One thing that bothered me

56 yards rushing in the second half. We can complain about Diaz all we want but I've never seen a DC adjust so well.

let's not forget how much the rain changed things

Not counting the GT drive before the half (where they did kneel it), we did stop them on the previous 2 drives before the half. Perhaps things were getting better.

Also, look at how our D has been doing in ACC play.

Advertisement
Holding their QB to under 20 yds rushing wash huge. I think rain affected Johnson's playcalling more than anything. He didn't have confidence his team wouldn't turn it over so he got conservative. I love how the announcers kept reiterating that Johnson said they gave away the game last year. I wonder what his excuses will be this time.

Is how we defended GTs run option. It seemed the guy assigned to the qb would be in position to force the pitch but would let up instead of hitting the qb. I thought by not doing this you are not disrupting the timing of the play and increasing your chances of a turnover.

While technically it was assignment football I just felt that extra point of punishing the qb while also forcing the play wide would have created more opportunities for a botched play on their side. I saw this on more than one occasion. The guy would let up and just pursue the ball carrier but he was already out of the play by then anyways.

Go back and watch the game OP. If our LB crushes the QB then they gash us a lot more on the edges with the pitch. Many times Our backer who made the QB pitch the ball turned, sprinted to the sidelines, and was in on the tackle.

I would have to re-watch then. It just seemed to me that if the tackle was made and the guy assigned qb was in on it it may have been already downfield after a decent gain. I would at that point question the guys containing the perimeter. But certainly can't argue with results. Still would have liked a turnover or two when we desperately needed one.

Is how we defended GTs run option. It seemed the guy assigned to the qb would be in position to force the pitch but would let up instead of hitting the qb. I thought by not doing this you are not disrupting the timing of the play and increasing your chances of a turnover.

While technically it was assignment football I just felt that extra point of punishing the qb while also forcing the play wide would have created more opportunities for a botched play on their side. I saw this on more than one occasion. The guy would let up and just pursue the ball carrier but he was already out of the play by then anyways.

Go back and watch the game OP. If our LB crushes the QB then they gash us a lot more on the edges with the pitch. Many times Our backer who made the QB pitch the ball turned, sprinted to the sidelines, and was in on the tackle.

I would have to re-watch then. It just seemed to me that if the tackle was made and the guy assigned qb was in on it it may have been already downfield after a decent gain. I would at that point question the guys containing the perimeter. But certainly can't argue with results. Still would have liked a turnover or two when we desperately needed one.

GT played a very clean game yesterday and you have to give them credit. The guy assigned to the "pitch" a lot of times was the CB (Jackson and Young). We didn't have a safety on the field yesterday fast enough to run the alley to play the pitch like Crawford and Jenkins. We'd rotate Knowles over deep and send the CB to the pitch. GT would block that person with their B back and crack on the safety with their WR. We defended the pitch portion of the triple option a lot better when MJ28 started really getting physical on the edge. Credit that kid yesterday, he played very tough and still had enough in the tank to play all the way to the ground and get the ball out on that big 3rd down play. However MJ28 would turn the play back inside and more than a few times McCloud, Perry, Smith, would make the tackle along with Jackson for a 3-4 yard gain.

Teams like GT you can't waste taking a guy out of the play by leveling the QB. You need every available man to rally to the ball and live to fight another down.

Advertisement
The stats Bare witness to how well we played on the whole. That stupid *** onside kick made this game something it didn't need to be

Our alignment on 4th and inches was bothersome. Just conceding the QB sneak (first down). Considering having so many guys out, Diaz had the whole D ready. Impressive.

56 yards rushing in the second half. We can complain about Diaz all we want but I've never seen a DC adjust so well.

let's not forget how much the rain changed things

Didn't change anything, after the half, and really most of the 2nd quarter, they were shut down. Their offense scored 3 points in almost 3 quarters, the rain was a non factor, didn't slow us down.

We just held GT to like their lowest offensive output ever (ok, probably not, but no one holds them to 226 rushing yards and 281 total yards).

2016: 267 rushing, 361 total
2015: 314 rushing, 373 total
2014: 318 rushing, 371 total
2013: 335 rushing, 401 total
2012: 287 rushing, 419 total

Just one of the many reasons why you're one of my favorite posters.

Advertisement
We just held GT to like their lowest offensive output ever (ok, probably not, but no one holds them to 226 rushing yards and 281 total yards).

We held em' to less than 100 yards rushing (95 yards) in 09', and 228 total yards.

But we actually held em' to 211 total yards under D'Onofrio.

GT played a very clean game yesterday and you have to give them credit. The guy assigned to the "pitch" a lot of times was the CB (Jackson and Young). We didn't have a safety on the field yesterday fast enough to run the alley to play the pitch like Crawford and Jenkins. We'd rotate Knowles over deep and send the CB to the pitch. GT would block that person with their B back and crack on the safety with their WR. We defended the pitch portion of the triple option a lot better when MJ28 started really getting physical on the edge. Credit that kid yesterday, he played very tough and still had enough in the tank to play all the way to the ground and get the ball out on that big 3rd down play. However MJ28 would turn the play back inside and more than a few times McCloud, Perry, Smith, would make the tackle along with Jackson for a 3-4 yard gain.

Teams like GT you can't waste taking a guy out of the play by leveling the QB. You need every available man to rally to the ball and live to fight another down.

Appreciate the insight in your response. Thanks.

Advertisement
One of the main things that I still remember is Michael Jackson diving with his head at the Qb on a huge 3rd down in the 4th quarter. Other than that i loved his play all night. I couldn't believe that when i saw it.

This is super nitpicky but...

There were still too many 3rd and 7 or less situations where our safeties were 15+yds off the ball.

Diaz stated pretty plainly in the post game that it took two series for them to figure out the wrinkle GT added just for us but once they realigned and coached the guys up, the riddle was solved. They got 3 points after that besides The Gift.

Advertisement

You don't need a "Super Safety" to run the alley against those slow developing plays.

Problem yesterday was alignment, we never adjusted to their Unbalanced/Tackle Over alignment. Norton should've been lined up over the R or LG against that formation, and the rest of the D should've aligned off of Him.

And we actually wasted a defender (Knowles) on an ineligible receiver...what looked like the slot was covered up by a Split End, hence what looked like the slot was ineligible. Yeah we won but that shouldn't happen at this level.

Last edited:

I'm happy you brought that up, I swear I remember at one point in the game, I yelled at my TV and said "HIT THE F'IN QB"... Yeah I that was great observation, because it just felt as IF the QB was getting hit when he pitched the ball, it could changed his play.. BUT for some reason our players was in perfect position BUT just wasn't hitting him on the pitch!!

2016: 267 rushing, 361 total
2015: 314 rushing, 373 total
2014: 318 rushing, 371 total
2013: 335 rushing, 401 total
2012: 287 rushing, 419 total

True. I guess my point is how many times was the pitchman caught from behind by the guy assigned the qb? You are out of the play by then. I just felt you are better off disrupting the play instead of just forcing the pitch.
It would have been nice to have gotten a turnover and momentum change during long methodical drives by GT.

Why couldn't the DE instead of shooting inside, take the pitch man and have the DB fill his gap? Would that work?

Advertisement
Back