OOS Recruiting: Looking Westward to Texas

1. Easier to evaluate a 3-star in South Florida. It's our neighborhood. We can watch him play live any time we want. ****, we can go talk to his barber if we want to.

2. Signing out-of-state 3-star kids over local 3-star kids is not a good look IMO. Not good for relationships, especially if that South FLA 3-star goes somewhere else and excels. Miami coaches look like clueless bums when that happens. It creates animosity between local players and coaches. It's hard for local players/coaches to get behind your program when you're passing up local studs and signing 3-star kids from out of town.
No other program has a problem evaluating OOS talent other than ours lol.

How TF does Utah & Oregon eval South Fla players being so far away?

And the politics Miami has to deal with is pure insanity. So, if we sign an OOS 3-star as opposed to a local 3-star it turns into WW3 between the program & HS coaches, but when we offer these very same kids & pursue them from 8th grade on & they hightail it out of town & sign with Bama, UGA, LSU, Oh St, TAMU, UF, FSU etc nobody says anything?

You know how many times we offered a local 3-star that still spurned us & signed elsewhere? Literally happens every class. So what do we do? We literally can't win in this scenario.

What was the reason a kid like Douglas Emilien signed with Minnesota over us?

In 2019, Tyrique Stevenson, Frank Ladson, Jordan Battle, Kaiir Elam, Akeem Dent, Khris Bogle, Mark-Anthony Richards (Ahmmon's lil brother), John Dunmore, Braylen Ingraham, Kenny McIntosh, Ge'mon Eaford, Jaden Davis, Anthony Solomon, Nay'Quan Wright, DJ Williams (Edge's Nephew), Wardrick Wilson, Mike Morris, Cornelius Nunn, Jarvis Brownlee, Tiawan Mullen, Jahmar Brown & Mark Fox all left South FLA & signed with P5 teams, we offered every single one of them except Tiawan which might end up the biggest miss of'em all.

The point being, yes we should always have the advantage of recruiting kids in our backyard, but at some point what do we do when all these kids are just leaving? Like seriously, we couldn't manage to sign one of'em & they all didn't sign with winning programs either, they just didn't wanna come to Miami.

I'm not in disagreement with you or D$ or any of yall, no one has to tell me the importance of keeping South Fl talent home, the only point I've made is, for whatever reason these kids just aren't interested man. We really have to do something to change that. Otherwise, those lists of players will look like that every year.

Advertisement
Probably because their top two receivers caught a ton of balls and he can play early.
Given how our depth chart has looked over the last few seasons, early PT should've been an easy sell at multiple positions.

Hopefully in Lashlee's new offense, he can sell recruits on a high volume passing attack that will get them the ball.

I think ultimately these misses fall on the Coaching staff. They seem to do a really poor job in selling recruits on the most obvious points to get them interested in playing here.

No other program has a problem evaluating OOS talent other than ours lol.

How TF does Utah & Oregon eval South Fla players being so far away?

And the politics Miami has to deal with is pure insanity. So, if we sign an OOS 3-star as opposed to a local 3-star it turns into WW3 between the program & HS coaches, but when we offer these very same kids & pursue them from 8th grade on & they hightail it out of town & sign with Bama, UGA, LSU, Oh St, TAMU, UF, FSU etc nobody says anything?

You know how many times we offered a local 3-star that still spurned us & signed elsewhere? Literally happens every class. So what do we do? We literally can't win in this scenario.

What was the reason a kid like Douglas Emilien signed with Minnesota over us?

In 2019, Tyrique Stevenson, Frank Ladson, Jordan Battle, Kaiir Elam, Akeem Dent, Khris Bogle, Mark-Anthony Richards (Ahmmon's lil brother), John Dunmore, Braylen Ingraham, Kenny McIntosh, Ge'mon Eaford, Jaden Davis, Anthony Solomon, Nay'Quan Wright, DJ Williams (Edge's Nephew), Wardrick Wilson, Mike Morris, Cornelius Nunn, Jarvis Brownlee, Tiawan Mullen, Jahmar Brown & Mark Fox all left South FLA & signed with P5 teams, we offered every single one of them except Tiawan which might end up the biggest miss of'em all.

The point being, yes we should always have the advantage of recruiting kids in our backyard, but at some point what do we do when all these kids are just leaving? Like seriously, we couldn't manage to sign one of'em & they all didn't sign with winning programs either, they just didn't wanna come to Miami.

I'm not in disagreement with you or D$ or any of yall, no one has to tell me the importance of keeping South Fl talent home, the only point I've made is, for whatever reason these kids just aren't interested man. We really have to do something to change that. Otherwise, those lists of players will look like that every year.

Utah and Oregon are in a completely different boat than Miami. They have no talent in their area, thus they come to Florida and sign kids that we didn't recruit. Even Miami's leftovers are better than what Oregon and Utah typically have in their backyards. Louisville and Rutgers used to make a living recruiting those same kids.

Programs like Utah, Louisville and Rutgers have been using South Florida 3-star kids to enter college football relevancy for years. With evaluations and good coaching they've made a living off of South Florida kids that Miami neglected.

Maybe it's about time that Miami people realize that RIGHT NOW we are Utah/Rutgers/Louisville/Pitt. We're not in a position to be so technical and picky about who we sign, dissecting every kid's height/weight/measureables/etc. We're not in the position to be that picky right now like an Alabama/Clemson/LSU. We need to be focusing on THE BEST LOCAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS cause that's exactly WTF those schools like Utah/Rutgers/Louisville have done. They came down here and picked BALLERS and didn't care about whether Tutu Atwell or Tyler Huntley was tall enough to play P5 football.

By no means am I saying fill our roster with kids like this, but as I eluded to before there are plenty of lower ranked kids in South Florida that can help Miami get over the hump and to a yearly appearance in the ACCC game. Those kids aren't being properly evaluated/recruited by Miami and they're going to programs like Pitt, Utah, Louisville, etc...and excelling.

I have no proof but I bet South Florida is one of the only areas in the country where local 3-star kids escape and excel at out-of-state programs.
If Clemson or Bama had a 3-star kid in their area that could play at their program I can almost guarantee that they wouldn't let him get away. If there's a gem with P5 potential anywhere near Saban or Dabo I bet they've already sniffed him out.

Advertisement
Imagine if Clemson back in their early days just said they were gonna recruit the Carolinas?

Imagine if Texas juts recruited the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston areas? Oh wait, they did and it got Mack Brown fired.

Imagine if USC just recruited the LA and Fresno areas?

Imagine if LSU just recruited the wards and Baton Rouge?

Imagine if Penn State just recruited the North East?

Imagine if UGA just recruited the Atlanta area?

Imagine if FSU just recruited the PanHandle?

Imagine if UF just recruited Orlando/Tampa area?

Oh wait, they don’t.

Utah and Oregon are in a completely different boat than Miami. They have no talent in their area, thus they come to Florida and sign kids that we didn't recruit. Even Miami's leftovers are better than what Oregon and Utah typically have in their backyards. Louisville and Rutgers used to make a living recruiting those same kids.

Programs like Utah, Louisville and Rutgers have been using South Florida 3-star kids to enter college football relevancy for years. With evaluations and good coaching they've made a living off of South Florida kids that Miami neglected.

Maybe it's about time that Miami people realize that RIGHT NOW we are Utah/Rutgers/Louisville/Pitt. We're not in a position to be so technical and picky about who we sign, dissecting every kid's height/weight/measureables/etc. We're not in the position to be that picky right now like an Alabama/Clemson/LSU. We need to be focusing on THE BEST LOCAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS cause that's exactly WTF those schools like Utah/Rutgers/Louisville have done. They came down here and picked BALLERS and didn't care about whether Tutu Atwell or Tyler Huntley was tall enough to play P5 football.

By no means am I saying fill our roster with kids like this, but as I eluded to before there are plenty of lower ranked kids in South Florida that can help Miami get over the hump and to a yearly appearance in the ACCC game. Those kids aren't being properly evaluated/recruited by Miami and they're going to programs like Pitt, Utah, Louisville, etc...and excelling.

I have no proof but I bet South Florida is one of the only areas in the country where local 3-star kids escape and excel at out-of-state programs.
If Clemson or Bama had a 3-star kid in their area that could play at their program I can almost guarantee that they wouldn't let him get away. If there's a gem with P5 potential anywhere near Saban or Dabo I bet they've already sniffed him out.
You wanna see the list of OOS kids we brushed off for neighborhood cred in Miami?

Advertisement
Btw this isn’t just about OOS. Do y’all even realize how bad we recruit Central FL? I’ve got about 10 Central Florida kids that I’ve personally found that are better than targets we have on the board right.

Nobody is saying ONLY recruit South Florida.

Then this entire argument is flying over your head. This isn’t about not recruiting or prioritizing SFL. This is about recruiting a kid in SFL, treating the OOS kid as a plan B, only to have the Plan B kid say **** you guys and be left with Nigel Bethel or or waiting choosing to recruit a lesser talent because he’s from here than an OOS talent. This is not “make SFL less of a priority” argument.

Imagine if Clemson back in their early days just said they were gonna recruit the Carolinas?

Imagine if Texas juts recruited the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston areas? Oh wait, they did and it got Mack Brown fired.

Imagine if USC just recruited the LA and Fresno areas?

Imagine if LSU just recruited the wards and Baton Rouge?

Imagine if Penn State just recruited the North East?

Imagine if UGA just recruited the Atlanta area?

Imagine if FSU just recruited the PanHandle?

Imagine if UF just recruited Orlando/Tampa area?

Oh wait, they don’t.

Nobody is saying ONLY RECRUIT SOUTH FLORIDA.
However, many of those schools you listed don't have the access to as much (local) talent that we do + they compete with poachers.
South Florida is so saturated with D1 talent that even AFTER the poaching from Bama/Clemson/LSU/UGA we could STILL find enough local kids to contribute if we evaluated/recruited better. WE ARE THE MOST SATURATED AREA IN THE COUNTRY.
We'd just have to beat out schools like Oregon, Utah, Pitt, Louisville, etc.

Ultimately that's my opinion. We need to be more aggressive on THOSE types of kids. I'm not saying DON'T recruit the 5-star kids, but at some you have to realize you can't compete with what Bama/LSU/UGA/Clemson are offering right now...but you CAN compete with the other programs that are stealing kids from down here.
And if you leave the state to recruit a lower ranked player, he better be the goods. He should be significantly better than the local 3-star kid that you're passing up.

Then this entire argument is flying over your head. This isn’t about not recruiting or prioritizing SFL. This is about recruiting a kid in SFL, treating the OOS kid as a plan B, only to have the Plan B kid say **** you guys and be left with Nigel Bethel or or waiting choosing to recruit a lesser talent because he’s from here than an OOS talent. This is not “make SFL less of a priority” argument.

And my point is flying over your head.

I'm saying EVALUATE THE LOCAL 3-STAR KIDS WHO CAN PLAY AT MIAMI, RECRUIT THEM, STOP LETTING THEM BALL OUT AT PROGRAMS LIKE UTAH, OREGON OR PITT while we go chase some OOS 3-star.

Nobody is saying recruit a local SCRUB...just cause he's local.

Ultimately we haven't even done a good job of evaluating the local kids who can help us...so how the **** can we expect good evaluations on OOS kids?

Advertisement
Nobody is saying ONLY RECRUIT SOUTH FLORIDA.
However, many of those schools you listed don't have the access to as much (local) talent that we do + they compete with poachers.
South Florida is so saturated with D1 talent that even AFTER the poaching from Bama/Clemson/LSU/UGA we could STILL find enough local kids to contribute if we evaluated/recruited better. WE ARE THE MOST SATURATED AREA IN THE COUNTRY.
We'd just have to beat out schools like Oregon, Utah, Pitt, Louisville, etc.

Ultimately that's my opinion. We need to be more aggressive on THOSE types of kids. I'm not saying DON'T recruit the 5-star kids, but at some you have to realize you can't compete with what Bama/LSU/UGA/Clemson are offering right now...but you CAN compete with the other programs that are stealing kids from down here.
And if you leave the state to recruit a lower ranked player, he better be the goods. He should be significantly better than the local 3-star kid that you're passing up.
But that’s not what’s being said either. Clemson’s best player last year was from Kansas, Penn State’s is from VA, LSU’s was from Ohio, etc...We’re not sitting here asking to go nuts over OOS 5* guys.

We’re asking to stop recruiting LaTrell Williams over Kelvin Harmon and Quintez Cepheus.

We’re asking to stop recruiting Kai Lon Herbert over Thayer Munford.

Mike Harley over Emeka Emezie

Robert Burns over ChHubbard

etc....

Getting lucky and find Randall St.Felix or Greg isn’t a way to consistently win.

But that’s not what’s being said either. Clemson’s best player last year was from Kansas, Penn State’s is from VA, LSU’s was from Ohio, etc...We’re not sitting here asking to go nuts over OOS 5* guys.

We’re asking to stop recruiting LaTrell Williams over Kelvin Harmon and Quintez Cepheus.

We’re asking to stop recruiting Kai Lon Herbert over Thayer Munford.

Mike Harley over Emeka Emezie

Robert Burns over ChHubbard

etc....

Getting lucky and find Randall St.Felix or Greg isn’t a way to consistently win.

And I'm asking us to stop recruiting Braxton Berrios over Isaiah McKenzie.

Danny Dillard and Ladarius Gunter over Fabian Moreau.

Jalar Holley over Brandon Dorlus.

"Whoever the fvck" over Tutu Atwell, Rashad Weaver, James Burgess, Skai Moore, etc. (I'm just throwing names out)

Missing on an OOS kid is understandable. HE'S OUT OF STATE. Technically he's not ours to miss on. If he's from Georgia, that's UGA's miss, not ours. If UGA has a future P5 stud under their nose and lets Miami sign him, that's on them. But essentially that's what OOS schools are doing to us in South Florida.

Mis-evaluating or not signing an OOS kid who ends up panning out does NOT make you look as clueless as NOT RECRUITING a local kid who balled in P5. If they're from down here, they're ours to lose, and we should have the leg up in their evaluation process. OOS programs should not be making a living off of our kids down here that we didn't even recruit.

At the end of the day it comes down to EVALUATIONS.

Advertisement
And I'm asking us to stop recruiting Braxton Berrios over Isaiah McKenzie.

Danny Dillard and Ladarius Gunter over Fabian Moreau.

Jalar Holley over Brandon Dorlus.

"Whoever the fvck" over Tutu Atwell, Rashad Weaver, James Burgess, Skai Moore, etc. (I'm just throwing names out)

Missing on an OOS kid is understandable. HE'S OUT OF STATE. Technically he's not ours to miss on. If he's from Georgia, that's UGA's miss, not ours. If UGA has a future P5 stud under their nose and lets Miami sign him, that's on them. But essentially that's what OOS schools are doing to us in South Florida.

Mis-evaluating or not signing an OOS kid who ends up panning out does NOT make you look as clueless as NOT RECRUITING a local kid who balled in P5. If they're from down here, they're ours to lose, and we should have the leg up in their evaluation process. OOS programs should not be making a living off of our kids down here that we didn't even recruit.
See there lays the entire problem. If you offered him and you had him on your board and you missed, then it’s a miss. Doesn’t matter where they’re from. Like I said, right now as we speak we’re gonna take an edge rusher and try to turn in into a LB and let a legacy recruit walk that’s got the same size but played WR,S, and now LB during his time at Palm Bay just because the edge rusher is from here. I get your point but that’s the point I’m trying to get across. It doesn’t matter if they’re from Alaska if they can play and we have him on our board then he should be here. None of this favoritism because he’s from the tri county area stuff.

Last edited:
See there lays the entire problem. If you offered him and you had him on your board and you missed, then it’s a miss. Doesn’t matter where they’re from. Like I said, right now as we speak we’re gonna take an edge rusher and try to turn in into a LB and let a legacy recruit walk that’s got the same size but played WR,S, and now LB during his time at Palm Bay just because the edge rusher is from here. I get your point but that’s the point I’m trying to get across. It doesn’t matter if they’re from Alaska if they can play and we have him on our board then he should be here. None of this favoritism because he’s from the tri county area stuff.

I get your point 100% but I don't think the coaches are offering/signing kids simply cause they're from here. (which is what it seems like you're implying)

Offering a local duck, just cause he's local, is not the move I want. I don't think any of us want that. We've done that in the past too. Offering Ryan Mayes and Dennis Turner, who's best offers were from schools like Akron. I'm talking about offering THE RIGHT local kids. I'm talking about ignoring a local kid with offers from top-25 programs to go OOS for somebody who's not better. THAT has been my issue.

I get your point 100% but I don't think the coaches are offering/signing kids simply cause they're from here. (which is what it seems like you're implying)

Offering a local duck, just cause he's local, is not the move I want. I don't think any of us want that. We've done that in the past too. Offering Ryan Mayes and Dennis Turner, who's best offers were from schools like Akron. I'm talking about offering THE RIGHT local kids. I'm talking about ignoring a local kid with offers from top-25 programs to go OOS for somebody who's not better. THAT has been my issue.
No not lame duck but kids that have talent but a kid that has more is pushed to the side.

Chase Smith: from Palm Bay, 4*, former Safety, WR/OLB Legacy recruit. Dad played TE here.

Jacorey Hammet: 3* edge rusher from MNW

Again Player B is talented but tell me the logic of taking him over player A at OLB when he was a safety and has experience dropping in coverage plus ball skill. Similar bodies and frames and you could make an argument that Chase has the better frame just off bloodline. This is what I’m talking about.

No not lame duck but kids that have talent but a kid that has more is pushed to the side.

Chase Smith: from Palm Bay, 4*, former Safety, WR/OLB Legacy recruit. Dad played TE here.

Jacorey Hammet: 3* edge rusher from MNW

Again Player B is talented but tell me the logic of taking him over player A at OLB when he was a safety and has experience dropping in coverage plus ball skill. Similar bodies and frames and you could make an argument that Chase has the better frame just off bloodline. This is what I’m talking about.

I can't justify that. But as you can probably tell, I'm not a fan of our coaching staff's ability to evaluate players.
Chase Smith looks like an Isaiah Simmons type kid.

Advertisement
Back