Josh Witt
Rashawn Scott
Thurston Armbrister
Corey King
Junior Alexis
Eddie Johnson
Danny Dillard
Ricquan Southward

They are clearly (read that in Coach Golden-in-a-press-conference voice) not afraid to take kids that not many other programs (or, in some of those cases, not many big time programs) deem worthy of an offer. They are going all-in on their own evaluations. As a fan, that's a little scary, even though they did find some diamonds at Temple. I will say at least most of these guys seem to have some nice qualities on film (some more than others... some I just don't see it at all)

Advertisement
For guys like Holifield (who never played), Scott (who played small time HS ball), or Armbrister (who was injured), these guys may not have received a fair evaluation from many programs.

But for guys like Crow and Alexis, they played at visible programs and were seen by everybody and most everybody passed (same for Earl Moore).

I don't think its fair to put Southward on that list, he's got some pretty good attention from legit programs, even if it didn't pick up until he was a senior.

Gray Crow
Brandon Holifield
Josh Witt
Rashawn Scott
Thurston Armbrister
Corey King
Junior Alexis
Eddie Johnson
Danny Dillard
Ricquan Southward

They are clearly (read that in Coach Golden-in-a-press-conference voice) not afraid to take kids that not many other programs (or, in some of those cases, not many big time programs) deem worthy of an offer. They are going all-in on their own evaluations. As a fan, that's a little scary, even though they did find some diamonds at Temple. I will say at least most of these guys seem to have some nice qualities on film (some more than others... some I just don't see it at all)

Good point, ger.

One thing I will say is that they have been pretty consistent at pursuing guys with a certain level of size/speed. Well, everywhere but DT.

I don't think its fair to put Southward on that list, he's got some pretty good attention from legit programs, even if it didn't pick up until he was a senior.

That's a valid point. I won't go edit it so that people won't be confused as to what you're talking about, but after reading your post I would agree.

Advertisement
I think they were trying to get as many bodies at DT as possible. Alexis is the only guy that really has me scratching my head.

So is it ok to take so many diamonds in the ruff? This was a huge problem in the past IIRC.

Its circumstance dependant. When its 2 weeks until signing day and you all of the sudden take a player with no offers, that's a problem. That's a desperation move.

When you take a kid with a light offer sheet in November, there was no external pressure of a ticking clock, so the move was probably better thought out.

No the huge problem in the past was taking kids that weren't good football players.

This.

But I will say, we gotta pick it up at DT in a real friggin' hurry. Not liking the vibe there at all, nor was I impressed with the kids we took late.

Advertisement
Its circumstance dependant. When its 2 weeks until signing day and you all of the sudden take a player with no offers, that's a problem. That's a desperation move.

When you take a kid with a light offer sheet in November, there was no external pressure of a ticking clock, so the move was probably better thought out.

Guess I'm not seeing the differnce between taking a player with no or few offers in Nov. or taking the same guy in Feb. at the last minute.

Advertisement
It's starting to look like they pick up players with something specific to their system in mind.

I'll say it bluntly: the two guys we picked up today could very well be successful in the coaches' system, but there are a number of questions about them as prospects.

Advertisement
No one knows if these guys are good players. People complained big time under the same cicumstances in the past.

I'm talking about guys that produce at the HS level. We were talking guys like Davonta Davis because of his "size" and passing on great HS corners like Ricardo Allen. Mike said there weren't many teams that looked better coming off the bus, unfortunately a lot of those guys weren't good football players.

I'm beginning to think you are trolling.

Like I posted in another thread, Golden seems confident
in his ability to eval, and in his staffs ability to coach kids
up.

Hopefully he is like Butch in this aspect. It's too early to know
if he is or isn't, and, IMO, too early to second guess his decisions.

Advertisement
Back