One reason our players make bad NFL decisions

Advertisement
It's never a good thing. Clemson's entire d-line is stocked with guys that respectively at worst would've been 2nd round picks had they declared early. Every single one of them came back. Meanwhile, Norton had some sleazy salesman pitch him on leaving early and RJ followed because he was worried about double teams. I think RJ in the long run will be fine and could last in the NFL. But Norton is the real loser in all of this.

Which is the point I was trying to make maybe now guys will really pay attention and take the good advice that’s offered to them as opposed to the BS that they’re sold From people who have their own best interest in mind.

It’s all about the culture we had here. Guys like Olsen, Campbell, Linder, Hurns were team first guys.

Ver
I wouldn't be shocked if Pinckney left with Shaq, if he & Shaq continue to play at a high level both of them will be picked between rounds 1-3 (Shaq is a mid-late 1st/2nd round player with another year of production & Pinck is a 2nd/3rd imo).

The one who better stick is McCloud, if he decides to follow his boys & declare early he'll be making a huge mistake. People within the program need to get in his ear right now & start getting him to understand that leaving early would be his worse decision. I know as fans we're all hard on him, but our Defense can use him as a Senior & he still has value to this team.

Also hope Pat Bethel pays close attention to RJ & Kendrick, he shouldn't listen to anybody that says he should come out after his Junior year. Don't think he will, but in case some agent does, we need somebody in the program to smack the sh*t out of whoever tries to talk Bethel into declaring lol.

This is the one of the may reasons Dmoney is a alluding to.

We have folks like LCL putting it out to the public that Shaq and Pink 1/2 round picks. Based off 2 years of production, they are no where near the 1st round... statistically or athletically.

As of right now the only guy with a great shot to high is probably AR. and hes coming off an injury riddled sophmore slump.

I think based off Richts recruiting we will have more team oriented guys. Guys that want to stay and win. The last 2 staffs recruited really dumb players who didnt give a **** about UM.

Advertisement
Which is the point I was trying to make maybe now guys will really pay attention and take the good advice that’s offered to them as opposed to the BS that they’re sold From people who have their own best interest in mind.

We'll see. We thought the same would happen with the class that left early (Golden's first year) with guys like Olivier Vernon, Tommy Streeter, Brandon Washington, etc. But we see it continue to happen. Maybe this is another reminder.

These kids listen to their handlers too much and start believing their own hype.

I'd say I feel bad for them but they have been attending one of the best universities in the nation for several years now and still can't figure out the basics.

Fkn morans.
For the record we have to stop calling these guys kids. They are grown men. They are making financial decisions for themselves and their families just like many of us on this board. It’s no different than going into business for yourself. Some will make it and some won’t. Cane Dynasty I understand that what you are trying say, however sometimes we don’t know the players situation. Don’t feel bad for them because it happens everyday in the real world. It’s life lessons.

lol why is this troll not banned yet? He reminds me of FullyEricht aka WilforkHOF. Are you him?

He right though. If we were recruiting 4/5 stars after 4/5 stars after 4/5 stars at DT like we do at RB then sure we would still want Norton/McIntosh to stay to provide a veteran presence but we would be excited about the future guys replacing them but instead we got low ceiling guys like Tyric Martin replacing them. Hence why you don't see any "Mark Walton made a mistake entering the draft" type threads why? because we have Homer, Dallas, Lingard, Davis, Burns to replace him.

It's never a good thing. Clemson's entire d-line is stocked with guys that respectively at worst would've been 2nd round picks had they declared early.

That's just the thing tho. Knowing you're stocked high already relieves pressure. We see kids getting drafted in the 3rd that underperformed this past season. They have the previous year's tape that showed 1st round-level to fall back on.

Kids like Norton and McIntosh do not. If they underperform, that's just that. There's obvious possible reward in them coming back,.... but....there's more risk than Clemson's DLinemen as well.

McIntosh couldve went in the 7th next year for all we know. Yet if he is a Pro Bowler in year 2,...we will of course act like we knew he would be all along. So round and round we go....

Advertisement
He right though. If we were recruiting 4/5 stars after 4/5 stars after 4/5 stars at DT like we do at RB then sure we would still want Norton/McIntosh to stay to provide a veteran presence but we would be excited about the future guys replacing them but instead we got low ceiling guys like Tyric Martin replacing them. Hence why you don't see any "Mark Walton made a mistake entering the draft" type threads why? because we have Homer, Dallas, Lingard, Davis, Burns to replace him.
He isn't right. Nobody is saying much about walton because he is a rb. The problem with mcintosh and norton is everybody except them knew this would happen. You don't see bama players leaving early to be 5th and 6th round draft picks.

That's just the thing tho. Knowing you're stocked high already relieves pressure. We see kids getting drafted in the 3rd that underperformed this past season. They have the previous year's tape that showed 1st round-level to fall back on.

Kids like Norton and McIntosh do not. If they underperform, that's just that. There's obvious possible reward in them coming back,.... but....there's more risk than Clemson's DLinemen as well.

McIntosh couldve went in the 7th next year for all we know. Yet if he is a Pro Bowler in year 2,...we will of course act like we knew he would be all along. So round and round we go....

Ummmmmmm.....no. If a guy like Christian Wilkins who would've likely gone in the 1st round this year tears an ACL, I'm willing to bet that he's not going in the 1st round next year. Also, if you have a significant lack of production compared to your junior year, that's also another black mark.

In no way is there more risk for RJ and Norton to have come back then Clemson's defensive linemen.

This relates to QBs - but Matt Barkley (USC QB) was slated to be a 1st round pick. Ee had an abysmal year and ended up a 4th round pick.

He isn't right. Nobody is saying much about walton because he is a rb. The problem with mcintosh and norton is everybody except them knew this would happen. You don't see bama players leaving early to be 5th and 6th round draft picks.

Well, not everyone knows this. Because we still have people actually defending their decision.

Advertisement

Exactly right with Walton.

This narrative of "You guys only criticize players for leaving early because you only care about your college team and/or its depth" is a joke.

I personally (and most Canes fans I know) wouldn't have even tried to make a case that it would've behooved Walton to stay even if our only projected depth at RB next year was Brian Burns in a full body cast.

It's soooo much more often the people that are arguing in favor of the kid leaving early EVERY time that are the one's with ulterior motives or ideologies at play.

No one is complaining because the RB stable is loaded. If AR82 leaves, with the way Dugans has been recruiting WR, people won't complain about him declaring either.

Alabama is typically loaded and gets production out of everyone by their 3rd year.

Advertisement
I get what you're saying but it's an EXTREMELY optimistic view for these kids to take- especially when they've apparently just overrated their current draft stock. Here's the last graphic I found relating to salary differentials between draft rounds:

View attachment 59674

I hate posting on internet message boards, but given how poor the analysis is on this thread, I couldn't help myself...

The previously posted chart shows that there's virtually no difference between the compensation of a 3rd rounder and of a 7th rounder (and do a quick google search for UFA salaries- you'll see that they're the same as a 7th rounder's). But you have 1 more year of income if you leave early, so really you're only better off staying if you're drafted in the top ~50 of the following year. Per the chart, that's the point at which you make more than a draftee in Rounds 3-7/UFA + one full year of earnings. How many guys can actually work themselves into the top 50? Well, not many - less than 50 in the entire country...

So as long as you make a roster, and assuming you develop at the same rate as which you would in college, the vast majority of guys are better off going pro as soon as possible. The first contract has incremental value for only a very small % of players

[And of course I've left off the value of a college degree, yada yada...but many of these guys don't complete their degrees anyways, and they can always come back to finish their credits at a later date. It's certainly valuable, but probably not a needle mover for most guys with realistic shots at an NFL future]

Last edited:
It’s all about the culture we had here. Guys like Olsen, Campbell, Linder, Hurns were team first guys.

Ver

This is the one of the may reasons Dmoney is a alluding to.

We have folks like LCL putting it out to the public that Shaq and Pink 1/2 round picks. Based off 2 years of production, they are no where near the 1st round... statistically or athletically.

As of right now the only guy with a great shot to high is probably AR. and hes coming off an injury riddled sophmore slump.

I think based off Richts recruiting we will have more team oriented guys. Guys that want to stay and win. The last 2 staffs recruited really dumb players who didnt give a **** about UM.
First of all foh with that nonsense. Shaq was invited to the combine with JJack & Ahmmon as a guy who is a potential early round pick, just ask Poppa Shaq.

All I was doing was stating my opinion of them as players, I wasn’t saying they should leave, I said I wouldn’t be shocked if they did.

I know your m/o on this board is to always be super negative about everything, but if you’re trying to include me amongst the people that give players bad advice you’re 100% wrong. I even said yesterday RJ shoulda came back his Senior year.

You can disagree with an opinion, but trying to make me out to be someone putting out bad advice to the players is way outta line bruh, you don’t know me & I would never do something like that to my school, miss me wit that bullsh*t.

Advertisement
Back