One thing that bothered me

Advertisement
It looked more like to me, what you probably saw was the guy who was supposed to be covering the pitch man would instead go after the qb. then when the qb pitched it, the pitch man was breaking solid runs. It looks like they corrected some in the second half.

GT played a very clean game yesterday and you have to give them credit. The guy assigned to the "pitch" a lot of times was the CB (Jackson and Young). We didn't have a safety on the field yesterday fast enough to run the alley to play the pitch like Crawford and Jenkins. We'd rotate Knowles over deep and send the CB to the pitch. GT would block that person with their B back and crack on the safety with their WR. We defended the pitch portion of the triple option a lot better when MJ28 started really getting physical on the edge. Credit that kid yesterday, he played very tough and still had enough in the tank to play all the way to the ground and get the ball out on that big 3rd down play. However MJ28 would turn the play back inside and more than a few times McCloud, Perry, Smith, would make the tackle along with Jackson for a 3-4 yard gain.

Teams like GT you can't waste taking a guy out of the play by leveling the QB. You need every available man to rally to the ball and live to fight another down.

You don't need a "Super Safety" to run the alley against those slow developing plays.

Problem yesterday was alignment, we never adjusted to their Unbalanced/Tackle Over alignment. Norton should've been lined up over the R or LG against that formation, and the rest of the D should've aligned off of Him.

And we actually wasted a defender (Knowles) on an ineligible receiver...what looked like the slot was covered up by a Split End, hence what looked like the slot was ineligible. Yeah we won but that shouldn't happen at this level.

No you don't need a "super safety" per se, but how about one with some good short area explosion, which i think you and i can agree is lacking in our current safeties. The triple option, how you see it from GT, is anything but slow. Matter of fact one can argue that it is very fast moving because by the time your mind actually know's what it is seeing that thing is already on you. Point being we were in probably the only defense that gave us a chance. Have knowles cover the deep 1/2 since he is already deep and can't run the alley.

I'm unsure of the alignment youre referring too. Do you have a screenshot or something to reference? I'm not the most technically savvy person and i don't want to watch the game, yet again, for a couple of plays. However i am interested in seeing what you were talking about.

You have to appreciate the coaching adjustments on both sides. GT came out in there normal offense and after the first series where Miami stuffed them he immediately switched, then Diaz got the hang of what he was calling and switched things up.
Richt also did a masterful job of calling against what they were giving us on the final drive, Roof finally adjusted, but it was too late. Had it not been for the questionable call it would have been a picture perfect drive to win the game.

GT played a very clean game yesterday and you have to give them credit. The guy assigned to the "pitch" a lot of times was the CB (Jackson and Young). We didn't have a safety on the field yesterday fast enough to run the alley to play the pitch like Crawford and Jenkins. We'd rotate Knowles over deep and send the CB to the pitch. GT would block that person with their B back and crack on the safety with their WR. We defended the pitch portion of the triple option a lot better when MJ28 started really getting physical on the edge. Credit that kid yesterday, he played very tough and still had enough in the tank to play all the way to the ground and get the ball out on that big 3rd down play. However MJ28 would turn the play back inside and more than a few times McCloud, Perry, Smith, would make the tackle along with Jackson for a 3-4 yard gain.

Teams like GT you can't waste taking a guy out of the play by leveling the QB. You need every available man to rally to the ball and live to fight another down.

You don't need a "Super Safety" to run the alley against those slow developing plays.

Problem yesterday was alignment, we never adjusted to their Unbalanced/Tackle Over alignment. Norton should've been lined up over the R or LG against that formation, and the rest of the D should've aligned off of Him.

And we actually wasted a defender (Knowles) on an ineligible receiver...what looked like the slot was covered up by a Split End, hence what looked like the slot was ineligible. Yeah we won but that shouldn't happen at this level.

No you don't need a "super safety" per se, but how about one with some good short area explosion, which i think you and i can agree is lacking in our current safeties. The triple option, how you see it from GT, is anything but slow. Matter of fact one can argue that it is very fast moving because by the time your mind actually know's what it is seeing that thing is already on you. Point being we were in probably the only defense that gave us a chance. Have knowles cover the deep 1/2 since he is already deep and can't run the alley.

I'm unsure of the alignment youre referring too. Do you have a screenshot or something to reference? I'm not the most technically savvy person and i don't want to watch the game, yet again, for a couple of plays. However i am interested in seeing what you were talking about.

I don't know how to screenshot either, but if you can, go to :54 of this video. Look at the 2 receivers at the bottom of the screen, the inside receiver's ineligible because He's on the line, and covered up by the outside receiver who's also on the line.

Also, look at the Safety lined up over the ineligible, He backed up on the snap like the inside receiver was eligible...IE wasting a defender on an ineligible receiver.

Against that formation, the Safety should've been closer to the LOS, and played the ineligible like a blocker, and replaced the next guy inside in the event of a crack-back. Really the entire defense should've shifted one man over to the unbalanced side.

[video=youtube;RdE2x3qQtcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdE2x3qQtcU[/video]

Advertisement

Jobe will start at FS as a true frosh...we need his speed and athleticism on the 3rd level like yesterday

What bothered me was Knowles giving up another td pass and a deep pass for a big gain to a team that doesn't throw effectively

couple years ago, rules change...cant hit the QB after he pitches I believe..

don't know... but I assume it would be a similar thing to still being able to hit the qb after a throw as long as it is not considered a late hit. You can still hit a throwing qb after he releases the ball.

Advertisement
I am a believer that you always punish the qb. Hit him after the pitch!!

I agree with this. Get the qb hesitating for a split second before pitching and bracing for a hit is enough to throw off the timing of the play.

Every game against GTech bothers me. It kills me to watch these games. The triple option and GTech will be the reason that i die 10 years earlier than I should. I cant imagine being a Notre Dame fan and having to play GTech and Navy in that same year I would kill myself.

This team seems to consistently play it safe in the first half, biding their time and watching carefully what the opponent does. They've looked like a totally different team in every game this season. Great second half adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Can I just ask what is so conservative about 50/50 jump balls in the end zone? Because we threw about three of those in the first half that we just didn't come down with. It seams like there are so many people willing to just repeat popular sentiment without taking a second to understand it.

You can disagree with the play call. You can question the personnel package. You can even question whether Malik made a good throw.

But you can't call 50/50 jump balls to the end zone conservative. Conservative is lining up in jumbo three times and running dives between the hashes to set up a field goal.

Advertisement
I don't see why people are trying to devalue yet another win. The rain's impact on GT was negligible, unless I missed some prolific passing offense they've been quietly using. We were the ones behind who had to throw the ball. If anyone was impacted it was us.

I don't see why people are trying to devalue yet another win. The rain's impact on GT was negligible, unless I missed some prolific passing offense they've been quietly using. We were the ones behind who had to throw the ball. If anyone was impacted it was us.

I agree with you. It rained on both teams. But I feel like I should point out that running the option, especially with all the different mesh points and pitches GaTech employs, becomes very dangerous with a wet football. They almost completely abandoned that toss that was ripping us once it started raining.

I agree with you. It rained on both teams. But I feel like I should point out that running the option, especially with all the different mesh points and pitches GaTech employs, becomes very dangerous with a wet football. They almost completely abandoned that toss that was ripping us once it started raining.

I don't disagree, I just don't think the rain was much of a factor. I think the reason they abandoned the pitch was that we adjusted to it. They had something on us early, but we shut down 2 or 3 different iterations of those pitches--rain or shine.

Advertisement
Did anyone notice how slow Herndon looked when blocking KR. He was so slow to get over every time and could never block anyone.

This team seems to consistently play it safe in the first half, biding their time and watching carefully what the opponent does. They've looked like a totally different team in every game this season. Great second half adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Can I just ask what is so conservative about 50/50 jump balls in the end zone? Because we threw about three of those in the first half that we just didn't come down with. It seams like there are so many people willing to just repeat popular sentiment without taking a second to understand it.

You can disagree with the play call. You can question the personnel package. You can even question whether Malik made a good throw.

But you can't call 50/50 jump balls to the end zone conservative. Conservative is lining up in jumbo three times and running dives between the hashes to set up a field goal.

I agree. I think there is fair criticism that we are lacking some imagination and not putting a lot of pressure on the opposing secondaries, at least not enough, IMO, but we aren't playing it safe either. Richt isn't afraid to go downfield or into the end zone.

Advertisement
Back