Opinions of the offense?

Not happy.

Not angry.

This performance was expected, for the most part, for a team playing in their first game with a new offense — that never had spring ball.

It was clear Lashlee wanted to be vanilla with the offense, which is idiotic, but it was obvious to anyone that our offense at the beginning of the second half was night and day from what we saw in the first half and quarter #4.
Without spring practice, maybe that's all he felt confidence in running.

Advertisement
To know that in this game we were 7 of 17 on 3rd downs making it 59%, bothers me. Holding back or not, that sucks. We have to improve....
Hope Lashlee is listening...not acceptable.

That... I kinda agree. BUT King did miss some easy deep throws. Harley had his man beat on at least 2 of them that would have most likely been TDs

Fair on that, Harley was open. But you combine an inaccurate QB with our WR's, outlook not sunny my friend

Brand new offenses almost always take time to get up to full speed. And that's under normal circumstances. We had no spring football and a weird summer/fall. Passing offense is the hardest part and will take the most time to get proficient. Perhaps it was not realistic to expect them to sling it all over the field in game one.

Given all that, what I would have liked to see later in the game was more passing plays so we could work on the passing game.

Advertisement
I’m not even reading this thread (see, what are you drinking tonight thread).

Y’all need to relax. I’ve been preaching all summer. New OC, new QB. It’s gonna take a minute to gel.

The pace/tempo we played with tonight made me go from 6 to noon. D’Erriq is the goods. This team can be real good.

I’ll also pat my own back and say the LBs need work @The Franchise As usual, the slurpers are too high and the doomers are too low.

My opinion after game 1: I’m higher on us than before game 1. I think the future is extremely bright with lashlee and manny. I think we might win 9 or 10 this year (up from 7 , internally). I think we are a serious threat.

Some of you make me laugh. It’s the same guys predicting 11-0 that freak out when we are rusty in the 1st half after no spring practice. Relax. This squad can make some noise.

Will look much different when King starts pulling the ball. I don’t remember him doing it once and he was in range of 100 rushing. Even if he pulls 20% he’s a problem, let alone 30 or 40+.

And the passing will pick up.

I see lots of potential.

Advertisement
I feel the expectations of King are a bit unrealistic and honestly unfair. He's not Kyler Murray. He's not Lamar Jackson.

But that doesn't mean that he can't win more games than they did.

I'm going to make a comparison that is going to cause some ppl to groan and wince in derision, but whatever -- King is a superior version of Malik Rosier. A smarter, more accurate, more mature, more explosive version of the only qb to ever take us to the ACCCG. That's not a bad thing if you really think about it. Basically take all of Rosier's stats from that 2017 season (TD receptions, completion %, Rush TD's, etc.) and just add 10 to it EXCEPT for Interceptions (you could probably subtract 10 on that one), and that's what King is.

That's a **** good Qb capable of taking us very far this season.

We essentially ran two RPOs the entire game. One to Wiggins early, and Perry over the middle on the last drive.

I can’t remember King keeping a single read-option.

And the Air Raid’s staple mesh play was never run.

I can’t imagine we will never run RPO, which lends me to believe it was a watered down offense. So I’m kinda okay with tonight’s performance provided some of these other things come back. I am concerned though that the Air Raid stuff is staying with Dykes at SMU.

They are not good, I wouldnt expect them to have alot. Buffalo players can walk in first day and take their lunch.. These boys have to step up at some point.. If you a senior and you still cant make plays bruhhh.. Potential?! Cmon
You probably never played before.
KJ started for two years at buffalo. And now starts in the nfl.

mare they nfl guys? No. But they can be productive. Wiggins has some flashes. Need Payton to really make the jump

I feel the expectations of King are a bit unrealistic and honestly unfair. He's not Kyler Murray. He's not Lamar Jackson.

I'm going to make a comparison that is going to cause some ppl to groan and wince in derision, but whatever -- King is a superior version of Malik Rosier. A smarter, more accurate, more mature, more explosive version of the only qb to ever take us to the ACCCG. That's not a bad thing if you really think about it. Basically take all of Rosier's stats from that 2017 season (TD receptions, completion %, Rush TD's, etc.) and just add 10 to it EXCEPT for Interceptions (you could probably subtract 10 on that one), and that's what King is.

Think that’s fair comparison and I’ll take it at this point.

Advertisement
The key to this offense becoming explosive is a commitment to a rhythm building, non screen short passing game.

Lashlee did his best Richt/Enos impersonation in the first half calling a bunch of deep routes and heaving up incompletions without establishing rhythm and confidence. These offensive coordinators think too much like COS fans and want to force the ball downfield.

As long as we did that, the offense was inconsistent. Came out in the second half and started throwing some quick short passes. Lo and behold, we start to march and the run game opens up even more. We got the lead and went back to running on first and second down.

Fo back and watch the last four years of offense. We are at our best when we control the chains with short quick passes. If Lashlee can figure it out and use the quick pass to be unpredictable and open the deep pass and run game, we will have a big year.

If he is impatient and tries to force it downfield and pound the run predictably, we will struggle with droughts and inconsistency.

O

To go off your point, the expectations for the offense were too high as well. We were never going to come out and look like Ohio State or Oklahoma and blow the doors off this team. It’s going to take time, but I think we’ll get a lot better between game 1 and 2.

Advertisement
Ice Cream Turn Around Doctor GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

Exactly. I dont think 95% of the people who are in this site understand that

Exactly. I dont think 95% of the people who are in this site understand that
I think everyone knows it, but people are mad Lashlee did it, which is understandable. You should giving your team valuable reps on more than 5 plays.

Advertisement
Back