On Judd Anderson

View as article
Oh man Jalen Milroe plays for the #8 team in the nation, he's so good! funny that argument didn't work for Anthony Brown when Oregon was ranked #7 in the nation this very same weekend back in 2021 lol. You gotta admit that is a little funny... Why this is extra funny though is that is the ONLY starting QB you can really use as evidence for Mario since his other 2 starting QBs were already entrenched started in Herbert and TVD.

You're entire argument boils down to "Saban got Tua and Young" Who were both #1 QBs lol. You're argument is that it's okay none of those other guys ever produced cause he hit on those 2 (and today the result would be a lot of wasted money - when half the people on this board constantly ***** about our lack of NIL spending!). But thats my entire point lol.... We need to go all out for THE TOP GUY. Otherwise Portal is the answer for the interim. All this *****ing and moaning about stacking mid 4 stars instead of high 3/low 4stars is basically pointless imo.

Put it like this IF we got Iamaleava last year, Would it really matter that we got Emory/Judd/Nickell? Would that REALLY be so much different than Saban getting all those guys he got who never actually did anything for him? Wouldn't it actually be more similar to how Mac Jones developed lol...

Lol; Sorry, Milroe is the starting QB, recruited by Saban of the SEC Champions Bama.

Advertisement
Lol; Sorry, Milroe is the starting QB, recruited by Saban of the SEC Champions Bama.
Milroe ended the season very strong. Made a lot more big plays than Anthony Brown did.
I guess the difference that makes this such a difference is Oregon lost the Conference Championship to Utah and Bama won it against UGA...

I'll just copy and paste what I said in that comment:
We need to go all out for THE TOP GUY. Otherwise Portal is the answer for the interim. All this *****ing and moaning about stacking mid 4 stars instead of high 3/low 4stars is basically pointless imo.

Milroe ended the season very strong. Made a lot more big plays than Anthony Brown did.
I guess the difference that makes this such a difference is Oregon lost the Conference Championship to Utah and Bama won it against UGA...

I'll just copy and paste what I said in that comment:

Nah, this was context of ur entire post:

“Oh man Jalen Milroe plays for the #8 team in the nation, he's so good! funny that argument didn't work for Anthony Brown when Oregon was ranked #7 in the nation this very same weekend back in 2021 lol. You gotta admit that is a little funny... Why this is extra funny though is that is the ONLY starting QB you can really use as evidence for Mario since his other 2 starting QBs were already entrenched started in Herbert and TVD.

You're entire argument boils down to "Saban got Tua and Young" Who were both #1 QBs lol.
You're argument is that it's okay none of those other guys ever produced cause he hit on those 2 (and today the result would be a lot of wasted money - when half the people on this board constantly ***** about our lack of NIL spending!). But thats my entire point lol.... We need to go all out for THE TOP GUY. Otherwise Portal is the answer for the interim. All this *****ing and moaning about stacking mid 4 stars instead of high 3/low 4stars is basically pointless imo.”

U were trying to compare Saban’s recruitment at QB vs. Mario’s, in which anyone who watches the entirety of CFB vs. living in an orange and green glass house would know that’s an asinine statement. U’re dismissing the fact that Hurts & Milroe both did very well there, so ur point of trying to solely focus on Tua and Young is disingenuous, as well.

Last edited:
Nah, this was context of ur entire post:

“Oh man Jalen Milroe plays for the #8 team in the nation, he's so good! funny that argument didn't work for Anthony Brown when Oregon was ranked #7 in the nation this very same weekend back in 2021 lol. You gotta admit that is a little funny... Why this is extra funny though is that is the ONLY starting QB you can really use as evidence for Mario since his other 2 starting QBs were already entrenched started in Herbert and TVD.

You're entire argument boils down to "Saban got Tua and Young" Who were both #1 QBs lol.
You're argument is that it's okay none of those other guys ever produced cause he hit on those 2 (and today the result would be a lot of wasted money - when half the people on this board constantly ***** about our lack of NIL spending!). But thats my entire point lol.... We need to go all out for THE TOP GUY. Otherwise Portal is the answer for the interim. All this *****ing and moaning about stacking mid 4 stars instead of high 3/low 4stars is basically pointless imo.”

U were trying to compare Saban’s recruitment at QB vs. Mario’s, in which anyone who watches the entirety of CFB vs. living in an orange and green glass house would know that’s an asinine statement. U’re dismissing the fact that Hurts & Milroe both did very well there, so u’re point of trying to solely focus on Tua and Young is disingenuous, as well.

the ONLY starting QB you can really use as evidence for Mario since his other 2 starting QBs were already entrenched started in Herbert and TVD.
Again Milroe was better than Anthony Brown, but he's not some stud on the level of Tua or Young or something either. And Milroe was recruited in 2021, and Sabans been there for over a decade now. Literally the only real difference between when I made that comment and why you bumped it is that Bama won the conference, while Oregon lost their conference championship back in 2021, otherwise you wouldn't have a point lol. With that criterion Mario was a conference championship victory away from being 1/1 with non inherited QBs lol.

Anyways Like I said Mario has literally had like 1 non-covid year up to now at Oregon and Miami where he didn't have an inherited starter. And 2022 Jacurri was already in the class when Mario got here. Literally Marios first QB here was Emory Williams in the 2023 class. So while Bama has Milroe in year 3, Mario only has 1 guy - a true freshman - that he's brought in. TBD how that turns out. And our next QB will be who ever we bring in the portal.... If he hits on this QB in the portal, then that would be 1/2 in non-inherited QBs. Out of the 3 HS guys Mario is currently gotten, Emory seems solid - a guy that can probably be average or better here, Judd seems like he'll probably never doing anything here, and Nickel seems like a stud. But I have no problem counting portal guys as hits/misses as well. And as long as we hit on our portal Qb this year, that's all that matters really.

I also mentioned Mac Jones in that conversation - not in that particular comment - which imo is the better evidence of Saban developing a QB. At the end of the day my comment 100% was about how we should be going all in for TOP QBs. Because they are the ones that are most likely to hit. Saban hit mostly with the guys that were obvious were going to be hits. He's got a few hits sprinkled in that weren't absolute studs coming in.

Again Milroe was better than Anthony Brown, but he's not some stud on the level of Tua or Young or something either. And Milroe was recruited in 2021, and Sabans been there for over a decade now. Literally the only real difference between when I made that comment and why you bumped it is that Bama won the conference, while Oregon lost their conference championship back in 2021, otherwise you wouldn't have a point lol. With that criterion Mario was a conference championship victory away from being 1/1 with non inherited QBs lol.

Anyways Like I said Mario has literally had like 1 non-covid year up to now at Oregon and Miami where he didn't have an inherited starter. And 2022 Jacurri was already in the class when Mario got here. Literally Marios first QB here was Emory Williams in the 2023 class. So while Bama has Milroe in year 3, Mario only has 1 guy - a true freshman - that he's brought in. TBD how that turns out. And our next QB will be who ever we bring in the portal.... If he hits on this QB in the portal, then that would be 1/2 in non-inherited QBs. Out of the 3 HS guys Mario is currently gotten, Emory seems solid - a guy that can probably be average or better here, Judd seems like he'll probably never doing anything here, and Nickel seems like a stud. But I have no problem counting portal guys as hits/misses as well. And as long as we hit on our portal Qb this year, that's all that matters really.

I also mentioned Mac Jones in that conversation - not in that particular comment - which imo is the better evidence of Saban developing a QB. At the end of the day my comment 100% was about how we should be going all in for TOP QBs. Because they are the ones that are most likely to hit. Saban hit mostly with the guys that were obvious were going to be hits. He's got a few hits sprinkled in that weren't absolute studs coming in.

OK

Advertisement
I mean, yeah, I get it. But that doesn’t mean we hit on him. He couldn’t hit on the most simple of throws during the FSU game. X was wide effing open in the middle all day and he kept throwing behind him. He did throw a nice fade to JG and also got lucky on the bomb to JG. Dont think we are aggressively going after a starter in the portal if the staff felt like they hit on him.
He has heart is a great dude it seems but he ain’t it for me. If he was we wouldn’t be going crazy looking for a star qb in the portal. I know he has to heal but if that didn’t happen it wouldn’t change our approach imo

This is the same craziness D$ is peddaling. This is a terrible strategy. It is terrible roster construction and is guaranteedto fail. I remember a time when we pretended the portal wasn't sustainable now we are going the opposite way and putting all our stock in it. We have 0 history of developing QBs the last 20 years.

Not only is it lazy but what happens when we sign an elite portal QB and he turns out to be Devin Leary? What happens when we sign an elite portal QB and he gets injured? The whole theory is short sighted and ruins competition. We can't hand a job to someone new repeatedly.

In a world of infinite budget and infinite roster spots I'd agree with you. But how many of the 5 star QBs coming out of high school delivered ROI? Dante Moore hits the portal and he doesn't even make a top 10 list of QBs that Miami should target. Emory Williams played better than Jalen Rashada. Arch Manning has 2 completions this year, Iamaleava had 16 for 163 yards in mop-up duty v UConn and Vandy. Who knows if any of them will even be starting much less playing at a high level in their second year.

So what is this talent "bench" you talk about? QB is just different. With guys like LT or Mauigoa you know you're getting a baller, maybe not a Day 1/2 type but someone who will contribute early and often. Okunlola didn't see much time but everyone knows he'll be in the rotation next season. It's a crap shoot with "elite" QBs. The portal reduces the odds of a miss dramatically .

And for the record, I said we should grab 2 guys from the portal precisely because I don't think the program should depend upon one guy's health. I believe we can find a QB2 from G5 schools with proven gameday experience in the portal willing to sit behind the QB1 we find in the portal. I don't see this as lazy, I see this as the only rational thing to do given the rest of our QB room will be Williams, Anderson and maybe Bailey.

Advertisement
Saw this posted in 247 board for Judd's stats comparions YoY:

2022: TDs=15 | Int=13 | Yrds 1776 | comp %= 56

2023: TDs=29 | Int=5 | Yrds 2,815 | comp % = 70
Good for Judd (and us), that is a heck of a step on the stat line. Granted I have no context e.g. talent and scheme, but that is nice to see none the less.

This is the same craziness D$ is peddaling. This is a terrible strategy. It is terrible roster construction and is guaranteedto fail. I remember a time when we pretended the portal wasn't sustainable now we are going the opposite way and putting all our stock in it. We have 0 history of developing QBs the last 20 years.

Not only is it lazy but what happens when we sign an elite portal QB and he turns out to be Devin Leary? What happens when we sign an elite portal QB and he gets injured? The whole theory is short sighted and ruins competition. We can't hand a job to someone new repeatedly.
I quoted you because I found the bolded part interesting. We've really had a ton of inconsistent quarterbacks over the years and even the guys who played well never seemed to put it all together. So I started to think about who our QB coaches have been.

2023- Shannon Dawson
2022-Frank Ponce (Gattis OC)
2021,2020-Rhett Lashlee
2019- Enos
2018, 2017, 2016- Jon Richt
2015, 2014, 2013- James Coley
2012, 2011 Jedd Fisch
2010, 2009 Mark Whipple
2008, 2007 Pat Nix
2006-Rich Olson
2005, 2004- Dan Werner
2003- C.H.U.D

Obviously quite a few duds. But what I really noticed was how few starting quarterbacks at Miami worked with the same QB coach/OC for more than 1 year.

Jacory got 2 years of Whipple-ball.
Kaaya got 2 years of Coley
Rosier got 2 years of Richt.

That's it. We change OC/QB coaches so often, our quarterbacks often learn 3 different offenses by the time they graduate. Most of those guys got fired for good reason but ****, if we didn't hire so many bum OC/QB coaches, maybe we could have gotten some decent QB play over the years.

I quoted you because I found the bolded part interesting. We've really had a ton of inconsistent quarterbacks over the years and even the guys who played well never seemed to put it all together. So I started to think about who our QB coaches have been.

2023- Shannon Dawson
2021,2020-Rhett Lashlee
2019- Enos
2012, 2011 Jedd Fisch
2010, 2009 Mark Whipple
2008, 2007 Pat Nix
2006-Rich Olson
2005, 2004- Dan Werner
2003- C.H.U.D

Obviously quite a few duds. But what I really noticed was how few starting quarterbacks at Miami worked with the same QB coach/OC for more than 1 year.

That's it. We change OC/QB coaches so often, our quarterbacks often learn 3 different offenses by the time they graduate. Most of those guys got fired for good reason but ****, if we didn't hire so many bum OC/QB coaches, maybe we could have gotten some decent QB play over the years.

I think TVD had 2 years with Lashlee (albeit one was a RS year). But that only helps your point, since 2021 TVD was probably the best version of TVD we had.

Advertisement
I think TVD had 2 years with Lashlee (albeit one was a RS year). But that only helps your point, since 2021 TVD was probably the best version of TVD we had.
Yeah but I was talking about first team guys who get a vast majority of the practice reps. TVD played for Lashlee in 2020 but he was a distant backup to King.

Yeah but I was talking about first team guys who get a vast majority of the practice reps. TVD played for Lashlee in 2020 but he was a distant backup to King.

Sure, but if we're talking QB development, he had a year under Lashlee to learn/develop before playing meaningful snaps in 2021. Even that little bit of consistency seemed to pay off.

2023- Shannon Dawson
2021,2020-Rhett Lashlee
2019- Enos
2012, 2011 Jedd Fisch
2010, 2009 Mark Whipple
2008, 2007 Pat Nix
2006-Rich Olson
2005, 2004- Dan Werner
2003- C.H.U.D

We hire new head coaches every 3 or 4 years as well. Stability has not existed at Miami.

Advertisement
1702919780207.png
1702919826427.png

1702919938613.png

1702919762801.png

1702920016429.png

1702920299181.png

1702920363210.png

Advertisement
Back