OOS Recruiting: Looking Westward to Texas

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Many of us have been advocating this for months, especially at QB. ( @Liberty City El ) We've given out a number of offers at a few positions in Texas as well as Cali, LA, and others. With local kids looking more and more to leave the state, it's going to be important for Miami to use it's national brand to look outside for talent. We've got staff that have connections in these states. It seems like we've at least been putting out offers. Hopefully we will start putting more effort in recruiting these kids. This season is going to be important for this too...

There have been a few interesting articles online regarding Texas recruiting in recent weeks. Some of the highlights I picked up from them are as follows:

Texas' reputation as a cradle of offensive firepower and innovation at the high school level, dating to the 1990's. The spread offense spread like wildfire across Texas in the 2000's, and it's hard to find a game on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night in the fall featuring a non-shotgun offense, especially in the 5A and 6A classifications.

The number of skill players from Texas speaks for itself. According to MaxPreps, Texas has produced more quarterback draft picks (18) in the last 10 years than any other state, with high-profile first-rounders such as Patrick Mahomes II, Kyler Murray, and Baker Mayfield highlighting that list in recent drafts. Texas is second to only Florida in number of receivers drafted in the last 10 years.

Of the top 150 players in Texas on the 247Sports Composite 2020 rankings, 66 signed with out-of-state schools that are not in states bordering Texas -- 57 Power Five signees, nine Group of Five signees. Of those 57 P5 players, only five signed with Alabama or Ohio State. The remaining 52 went far and wide, including 20 to the Pac-12, 10 to the Big Ten, and seven to the ACC.

Looks like we aren't the only ACC team who is looking hard at OOS talent. Va Tech is also dishing out the offers in Texas the past two cycles. They are struggling to keep the in-state talent home now, too.

From a 247 article:

The 247Sports database shows two Virginia Tech offers in Texas in 2012, then no TXHSFB offers the next three cycles. The 2016 class that saw QB Jerod Evans sign with Virginia Tech also featured four high school offers in Texas, but in 2017, that number dipped back to two. Virginia Tech offered four Texans in 2018 before the first noticeable jump in 2019, when the Hokies targeted nine Texans.

That number soared to 32 in the 2020 class. The 2021 class in Texas has seen a whopping 46 Virginia Tech offers and counting. That makes for almost 80 known Virginia Tech offers in Texas in the 2020 and 2021 classes, an enormous number considering the previous eight cycles saw a total of 21.

The #TX2VT movement, as Virginia Tech football has branded it, technically started this past November, when Galena Park North Shore 2021 four-star quarterback Dematrius Davis committed to the Hokies. While he obviously has not yet signed with Virginia Tech, Davis' commitment sparked the perception of VT's arrival on the TXHSFB recruiting scene. Davis is not only a national top 100 prospect in the Top247 rankings with almost 30 offers nationwide, but he is one of the most visible stars in TXHSFB as a two-time state championship-winning quarterback in Texas' largest classification (Class 6A Division I).

A little more than a month after Davis' announcement,DE Alec Bryant and DE Robert Wooten inked during the Early Signing Period to give the Hokies two Texans in the 2020 class. Virginia Tech's momentum has continued in recent weeks with the commitment of Fort Bend Hightower wideout Latrell Neville, a four-star recruit on the 247Sports Composite. Neville, who has reported offers from more than 40 programs, committed April 5 to the Hokies.

Beau Davidson is a major reason for Virginia Tech's increased attention to Texas. Davidson, assistant director of player personnel, is a native of the Lone Star State, where he played high school football at Houston-area powerhouse Katy High School, which is tied for the most state championships in Texas history with eight.

“This is one of the mistakes I made when I got here, quite honestly," Fuente said of not hitting Texas sooner.

Seems like there is an opportunity in Texas -

Advertisement
Recruiting in Texas?

152F0E51-505B-4DA5-8D22-BD044B797293.gif

I'm a Miami alum who has lived in Texas most of my life (yea, I retired to Arizona). Miami fans take great pride in the caliber of high school football in the Sunshine State. And they should. But there are storm clouds forming around Florida as a recruiting hotbed.

I would not say Florida is the most fertile recruiting ground for talent anymore. For two reasons. First, the numbers say so. Texas has comparable talent but a lot more of it. The depth of high caliber talent far exceeds Florida. Just look at QB prospects from both states. Or OL talent.

The second reason is culture. This is important since our Canes, as does FSU and UF, struggle to keep in-state talent home. The recruiting culture in Florida, particularly in south Florida, is all about self interest. Who can get me to the NFL and who has the best incentives. That's not to say Texas kids don't have some of these same traits, but they are not as widespread or as deep as in Florida. Florida divas are notorious. Street agents in south Florida control the recruiting landscape with the elote talent. Not many schools like to recruit Florida kids but must at this point in time. Coaches don't like the instability that comes with a Florida prospect's commitment. Texas kids are more loyal to their state and to "family" schools. Have you ever talked to an Aggie family? Or a Long Horn family? They go way back.

Can a school go into Texas and grab some of that talent? Yes, because they usually have enough to supply the 8 P5 and G5 schools in state with plenty to spare.

Recruiting has always been about relationships. Prospect to coach. Coach to coach. Family to school. Miami's coaching staff has some key relationships in Texas, particularly our coordinators, Rhett Lashlee and Blake Baker. The key will be to develop relationships with coaches at key target schools in the Houston and Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Of particualar interest should be QBs and linemen. They grow them BIG in Texas.

Yes, there are other states Miami should have a major presence, such as California, Georgia, DMV, Louisiana and NJ/NY. Miami has quietly shifted their recruiting stratgey over the past two years. Coach Diaz is hitting Florida hard at the beginning of the cycle, but is moving on if the south Florida talent shows any sign of disinterest or game-playing. Just look at the number of OOS offers this cycle. Out of Miami's current 239 scholarship offers, 107 are to Florida prospects, followed by Georgia (26), Texas (22), California (16), Louisiana (12) and NJ/NY (13). Miami's still strong national brand allows him this strategy.

If Miami is successful with this new OOS strategy in this cycle, look for Diaz to become even more aggressive in the 2022 recruiting cycle. The south Florida culture will force Miami elsewhere. Eventually, FHSF will suffer and decline. Sad to see, but the U can not and will not be held captive by the south Florida divas.

Advertisement
I'm a Miami alum who has lived in Texas most of my life (yea, I retired to Arizona). Miami fans take great pride in the caliber of high school football in the Sunshine State. And they should. But there are storm clouds forming around Florida as a recruiting hotbed.

I would not say Florida is the most fertile recruiting ground for talent anymore. For two reasons. First, the numbers say so. Texas has comparable talent but a lot more of it. The depth of high caliber talent far exceeds Florida. Just look at QB prospects from both states. Or OL talent.

The second reason is culture. This is important since our Canes, as does FSU and UF, struggle to keep in-state talent home. The recruiting culture in Florida, particularly in south Florida, is all about self interest. Who can get me to the NFL and who has the best incentives. That's not to say Texas kids don't have some of these same traits, but they are not as widespread or as deep as in Florida. Florida divas are notorious. Street agents in south Florida control the recruiting landscape with the elote talent. Not many schools like to recruit Florida kids but must at this point in time. Coaches don't like the instability that comes with a Florida prospect's commitment. Texas kids are more loyal to their state and to "family" schools. Have you ever talked to an Aggie family? Or a Long Horn family? They go way back.

Can a school go into Texas and grab some of that talent? Yes, because they usually have enough to supply the 8 P5 and G5 schools in state with plenty to spare.

Recruiting has always been about relationships. Prospect to coach. Coach to coach. Family to school. Miami's coaching staff has some key relationships in Texas, particularly our coordinators, Rhett Lashlee and Blake Baker. The key will be to develop relationships with coaches at key target schools in the Houston and Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Of particualar interest should be QBs and linemen. They grow them BIG in Texas.

Yes, there are other states Miami should have a major presence, such as California, Georgia, DMV, Louisiana and NJ/NY. Miami has quietly shifted their recruiting stratgey over the past two years. Coach Diaz is hitting Florida hard at the beginning of the cycle, but is moving on if the south Florida talent shows any sign of disinterest or game-playing. Just look at the number of OOS offers this cycle. Out of Miami's current 239 scholarship offers, 107 are to Florida prospects, followed by Georgia (26), Texas (22), California (16), Louisiana (12) and NJ/NY (13). Miami's still strong national brand allows him this strategy.

If Miami is successful with this new OOS strategy in this cycle, look for Diaz to become even more aggressive in the 2022 recruiting cycle. The south Florida culture will force Miami elsewhere. Eventually, FHSF will suffer and decline. Sad to see, but the U can not and will not be held captive by the south Florida divas.
Really?

EEX56A1WsAMOxtH.png

PhotoGrid_1513749393038.jpg
PhotoGrid_1513749350214.jpg
Screenshot_2020-04-25-12-29-13(1).png
Screenshot_2020-04-25-12-33-54(1).png
Screenshot_2020-04-28-16-57-25(1).png

Last edited:

the numbers don’t lie: Florida has a plethora of talent; however it’s clear that 1. We're not getting that elite talent in south Florida and 2. The three star, gritty, south Florida home boys aren’t enough to continue advancing the state of this program. Some of this is coaching for sure, some of it is pure whiffs in recruiting evaluations, and some, quite simply, is the mask we all wear that indicates our kids are better than kids in other states. We need to look out of state more, and if you don’t think so then you’re just a Florida homer (not directing that at you just in general).

the numbers don’t lie: Florida has a plethora of talent; however it’s clear that 1. We're not getting that elite talent in south Florida and 2. The three star, gritty, south Florida home boys aren’t enough to continue advancing the state of this program. Some of this is coaching for sure, some of it is pure whiffs in recruiting evaluations, and some, quite simply, is the mask we all wear that indicates our kids are better than kids in other states. We need to look out of state more, and if you don’t think so then you’re just a Florida homer (not directing that at you just in general).

I'm not a fan of filling our roster with 3-star kids but I believe with proper coaching the 3-star South Florida kids could easily get us to the ACC Championship game yearly. That would have us highly ranked and would allow us to be in play for more of the 4/5 star elite guys. There's 3-star South Florida kids that Miami didn't offer who are currently in the NFL, being drafted this week or contributing at winning programs RIGHT NOW. That comes down to evaluations, and we've been slacking in that department for a while.

I hate watching local 3-star kids (who weren't offered by Miami) go to out-of-state programs and ball out. And then we turn around and sign an out-of-town 3-star kid instead. To justify that move, that out-of-town 3-star kid better be significantly more talented than the local one.
If there's a local 3-star kid that can excel at a top-25 program, Miami should know about him and already have first dibs. There shouldn't be a single kid down here that is being recruited by an elite program (think top-15 or so) that doesn't already have an offer from Miami. But we see it all the time.

Some people will say "well maybe that kid wasn't a scheme fit".
THEN CHANGE YOUR FVCKIN SCHEME. If you employ a scheme that doesn't allow you to sign the best players from your backyard, then you don't belong here to begin with. (I.E. Al Golden with his 2-gap 3-4 defense + every OC that's been here before Lashlee)

At the end of the day, out-of-state programs should not be evaluating our local 3-star kids better than we are.

Advertisement
I'm not a fan of filling our roster with 3-star kids but I believe with proper coaching the 3-star South Florida kids could easily get us to the ACC Championship game yearly. That would have us highly ranked and would allow us to be in play for more of the 4/5 star elite guys. There's 3-star South Florida kids that Miami didn't offer who are currently in the NFL, being drafted this week or contributing at winning programs RIGHT NOW. That comes down to evaluations, and we've been slacking in that department for a while.

I hate watching local 3-star kids (who weren't offered by Miami) go to out-of-state programs and ball out. And then we turn around and sign an out-of-town 3-star kid instead. To justify that move, that out-of-town 3-star kid better be significantly more talented than the local one.
If there's a local 3-star kid that can excel at a top-25 program, Miami should know about him and already have first dibs. There shouldn't be a single kid down here that is being recruited by an elite program (think top-15 or so) that doesn't already have an offer from Miami. But we see it all the time.

Some people will say "well maybe that kid wasn't a scheme fit".
THEN CHANGE YOUR FVCKIN SCHEME. If you employ a scheme that doesn't allow you to sign the best players from your backyard, then you don't belong here to begin with. (I.E. Al Golden with his 2-gap 3-4 defense + every OC that's been here before Lashlee)

At the end of the day, out-of-state programs should not be evaluating our local 3-star kids better than we are.
Stop with this proper coaching skit. It doesn’t matter how good your coaching is when the kid is 150 pounds soaking wet and is at least 3 years away in a good weight training program. Not only are this kids soft but they don’t carry NFL/P5 frames anymore. SFL is filled with projects after the top 50 or so in the state and even though high level programs take kids that need to developed all the time, they don’t take 3 year projects.

Stop with this proper coaching skit. It doesn’t matter how good your coaching is when the kid is 150 pounds soaking wet and is at least 3 years away in a good weight training program. Not only are this kids soft but they don’t carry NFL/P5 frames anymore. SFL is filled with projects after the top 50 or so in the state and even though high level programs take kids that need to developed all the time, they don’t take 3 year projects.
Have to agree in today’s football of 3 and done with no one wanting to take redshirts the time or allowing these kids to grow the way they should have is over...

Reason Texas is taking off and other similar states with superior coaching is just that. Superior coaching and infrastructure( nutrition, weight rooms, expectations, football camps)

this isn’t a bash but it’s known that Texas kids come out very polished and ready to hit the ground running....

Am I saying to pass on Tutus, Popes, Cam Davis, and those types?? **** NO!

But to not have one coach (maybe even two) not hitting Texas hard every cycle and grabbing 2 or 3 kids is a disservice to your overall team when Lesser schools not named UT, OU or TAMU like Baylor, TCU, Okie st, and Texas tech are finding and putting in kids to the league at a way higher and faster clip than us with actual team success to boot

Advertisement
You're implying that a 3-star kid is a 150lbs soaking wet and/or a 3 year project? What kind of dumb a$$, asinine, misinformed statement is that? LOL

I've coached plenty of 3-star kids from South Florida who went to P5 programs and started/played early, two of which are currently in the NFL.

Have to agree in today’s football of 3 and done with no one wanting to take redshirts the time or allowing these kids to grow the way they should have is over...

Reason Texas is taking off and other similar states with superior coaching is just that. Superior coaching and infrastructure( nutrition, weight rooms, expectations, football camps)

this isn’t a bash but it’s known that Texas kids come out very polished and ready to hit the ground running....

Am I saying to pass on Tutus, Popes, Cam Davis, and those types?? **** NO!

But to not have one coach (maybe even two) not hitting Texas hard every cycle and grabbing 2 or 3 kids is a disservice to your overall team when Lesser schools not named UT, OU or TAMU like Baylor, TCU, Okie st, and Texas tech are finding and putting in kids to the league at a way higher and faster clip than us with actual team success to boot
His statement is, for lack of better words, stupid as fvck.

You're implying that a 3-star kid is a 150lbs soaking wet and/or a 3 year project? What kind of dumb a$$, asinine, misinformed statement is that? LOL

I've coached plenty of 3-star kids from South Florida who went to P5 programs and started/played early, two of which are currently in the NFL.
Lmfao, am I supposed to give you a cookie for getting Fabian Moreau to UCLA? Who btw was a 6’0 174 pounds when he left western... not 5’10 145 like Tim Burns but you know make my point and **** using players that actually had P5 frames for where they were recruited to play to try and prove me wrong. Great idea...

Advertisement
While I do agree that Miami should recruit more nationally (Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, DMV,) this was a real good year for Texas... and just an okay year for South Florida. Broward has 2 guys already being mocked in the top 10 for next years draft. There is nothing wrong with observing the landscape by year and knowing when to stack up on local kids vs OOS

Some elite South Florida kids are not signing with Miami. So we react by focusing on an area where we have close to zero chance of getting elite kids? Somebody needs to explain the logic to me.

This OOS movement is an emotional reaction. Top South Florida kids hurt us and we react. People don't react as strongly when top OOS kids drop us because it happens so early. The actual numbers say we sign much higher-rated prospects locally than we do anywhere else.

If we are posting stats, the numbers posted by @Coach Macho speak for themselves. Florida is still top dog in producing players by a good distance.

As for following Virginia Tech's lead, as @Hoyacane1620 suggested in the OP, they finished 73rd in recruiting last year and the local coaches hate them. We finished 13th. I wouldn't follow that example.

Texas has great football players. It's the third best football state by the numbers. But we aren't getting the top players there with a 6-7 record. Anybody that believes otherwise is delusional. We could make a more concerted effort to get sleepers from there. But there is no evidence we will be more successful finding sleepers there. Our OOS sleepers are usually worse, and if they are good, they get poached like Daran Branch and Romello Height.

Advertisement
Back