Opinions of the offense?

Advertisement
After watching the whole game, i think Lashlee PURPOSELY called a run-heavy game to test the OL and backs. Whether that was Manny's doing, or no, I don't know, but there was a reason DK let the backs take the option soooooften. That said, here is what i was thinking while drinking(LMAO):

I honestly felt Baker was the biggest issue of the game.
King needed to settle in on passes, but when he did, the calling went conservative.
Jarrid Williams was getting beat bad.
They had under 300 yards of offenCe and less than 100 yards rushing from one of the best backs in football and scored 14pts. 7 came off a muffed punt. Stop with the Baker problems. Every team gives up a couple of drives a game to decent opposition.

I love all the betas who aren’t heard from all year, coming out in masses to complain about 500 yards of offense.

1. We are still installing a new offense, with a new QB, with no spring.

2. Lashlee held back. He knew we had superior athletes and stick to inside zone and UAB countered with selling out vs the run. We still had 337 yards rushing.

3. I think the Cam injury scare caused Manny and company to phone it in for the night. After that play we seemed happy to just play D and sit on the lead.

I expect to see more diversity next week and can’t make a sound judgement til then. The offense should improve throughout the season also. Oline did allow more pressure than I like, but they weren’t terrible either. Ivey needs to turn his **** head around.

People disappointed with the offense. I get it. Expect to see us blow out AUB. Expected more explosive plays. I love the fact that the staff recognized this was a bonafide tune up game and didn't open the entire offense for the ACC to sit back and take notes. Online is my only concern on offense. Alot of boxes were checked. Plays got much needed live reps. Most importantly the staff got much needed film to dissect. Players will get schooled in the film room and the coaches know what areas that need to be addressed. King needs to get the ball out quicker and Oline needs work. Let's not get too high or too low. We won a game we were supposed to win.

it's the first game people. Give the guys and coaches a LITTLE BIT of time to settle in, have some real time, in game experience, etc.

Ran for 300+ yards
Scored 30+ points
Didnt turn the ball over

those are all huge pluses and it was against a very solid UAB squad that could win their conference.
Agreed. Did we have a false start penalty? I know we didn't have any delay of game penalties. We were rusty, King hasn't played a real game in over a year. I think they are going to see on film he should have pulled the ball more and run himself on the read option. Let's see what we get next week now that Lashlee has some game film to look at.

Half this board has been saying for the last year UAB wasn't a gimme, now the sky is falling since it wasn't 100-0.

Advertisement
Cant pass... yet.
We didn’t try to pass enough. King missed on the long balls and the time Payton was open in the end zone. Other than that, king threw pretty well but the run-pass ratio was so high on run that I felt we didn’t give King enough opportunities to throw.
I‘d also like to see some play action. after 40 inside hand offs you would think the defense was sucked up and vulnerable to the play action.

To know that in this game we were 7 of 17 on 3rd downs making it 59%, bothers me. Holding back or not, that sucks. We have to improve....
Hope Lashlee is listening...not acceptable.
So what you're saying is that in our first live game with a new offense and no spring practice, we were much better than last year on 3rd down?

Advertisement
The offense seemed to hold back a ton. My guess is on purpose. It's not fun to watch as a fan, but Manny is an over thinker and probably knew we could just out talent UAB and win without giving much of Lashlee's O on film for Louisville/FSU to study coming up.

Very vanilla 85% of the game. All zone read runs up the middle. The best glimpse of what this offense is going to be IMO was the drive in the 3rd after UAB scored to make it 17-14. We saw more passing concepts and we cruised down the field for a TD with Brevin catching 2 or 3 passes.

As far as the OL - Again like I said, all we did was simple runs, and UAB knew it was coming. Hard to look fantastic when the defense isn't being fooled or kept on their toes. Lashlee used this game to get the OL comfortable with our run concepts and some confidence. Not to mention probably getting them in game shape as the starting 5 stayed in all game. Was impressed with what I saw from Jarrid Williams and Campbell. Will watch again to analyze the inside guys.

WRs - Our weakest position on offense. Again, we were vanilla and I think we'll be ok, but like D$ said, we're missing a true big time WR or 2. Probably why Lashlee is hyper focused on using this game to make sure the run game is crisp moving forward

it's the first game people. Give the guys and coaches a LITTLE BIT of time to settle in, have some real time, in game experience, etc.

Ran for 300+ yards
Scored 30+ points
Didnt turn the ball over

those are all huge pluses and it was against a very solid UAB squad that could win their conference.
No i wanted 600 rush yards and 62 points! - majority of CIS

The offense seemed to hold back a ton. My guess is on purpose. It's not fun to watch as a fan, but Manny is an over thinker and probably knew we could just out talent UAB and win without giving much of Lashlee's O on film for Louisville/FSU to study coming up.

Very vanilla 85% of the game. All zone read runs up the middle. The best glimpse of what this offense is going to be IMO was the drive in the 3rd after UAB scored to make it 17-14. We saw more passing concepts and we cruised down the field for a TD with Brevin catching 2 or 3 passes.

As far as the OL - Again like I said, all we did was simple runs, and UAB knew it was coming. Hard to look fantastic when the defense isn't being fooled or kept on their toes. Lashlee used this game to get the OL comfortable with our run concepts and some confidence. Not to mention probably getting them in game shape as the starting 5 stayed in all game. Was impressed with what I saw from Jarrid Williams and Campbell. Will watch again to analyze the inside guys.

WRs - Our weakest position on offense. Again, we were vanilla and I think we'll be ok, but like D$ said, we're missing a true big time WR or 2. Probably why Lashlee is hyper focused on using this game to make sure the run game is crisp moving forward
Brevin, Wiggins, Payton, Mallory And running backs.
that needs to be order of progression for our receivers. Let’s just accept the fact that our tight end is a high round draft pick and use him as such, not as a 3rd or 4th option that you wait to target until the 2nd half. Brevin is a mis match as we saw on the touchdown pass. few linebackers can move like him and he’s too big for d-backs.

It looked very Gus malzahn to me. That’s not horrible but doesn’t bode well for the tight ends. That Pope fumble ruined us. Defense was never going to respond to that challenge. They’re not mentally tough enough. Not defending them tho.

How has no one else said that #5 and #6 for uab would both be starters here. That’s embarrassing for miamj

Advertisement
Here is my question. Are we going to run it up the gut 30+ against ACC teams? If not, then dare I say we didn't see the whole playbook? (DUCKS AND LEAVES THREAD)

It looked very Gus malzahn to me. That’s not horrible but doesn’t bode well for the tight ends. That Pope fumble ruined us. Defense was never going to respond to that challenge. They’re not mentally tough enough. Not defending them tho.

How has no one else said that #5 and #6 for uab would both be starters here. That’s embarrassing for miamj
Why is that embarrassing for Miami? Smaller schools produce big time NFL players are the time. Roddy White went to UAB. Matt Forte went to Tulane. Both of those guys played against each other in CUSA in the mid 2000s. Both would have started at Miami. Same for Chris Johnson at ECU. It happens.

Obvious missing chemistry with WRs. Too pumped when throwing to hit the open man. What about the two throws near the goal line (can’t remember the WRs but think Payton was the one wide open when the ball got thrown way above his head and out of bounds). Clearly something King needs to work on.

How many slants did we see? How many terrible attempts at screens (including the extremely slow developing play in the first drive)? Seems like 3rd and long turned into a draw or screen play (obvious calls to play it safe). Not a single reverse nor a stretch to the outside to set it up.

Bottom line: No way that was the playbook that we will see. Time and experience together will provide the chemistry to complete the passes to the WRs. Need to practice route running and timing! Should look totally different in week 5 versus last night.

Advertisement

I want to agree but this is the same Manny that lost to FIU and LA Tech. Thinking he can go vanilla and coast thru any team at this point is a joke. **** it was 17-14 in third quarter.

Well, throw out the bethune game from last year and what we saw last night pretty much destroyed everything we saw last year and it looked like we left a butt ton on the table.
First game in a newly installed offense vs last year and -
Only three games with more first downs 25 (NC, VT, FIU)
Only one game with more total yards 495 (luis)
No games with more rushing yards or yards per carry.
Only three games with more yards per play 6.3 (NC, VT, luis)
Only 3 games with a better passing percentage 66.7% (NC, CM, luis)
41% 3rd down conversion rate vs 23% conversion rate against non conference opponents.
lol only two games with more points scored 31 (VT, luis)
Kings passing wasn't much to write home about but I think that will get better as he gets more comfortable. Auburn the **** out of teams until they sell out to stop it.
Anybody here thinking Louisville has a better defense than UAB?

Advertisement
Back