One thing that bothered me

Salt

"Assigned species at birth"
Is how we defended GTs run option. It seemed the guy assigned to the qb would be in position to force the pitch but would let up instead of hitting the qb. I thought by not doing this you are not disrupting the timing of the play and increasing your chances of a turnover.

While technically it was assignment football I just felt that extra point of punishing the qb while also forcing the play wide would have created more opportunities for a botched play on their side. I saw this on more than one occasion. The guy would let up and just pursue the ball carrier but he was already out of the play by then anyways.

Advertisement
Idk. Maybe fear of missing the aggressive open field tackle and leaving the outside man alone with the QB and pitch man?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We just held GT to like their lowest offensive output ever (ok, probably not, but no one holds them to 226 rushing yards and 281 total yards).

2016: 267 rushing, 361 total
2015: 314 rushing, 373 total
2014: 318 rushing, 371 total
2013: 335 rushing, 401 total
2012: 287 rushing, 419 total

Last edited:
We just held GT to like their lowest offensive output ever (ok, probably not, but no one holds them to 226 rushing yards and 281 total yards).

2016: 267 rushing, 361 total
2015: 314 rushing, 373 total
2014: 318 rushing, 371 total
2013: 335 rushing, 401 total
2012: 287 rushing, 419 total

True. I guess my point is how many times was the pitchman caught from behind by the guy assigned the qb? You are out of the play by then. I just felt you are better off disrupting the play instead of just forcing the pitch.
It would have been nice to have gotten a turnover and momentum change during long methodical drives by GT.

Last edited:
I don't know, maybe one of our resident experts can dissect it. There was one pitch play where I swore we were an inch away from intercepting the pitch. And, he looked to pitch it forward too.

Advertisement
56 yards rushing in the second half. We can complain about Diaz all we want but I've never seen a DC adjust so well.

I am a believer that you always punish the qb. Hit him after the pitch!!

Advertisement
Problem was they knew our weakness which was whatever side Malek and Knowles were. They played that to a tee regardless of strength of field. Our Dline kept us in this game. Sad to watch them make tackles on the perimeter that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn’t get any turnovers and we didn’t punish the QB.
However we held him to a season low in yards. That was huge and why their offense outside of the few Big runs they had in the 1st half never really got going. Whatever the game plan was to shut down that QB worked amazingly.

Advertisement
I thought we played it pretty well after the first. I hated seeing us lineup 3 dlinemen on 3rd and 1 3 times knowing they were just gonna sneak it

Yes back in the day you could Ted off on the QB and they would eventually get beat up and make a bad pitch. You can not tee off on the QB 3 seconds after they have pitched anymore. Similar to when DL's would tee off on QB's throwing. Now you get a step or you better lay off.

I am honestly surprised GT's QB would not take the pitch a couple of times to stop everyone's momentum to chase after the RB. Nebraska and Colorado back in the day did this effectively and got first downs because DE's were too amped to chase the Pitch man instead of staying home to their QB responsibilities.

We kept the pressure on Marshall and that’s how we were able to adjust later. We held their leading rusher to 18 yards. We weren’t letting him beat us with his legs. That was key to eventually shutting down the triple option

Advertisement
Is how we defended GTs run option. It seemed the guy assigned to the qb would be in position to force the pitch but would let up instead of hitting the qb. I thought by not doing this you are not disrupting the timing of the play and increasing your chances of a turnover.

While technically it was assignment football I just felt that extra point of punishing the qb while also forcing the play wide would have created more opportunities for a botched play on their side. I saw this on more than one occasion. The guy would let up and just pursue the ball carrier but he was already out of the play by then anyways.

Go back and watch the game OP. If our LB crushes the QB then they gash us a lot more on the edges with the pitch. Many times Our backer who made the QB pitch the ball turned, sprinted to the sidelines, and was in on the tackle.

56 yards rushing in the second half. We can complain about Diaz all we want but I've never seen a DC adjust so well.
Honestly, what I saw in the first half, it was just as much on the players, maybe more.

A few of those tosses really caught us, which makes sense given what we were trying to do. However there were a ton of times we were in position, with enough numbers but we blew the play.

GT has always been very tough to slow down when they don't turn the ball over or commit penalties.

This team seems to consistently play it safe in the first half, biding their time and watching carefully what the opponent does. They've looked like a totally different team in every game this season. Great second half adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back