One thing about this staff....

I'm fine with coaches having ideal frames to fit what they're wanting to do as long as they aren't super rigid and stay open to legit playmaker types as exceptions.... maybe Perryman's even serving as a good lesson to them. That kid though.... don't like even considering that they hesitated on him. That kid was made to play the game in orange and green. My favorite since Webster.

Advertisement
My personal view is that the staff is trying to build a "core" of system players.... solid contributors they can coach up and fit the needs and what they want to do.... "coachable" kids with a good work ethic/ measurables combination for potential. Then hope to pepper the class/classes with high rated local talent from SoFla at skill positions.

I guess we really wont know how it all plays out for a couple of years... but it has been working for programs like Boise State... and has worked traditionally well for programs like VT... who have relied on a few "standouts" to make them elite, but they forged their consistency on a "core" of solid contributors and players that fit their system.

I think there is a method to the madness.... Golden is a smart and organized guy. What worries me is what we DONT know.... such as the possibility some of this may just be what we are being forced to settle for as kids may be shying away from us both for our mediocrity in the last several years... and the looming NCAA mess over Shapiro.

My personal view is that the staff is trying to build a "core" of system players.... solid contributors they can coach up and fit the needs and what they want to do.... "coachable" kids with a good work ethic/ measurables combination for potential. Then hope to pepper the class/classes with high rated local talent from SoFla at skill positions.

I guess we really wont know how it all plays out for a couple of years... but it has been working for programs like Boise State... and has worked traditionally well for programs like VT... who have relied on a few "standouts" to make them elite, but they forged their consistency on a "core" of solid contributors and players that fit their system.

I think there is a method to the madness.... Golden is a smart and organized guy. What worries me is what we DONT know.... such as the possibility some of this may just be what we are being forced to settle for as kids may be shying away from us both for our mediocrity in the last several years... and the looming NCAA mess over Shapiro.

Agree.

Golden has pretty much stated this. I think he's trying to get a bunch of "B+" guys to replenish the roster and establish a foundation. And then from there, land some stars. I think it's a sound strategy because we're not exactly in a position to land a slew of big fish. It's not like we're ignoring studs like Tracy Howard, Deon Bush, et al.

Assuming this class is full of "hard workers", I think it'll serve as a good primer for upcoming classes. Our defensive roster was in shambles when Golden took over. It's gonna take a few classes to get it right.

Advertisement
I feel like we're not taking advantage of the Big Class that every new coach gets at a big time program. Shannon had that '08 class and then fell off. As much as people want to bash the star system, as a whole it is on point. The schools with the most 4/5 stars are the best teams.

To me it's one of two things: Either the staff really is made up of average recruiters OR it's just becoming increasingly difficult to get the 4/5 star guys to come here. Im leaning towards the 2nd scenario.

Have you heard of Nevin Shapiro?

I feel like we're not taking advantage of the Big Class that every new coach gets at a big time program. Shannon had that '08 class and then fell off. As much as people want to bash the star system, as a whole it is on point. The schools with the most 4/5 stars are the best teams.

To me it's one of two things: Either the staff really is made up of average recruiters OR it's just becoming increasingly difficult to get the 4/5 star guys to come here. Im leaning towards the 2nd scenario.

We were on pace to have that big class until the Shapiro thing happened. It basically killed recruiting for right now, as far as the bigger time prospects go. Our class is still ranked top 10 by everyone I think. My guess is we would have finished top 5 everywhere if it weren't for the NCAA investigation.

I'm not a fan of taking a lot of guys like this, but at this point I think it's fair to let Golden and his staff run it how they want. If this is what they want to go all-in on, so be it. I really, really hope it works out.

I am a big Josh Witt fan though.

There are a few question marks right now on guys who we've taken(Crow, D'Mauri, and Holifield) but I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out. Hopefully Golden will prove these kids were worth the risk.

Advertisement
Guess I'm not seeing the differnce between taking a player with no or few offers in Nov. or taking the same guy in Feb. at the last minute.

really? taking a guy when you have had time to evaluate and determine whether you want to make them an offer.. and taking a guy when you are under the gun to take someone.. is not really the same.

They come to camp, they perform, then they get offers.

This staff put players from TEMPLE into the first round of the NFL draft.

Im all for getting the kid that EVERYBODY knows is the goods, but **** we got a whole 08 class full of them and look what hapened.

Size should also be a factor with today's game. And if you notice, all the kids above are bigger than what we have here now. Graw Crow is bigger than most of our linebackers right now.

Miami will always get the Florida speed. But we need some bog boys at LBer and DL badly.

This is why we are not "tough". We cant be when we are undersized.

Also, notice how guys like Holifield and Southward are now gaining recognition in the recruiting process. ****, Southward just got an offer from Mississippi State and Ohio State just one day after commiting to us and Holifield could go anywhere in the state if he wanted.

We need guys like Clive Walford and Allen Hurns, ballers that went unnoticed for one reason or another. This staff gets paid millions to find these guys. These recruiting services are mostly run by guys who never played a down of football. Would you rather trust their judgement over guys like Golden, Coach D, and Coach Mcdonald who actually played big time ball?

Advertisement
really? taking a guy when you have had time to evaluate and determine whether you want to make them an offer.. and taking a guy when you are under the gun to take someone.. is not really the same.

How do you know that guy wasn't evaluated? The assumption that taking someone late means they weren't evaulated is silly. If anything it gives you more time to evaluate and wait for guys you have higher on your board.

Im more about guys coming in and performing drills at camps to gain offers. This way, you can clearly determine where they stand instead of watching some of them beat up on poor competition or just out athlete-ing people.

Bring them in, have them go thru a few snaps, do some drills, interview them, determine their football IQ, etc.....

No more stars. Stars should only matter if the kid actually PROVES he is the goods at your camp or in big time games vs big time comp. Rememeber, EVERYBODY is good in highschool

Guys like Walford, Hurns, Feliciano, Darius Smith, etc......prove that evals are important.

Not sure I buy into the whole we need to be bigger theory. LSU's undersized D seemed to do alright Sat.

They come to camp, they perform, then they get offers.

This staff put players from TEMPLE into the first round of the NFL draft.

Im all for getting the kid that EVERYBODY knows is the goods, but **** we got a whole 08 class full of them and look what hapened.

Size should also be a factor with today's game. And if you notice, all the kids above are bigger than what we have here now. Graw Crow is bigger than most of our linebackers right now.

Miami will always get the Florida speed. But we need some bog boys at LBer and DL badly.

This is why we are not "tough". We cant be when we are undersized.

Also, notice how guys like Holifield and Southward are now gaining recognition in the recruiting process. ****, Southward just got an offer from Mississippi State and Ohio State just one day after commiting to us and Holifield could go anywhere in the state if he wanted.

We need guys like Clive Walford and Allen Hurns, ballers that went unnoticed for one reason or another. This staff gets paid millions to find these guys. These recruiting services are mostly run by guys who never played a down of football. Would you rather trust their judgement over guys like Golden, Coach D, and Coach Mcdonald who actually played big time ball?

Advertisement
Undersized D? Undersized compared to Bama's? Yes

LSU's DBs are as big as our LB's man. Dont even kid yourself.

There's only ONE little guy on that D, and he's just a ******* baller.

Last edited:
Im more about guys coming in and performing drills at camps to gain offers. This way, you can clearly determine where they stand instead of watching some of them beat up on poor competition or just out athlete-ing people.

Bring them in, have them go thru a few snaps, do some drills, interview them, determine their football IQ, etc.....

No more stars. Stars should only matter if the kid actually PROVES he is the goods at your camp or in big time games vs big time comp. Rememeber, EVERYBODY is good in highschool

Guys like Walford, Hurns, Feliciano, Darius Smith, etc......prove that evals are important.

No way this is ringz! He isn't typing like this!

How do you know that guy wasn't evaluated? The assumption that taking someone late means they weren't evaulated is silly. If anything it gives you more time to evaluate and wait for guys you have higher on your board.

i'm sure they were evaluated, but when you have two weeks til signing day it you couldn't have put the same amount of thought into that evaluation.

the fact that these guys are getting offers based on performance in camp.. is a good thing.

Advertisement
Back