinct I'm looking for from our OC / HC.

I think King will eventually gel with one of our receivers or TEs, Seeing that late TD with Brevin. Might have to look out for that connection

Last time this team played this team scored 0 points against a defense much worse than this one. Our offense needs to be what we saw during the third quarter, run game and Brevin Jordan. Our wide receivers need to improve in a hurry or we are in for a long season. Go cranes!!!

Advertisement

It was a conservative game plan. The only time he opened things up was In the 3rd Qtr and they moved the ball with ease. His play calling even though it was conservative it worked. We left a lot of yards and points on the field. Without the mistakes and us basically just running down the clock in the 4th we would of put up 600+ yards and 40+ points. UAB is also a good football team. They finished the regular season 9-3 last year and were 11-3 in 2018.

What was the realistic expectation for the offense today? Spring practice they got a few days together. Summer practice has been basically avoided Covid. I liked that we established the running game. It's the best thing for a qb and for an offensive line. Our oline needs to play physical running the ball is the only way to get there. This was basic plays all game. Go routes and basic runs. Vanilla. We will open it up in conference play I have no doubt.

First time over 300 yards rushing as a team in 2 years and we did it averaging 6.5 ypc. This backfield will win us games THIS year.

Lashlee played it close to the vest i believe. We'll see some fireworks next week against Louisville.

Advertisement
New staff, new scheme, new QB, minimized practices, extra stale playcalling and we still put up 500 yards.

It was obvious Lashlee was keeping it simple. He was a lot more creative last year at SMU. They barely used Jordan, never targeted Mallory. It seemed more like a plan to get the offense's feet wet, and let the talent gap win the game. When they got close in the third, he put his foot on the gas a little, but then pulled it back again when they got separation. I would expect the full playbook against Louisville.

Advertisement
Our OL is crap once again ... someone other than King at QB, it would have been repeat of CMU/ FIU..

On D, how does Baker and Rumpf still have jobs? Rinse and repeat from last year. ...Ridiculous.

It's going to be another long year.

I’m curious what some of you guys were expecting. First game with a new offense with very limited practice time to install isn’t going to be perfect. It got clunky and was probably a bit too vanilla but you’re still talking about 500 yards of offense, over 300 rushing yards and 31 points. Remember what this offense looked like the last time they took the field? This is the team that couldn’t score a single point against Louisiana Tech.

We essentially ran two RPOs the entire game. One to Wiggins early, and Perry over the middle on the last drive.

I can’t remember King keeping a single read-option.

And the Air Raid’s staple mesh play was never run.

I can’t imagine we will never run RPO, which lends me to believe it was a watered down offense. So I’m kinda okay with tonight’s performance provided some of these other things come back. I am concerned though that the Air Raid stuff is staying with Dykes at SMU.
I think that’s why he was holding back. Didn’t want to show Louisville too much. Very few receiver screens, no mesh, no y-cross with the tight end. I think we will see more next week

Advertisement
Back