OOS Recruiting: Looking Westward to Texas

Stop with this proper coaching skit. It doesn’t matter how good your coaching is when the kid is 150 pounds soaking wet and is at least 3 years away in a good weight training program. Not only are this kids soft but they don’t carry NFL/P5 frames anymore. SFL is filled with projects after the top 50 or so in the state and even though high level programs take kids that need to developed all the time, they don’t take 3 year projects.
You're way off basis of what Coach said. What does 3-star have to do with 3 year 150 lbs soaking wet as you put it?

Advertisement
This jump is most noticeable in Alabama’s title-winning teams.

The Tide’s 2009 team was built mostly via players from their region as 18.3 percent of signees from their previous four classes hailed from outside Alabama or a bordering state. That number climbed steadily with each proceeding champion: 2011 (21.4%), 2012 (26.4%), 2015 (30.4%), 2016 (37.2%).

That article supports what we've been saying. Look at Alabama in the quote above. They built their first good team locally, and then branched out more and more as they became more successful. That's the proper order, not the other way around.

If you can recruit five stars across the country, you do it. The question is what is the best approach when you are a 7-win program? Based on our past results, our local players have outperformed our OOS players by a good margin. That tells me there is no advantage to recruiting even more OOS until we become a better team.

Advertisement
The 7 Texas QBs who participated in the Elite 11 Finals:

From left to right:
Behren Morton, Garrett Nussmeier, Dee Davis, Maddox Kopp, Kyron Drones, Kaidon Salter, Grayson James

Last edited:
Advertisement
You know I’m all about Texas recruits but this is misleading - Texas is frickin HUGE, so much that Cali/GA/FL could all fit inside of Texas and still not fill the Texas footprint.

Nonetheless the caliber of HS coaching in Texas (due to $$$/resources) is 2nd to none. I don’t understand how Mario isn’t targeting them as his 2nd/3rd most visited territory.

You know I’m all about Texas recruits but this is misleading - Texas is frickin HUGE, so much that Cali/GA/FL could all fit inside of Texas and still not fill the Texas footprint.

Nonetheless the caliber of HS coaching in Texas (due to $$$/resources) is 2nd to none. I don’t understand how Mario isn’t targeting them as his 2nd/3rd most visited territory.
Too far away, he's locked in on Georgia as 2nd and North Florida as 3rd.

Advertisement
For UGA's 2024 class, 19 of their 28 commits were from out of state, meaning non-Georgia kids.

For Michigan, it was 23 of their 26 commits were non-Michigan kids.

For Bama, it was 17 out of their 28. Although Bama had a really high concentration of Bama kids in their class, more than they usually do.

For Texas, it was 10 out of their 22 were non-Texas kids. (Shocking right..)

For Clemson, it was 20 out of their 22 were non-Carolina kids (both North & South).

For Oregon, it was 23 out of 27.

For Ohio ST, it was 13 out of 23 non-Ohio kids.

For UF, 12 of their 19 were non Florida kids.

Of the major recruiting powers, only Miami, FSU, LSU, Auburn & Ole Miss signed predominantly in state recruits.

We are a program that can and should recruit nationally. Pigeon holing ourselves to south Florida is stoopit. We have seen success in Georgia & Alabama. Texas makes sense. As LCE/Memnon has pointed out the kids from Houston metro area should like being near a major coty or at least feel comfortable at a place like Miami. My $0.02.

Go Canes!

For UGA's 2024 class, 19 of their 28 commits were from out of state, meaning non-Georgia kids.

For Michigan, it was 23 of their 26 commits were non-Michigan kids.

For Bama, it was 17 out of their 28. Although Bama had a really high concentration of Bama kids in their class, more than they usually do.

For Texas, it was 10 out of their 22 were non-Texas kids. (Shocking right..)

For Clemson, it was 20 out of their 22 were non-Carolina kids (both North & South).

For Oregon, it was 23 out of 27.

For Ohio ST, it was 13 out of 23 non-Ohio kids.

For UF, 12 of their 19 were non Florida kids.

Of the major recruiting powers, only Miami, FSU, LSU, Auburn & Ole Miss signed predominantly in state recruits.
So the wall back up?

Advertisement
Top 10 players from Florida we’ve landed the last 10 years

Silvera
Pope
Lingard
Payton
Taylor
Williams
McDermott
Chad Thomas

Mario has landed Mauigoa, Blount, Patterson