On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
Yes, it is easier to land a Portal QB than a top-ranked QB. There is plenty of supply and they have film to evaluate.
Will Smith Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Good for Judd (and us), that is a heck of a step on the stat line. Granted I have no context e.g. talent and scheme, but that is nice to see none the less.
Transferred in to a good program playing at the highest level of competition. Took them into the playoffs....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Then look at the other side of the equation: all of those players quickly became available to everyone else, with more film available.
How's this relate to the Judd thread though? Are you saying its better to bring in someone like him and fight for transfers later? Or..

Advertisement
Exhibit A why it's dangerous to pay big money to a high school QB:

@DMoney can't these NIL deals come with conditions? I doubt these kids for the '24 class have been paid much of their NIL already right? I know they're not "pay for play" but they have to have some conditions as well to prevent this kind of stuff from happening so much.

Advertisement
Say Judd doesn't hit.. what is the loss? One scholarship used for a scout team QB. And you go shopping for a portal kid so you can try to hit again.

If he does hit, you get him cheap on a rookie deal and get first mover advantage on when and how to pay him.

This is a much more sustainable strategy long term than going for 5* HS kids every year at QB, or even on a kid transferring after one year.

There are no-brainers, but they are the outliers and not the majority.

Not every position is as volatile out of high school as QB, and not every position has as many strong options in the Portal.

Spend money on HS linemen, WRs and CBs, and Portal QBs.
I see what you're saying, but.. Assuming you can just take a QB out of the portal is incredibly risky though. It turns it into a necessity. That's exactly how you end up overpaying. Plus, there's no guarantee a portal QB will be available. Even with back channeling. Miss on a high school guy, you can fall back on the portal. Miss on your portal guy.. then what?

Not every position is as volatile out of high school as QB, and not every position has as many strong options in the Portal.

Spend money on HS linemen, WRs and CBs, and Portal QBs.
This is spot on. The failure rate of high school qb's at the college level is the highest of any position. It makes no sense to invest a large portion of your NIL budget on an unproven high risk commodity. Go get a proven entity out of the portal and get a qb that you believe will develop out of High School and if he works out pay him if not he leaves or provides depth, nothing else makes sense. Too many of these kids wash out and you're left shorthanded financially for additional players at positions of need.

Advertisement
Back