OOS Recruiting: Looking Westward to Texas

You need to find 3 and 4 star kids who fit your system who you know can develop. That’s where this program is.. if manny can’t get it done we need to find a coach who can because that’s where the program is

So how are we more likely to find those sleepers in Texas, when we couldn't even find the 5 local three stars who got drafted? All of those guys were at top programs, too.

Recruiting gets even harder the further away you get. We are lucky that talent is local. That is why we still recruit at a solid level despite a decade of horrible on-field results.

I’m all for hitting Texas hard when we are in a position to chase top guys. Specifically, I think D’Eriq King’s success can open up Houston for us, which is the second-best Metro in the country. But it’s not as easy as marching into Texas with a 6-7 program.

Advertisement
Recruiting gets even harder the further away you get.

That's still true. But distance has become less and less of an obstacle to recruiting. It is just easier to get information now.
And if you have a coach that was just recently in Texas, and already has relationships with Texas coaches and Texas recruits, that distance seems even less critical.

But ultimately I do agree we need to handle our business on the field if we want traction with blue chip recruits anywhere (whether that is South Florida, Texas, California, Louisiana, Georgia, NJ, Arizona, or elsewhere)

That's still true. But distance has become less and less of an obstacle to recruiting. It is just easier to get information now.

Unfortunately this cuts both ways. You can pour a ton of resources into a sleeper like Daran Branch that you identify through local connections. Then his senior HUDL comes out and big schools closer to home slide in with offers.

It is harder to hold onto sleepers these days. They need to really love your school.

Lmfao, am I supposed to give you a cookie for getting Fabian Moreau to UCLA? Who btw was a 6’0 174 pounds when he left western... not 5’10 145 like Tim Burns but you know make my point and **** using players that actually had P5 frames for where they were recruited to play to try and prove me wrong. Great idea...

Cookie? No. You're supposed to be level-headed and smart enough to understand that 3-star players aren't 150lb projects who need 3 years to contribute. Like, where do you even get that from? You can't possibly be around the high school football world.

He was 6'0" 185lbs by the way, but that's besides the point. He's not the only 3-star kid that I personally know who went on to a P5 program and contributed early. Rashad Weaver is another one. He was offered by all of the Northern/Midwestern schools that poach our area for the Big-3's leftovers.

These are the type of 3-star kids I'm referring to, you fvckin' goofball.
Want me to keep naming kids? There's a plethora of 3-star kids in South Florida that can excel at Miami and help get us to the ACC Championship game yearly. Kids like that require GOOD EVALUATIONS, though. They're not "no brainers" like the 4/5 star kids.

Fify

Especially trying to use dudes that had good frame to prove your “point”.
MF'er YOU are the one that implied that 3-star kids are "150lb projects".

Moreau is not the only 3-star kid who had the ideal frame for P5 football. SMH

Advertisement
Unfortunately this cuts both ways. You can pour a ton of resources into a sleeper like Daran Branch that you identify through local connections. Then his senior HUDL comes out and big schools closer to home slide in with offers.

It is harder to hold onto sleepers these days. They need to really love your school.

100%. People don't stay asleep as long as they used to on some of these talented kids.
Branch is a good example. UM commit in March. Ole Miss gets the flip. Kirby looks around, says, "cool, thanks for finding this one guys," puts out a December offer and gets the kid to flip.

Cookie? No. You're supposed to be level-headed and smart enough to understand that 3-star players aren't 150lb projects who need 3 years to contribute. Like, where do you even get that from? You can't possibly be around the high school football world.

He was 6'0" 185lbs by the way, but that's besides the point. He's not the only 3-star kid that I personally know who went on to a P5 program and contributed early. Rashad Weaver is another one. He was offered by all of the Northern/Midwestern schools that poach our area for the Big-3's leftovers.

Want me to keep naming kids? There's a plethora of 3-star kids in South Florida that can excel at Miami and help get us to the ACC Championship game yearly. Kids like that require GOOD EVALUATIONS, though. They're not "no brainers" like the 4/5 star kids.

Because for the most part they ****** do lol and anybody who’s trying to argue that point doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Btw those kids don’t require “good” evaluations. Every single one of them have traits that you want like length, speed, ball skills, or they’re at a small school, etc and if not that they go to G5 where they got an even lesser chance of making it. The majority of your entire team are like that out side of Justice, Phillip, and Jaizun. Yet here you are trying to argue with me.

Last edited:
View attachment 115768
Allen High School - Eagles Stadium - Allen Texas

They take their football very serious in the Lone Star State. They fill this stadium for every game (20,000)

I've been to a state HS championship game with 48,000 in attendance.

cool story...5 teams in south florida would beat them..teams with 1300 a game attendance.

Because for the most part they ****** do lol and anybody who’s trying to argue that point doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Btw those kids don’t require “good” evaluations. Every single one of them have traits that you want like length, speed, ball skills, they’re at a small school, etc and if not that they go to G5 where they got an even lesser chance of making it. The majority of your entire team are like that out side of Justice, Phillip, and Jaizun. Yet here you are trying to argue with me.
22EE8713-ACDB-4C2E-BF8D-A6EA8ECC48CD.gif

Advertisement
Some elite South Florida kids are not signing with Miami. So we react by focusing on an area where we have close to zero chance of getting elite kids? Somebody needs to explain the logic to me.

This OOS movement is an emotional reaction. Top South Florida kids hurt us and we react. People don't react as strongly when top OOS kids drop us because it happens so early. The actual numbers say we sign much higher-rated prospects locally than we do anywhere else.

If we are posting stats, the numbers posted by @Coach Macho speak for themselves. Florida is still top dog in producing players by a good distance.

As for following Virginia Tech's lead, as @Hoyacane1620 suggested in the OP, they finished 73rd in recruiting last year and the local coaches hate them. We finished 13th. I wouldn't follow that example.

Texas has great football players. It's the third best football state by the numbers. But we aren't getting the top players there with a 6-7 record. Anybody that believes otherwise is delusional. We could make a more concerted effort to get sleepers from there. But there is no evidence we will be more successful finding sleepers there. Our OOS sleepers are usually worse, and if they are good, they get poached like Daran Branch and Romello Height.

It's just part of the anti-Florida agenda that's growing on here. Sour grapes.

"LET'S GO HUNT FOR SLEEPERS IN TEXAS SINCE THE ELITE SOUTH FLORIDA KIDS SPURN US!"

Because for the most part they ****** do lol and anybody who’s trying to argue that point doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Btw those kids don’t require “good” evaluations. Every single one of them have traits that you want like length, speed, ball skills, or they’re at a small school, etc and if not that they go to G5 where they got an even lesser chance of making it. The majority of your entire team are like that out side of Justice, Phillip, and Jaizun. Yet here you are trying to argue with me.

Bro WTF are you talking about? LOL

You implied that 3-star kids are 150lb projects.
I named a couple 3-star kids who excelled at P5 schools early.
Your response is "Well they had the frames!"

MF'ER THEY WERE STILL 3-STAR KIDS!!!!
You're just proving my point!

You think Moreau and Weaver are the only 3-star kids walking around South Florida that can play P5 football?!
*Juwan Dowels was another 3-star kid I had with offers from Oklahoma, Clemson and TAMU. Signed with Syracuse and redshirted to put on weight. Got to 5'10" 188lbs, ran a laser 4.47 and was Cuse's best CB the minute he stepped on the field. If not for injury issues likely would've been a 4-year starter and in the league. Easily could've contributed at Miami and would've committed on the spot.
*Brandon Dorlus. A lean, athletic 6'3" 262 DE/DT. Former b-ball kid. Offers from UF and Clemson. 3-star kid. Signed with Oregon and played/contributed as a True Freshman.
*Jon Feliciano. 3-star kid. Left high school at 6'5" 320lbs and became a 4-year starter at Miami. He also had a teammate at Western that year who was a 3-star LB (6'1" 217lbs 4.5 forty) who signed with MSU.
*Kervins Choute. 3-star kid. 6'3" 261lb DE/DT with offers from Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc. Wasn't offered by Miami, which is understandable. That's not the point though. We're talking about frames of 3-star kids. Kid has been at UCF for only a few months and he's already a lean 277.

Whether Miami should've offered these kids or not, isn't the point. We're talking P5 readiness.
Just speaking on kids I've personally come in contact with over the years. And I'm sure there's tons more that I don't even know about. Plenty of 3-star kids who's bodies were P5 ready. I don't know who the **** lied to you and told you that 3-star South FLA kids are 150lb projects.
I guess 3-star Zack Moss, who balled out at Utah and just got drafted by the Bills, was a 150lb project. LOL
3-star Damon Arnette was a 150lb project! Both of these kids would've been starters on our team.

You bring up Justice and O'Brien. Those are both 3-star kids with P5 frames/size. (I don't even think Justice is rated at all)
I can't really speak on our other prospects because they're all 2022 and I don't know what they'll be ranked yet.

But this assumption that 3-star kids are undersized projects is flat-out dumb and misinformed. LOL

Last edited:
So how are we more likely to find those sleepers in Texas, when we couldn't even find the 5 local three stars who got drafted? All of those guys were at top programs, too.

Recruiting gets even harder the further away you get. We are lucky that talent is local. That is why we still recruit at a solid level despite a decade of horrible on-field results.

I’m all for hitting Texas hard when we are in a position to chase top guys. Specifically, I think D’Eriq King’s success can open up Houston for us, which is the second-best Metro in the country. But it’s not as easy as marching into Texas with a 6-7 program.
So you’d rather not even try and assume failure?
What a crappy way to live life lol

All I’m saying is we need to have a coach Brought in with Texas roots/respect who Is in charge of wrangling us up kids from some of those powerhouse schools. Houston and DFW... just like all schools seem to have a SFlorida connection we need to have a Texas connection to tap into

it’s been talked about before but nationally a lot more middle tier kids still have love and respect for the U... it’s not like in Florida where everyone keeps up with them religiously and people can come down with negativity and remind kids how much we’ve sucked *** lately

Bro WTF are you talking about? LOL

You implied that 3-star kids are 150lb projects.
I named a couple 3-star kids who excelled at P5 schools early.
Your response is "Well they had the frames!"

MF'ER THEY WERE STILL 3-STAR KIDS!!!!
You're just proving my point!

You think Moreau and Weaver are the only 3-star kids walking around South Florida that can play P5 football?!
*Juwan Dowels was another 3-star kid I had with offers from Oklahoma, Clemson and TAMU. Signed with Syracuse and redshirted to put on weight. Got to 5'10" 188lbs, ran a laser 4.47 and was Cuse's best CB the minute he stepped on the field. If not for injury issues likely would've been a 4-year starter and in the league. Easily could've contributed at Miami and would've committed on the spot. Wasn't offered by Miami.
*Brandon Dorlus. A lean, athletic 6'3" 262 DE/DT. Former b-ball kid. Offers from UF and Clemson. 3-star kid. Signed with Oregon and played/contributed as a True Freshman. Wasn't offered by Miami.
*Jon Feliciano. 3-star kid. Only got a Miami offer cause our HC brought him to the spring game. If not for that he likely would've signed with
FSU. Left high school at 6'5" 320lbs and become a 4-year starter at Miami. He also had a teammate at Western that year who was a 3-star LB (6'1" 217lbs 4.5 forty) who signed with MSU.
*Kervins Choute. 3-star kid. 6'3" 261lb DE/DT with offers from Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc. Wasn't offered by Miami, but I don't blame them. That's not the point though. We're talking about frames of 3-star kids. Kid has been at UCF for only a few months and he's already a lean 277.

Whether Miami should've offered these kids or not, isn't the point. We're talking P5 readiness.
Just speaking on kids I've personally come in contact with over the years. And I'm sure there's tons more that I don't even know about. Plenty of 3-star kids who's bodies were P5 ready. I don't know who the **** lied to you and told you that 3-star South FLA kids are 150lb projects.
I guess 3-star Zack Moss, who balled out at Utah and just got drafted by the Bills, was a 150lb project. LOL
Damon Arnette was a 150lb project!

You bring up Justice and O'Brien. Those are both 3-star kids with P5 frames/size. (I don't even think Justice is rated at all)
I can't really speak on our other prospects because they're all 2022 and I don't know what they'll be ranked yet.

But this assumption that 3-star kids are undersized projects is flat-out dumb and misinformed. LOL
Thanks for proving my point big dawg because every single dude you posted had a trait to develop. Then you posted about Kervins and all his offers from P5 but where did he go? UCF. Why? because he was 6'3 261, was recruited to be a DT and still isn't even close to 300 pounds. Great job, you made my job pretty easy.

Advertisement
Thanks for proving my point big dawg because every single dude you posted had a trait to develop. Then you posted about Kervins and all his offers from P5 but where did he go? UCF. Why? because he was 6'3 261, was recruited to be a DT and still isn't even close to 300 pounds. Great job, you made my job pretty easy.

WTF are you talkin' about?! How does that prove your point?
I just named a bunch of kids that contributed early at P5 schools! LOL
Every one of them contributed or started by their RS Freshman year.

And Kervins signed with UCF because he's only been in this country 5 years, is close to his mom and wasn't feeling the atmosphere at Tennessee or Kentucky. He didn't sign with UCF because that was his only option. He hasn't even started his Freshman year yet and he's already 277. He'll be ready to hit the field after 2 wing sessions with me at Bru's Room. He's THAT close. The **** are you talkin' about?!

Bruh you talk like you know details. You don't know ****.

Advertisement
Ya'll really go galaxy brain when it comes to recruiting.

Just stick with the state of Florida, then we can cherry pick a few OOS guys every year. When we're consistently 10-2 and in the mix for the ACC annually, then maybe lets talk about strategically going elsewhere to get to that next level. But, focus on local recruiting first.

How many south Florida kids were on our last title winning team or any of our title teams.

Which helps your point HOW? lol
maybe you're too stupid to understand I'll put it nice and bold(which on par for most sfl coaches).

JUST BECAUSE YOU PUT UP SOME KIDS THAT WERE 3* KIDS DOESN'T CHANGE THAT CERTAIN KIDS HAVE OTHER SKILLS THAT MAKE THEM DESIRABLE. IT DOESN'T CHANGE THAT MOST OF THESE KIDS ARE NOT P5 LEVEL AND YOU AND OTHER DOLTS AROUND WANT TO RECRUIT THEM OVER KIDS FROM OTHER STATES OR OTHER REGIONS OF FLORIDA. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TELL WHEN SOMEONE IS BEING METAPHORIC AND YOU TAKE IT LITERALLY DOESN'T MAKE YOU RIGHT. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON WHY EVERY SINGLE STAFF THINKS IT'S OK TO TAKE KAI-LON HERBERT OVER A PLAYER LIKE THAYER MUNFORD.

Advertisement
Back