On Judd Anderson

View as article
Truly don’t think “We can’t find a serviceable QB to compete” will be a narrative under Mario here..can he find the Elite Caleb Williams or stroud type is TBD..I have 0 issues with this kid being the take in this class either..stash that arm away and see how it develops 2/3 years from now..this wil likely be brown or TBD transfer QB competition next spring

We are an another injury or the bad version of TVD away from not having a serviceable QB to compete at the level we need…

Advertisement

Brown was good enough to go into Columbus and beat OSU, and was on a NFL roster..he was a transfer to Oregon..I mean, what..

Not sure what being a transfer have to do with anything. So you’d be OK with Brown as QB1 at Miami?

We were in the same situation when King went down with the injury but then TVD, with the help of a good OC, stepped up.

You just never know what you have, especially we as fans.

But TVD wasn’t viewed as a “project.”

The concern on him was the speed of the game, since he was playing against teams whiter than a country club.

But he himself was this raw, “redshirt him, mold him, and hope the lottery ticket hits a few years from now” type QB. ****, people were talking about how he was a perfect fit for Enos’ NFL offense.

But TVD wasn’t viewed as a “project.”

The concern on him was the speed of the game, since he was playing against teams whiter than a country club.

But he himself was this raw, “redshirt him, mold him, and hope the lottery ticket hits a few years from now” type QB. ****, people were talking about how he was a perfect fit for Enos’ NFL offense.
Almost every QB who never took a snap at the college level is a project to me.

I don’t think anyone thought TVD was that good before ever seeing him play in games, the moment King went down our season was considered to be over by all of us.

And BTW very few programs can make up for the loss of QB1.

Advertisement

I don’t think anyone thought TVD was that good before ever seeing him play in games, the moment King went down our season was considered to be over by all of us.

But they have a QB2… our QB2 progress in Spring was he could hit the passing net…. And then in the Spring game he was yikes on top of yikes on top of yikes… and we should not be in that position at Miami…

But they have a QB2… our QB2 progress in Spring was he could hit the passing net…. And then in the Spring game he was yikes on top of yikes on top of yikes… and we should not be in that position at Miami…
That's fair, Brown has a different skill set (pros and cons) from every other QB on the roster though.

According to people in the know (@DMoney included) Brown had a good spring and showed improvements even with a disappointing Spring Game.

Advertisement
That's fair, Brown has a different skill set (pros and cons) from every other QB on the roster though.

According to people in the know (@DMoney included) Brown had a good spring and showed improvements even with a disappointing Spring Game.

He also thought Kaaya was the Messiah and Treon Harris was a QB… 😈

I’m not giving up on Brown. My concern is we blew up our QB room last season by hiring Gattis and then allowing him to be, well, Gattis… and putting all our eggs in the TVD basket again…

He also thought Kaaya was the Messiah and Treon Harris was a QB… 😈

I’m not giving up on Brown. My concern is we blew up our QB room last season by hiring Gattis and then allowing him to be, well, Gattis… and putting all our eggs in the TVD basket again…
That’s for sure.

You’d be happier if Rashada signed with Miami?

Because that’s the only realistic change that we could have had in the QB room for next year.

IMHO he wouldn’t have moved the needle that much.

If the offense is productive this year, you’ll see a much easier path to QB recruiting, but it will also be attractive to a transfer QB to have the chance to take the job.

I fully expect the starter next year to be a transfer.

There is a ton of pressure on Dawson this season to field a competitive offense, not just for now, but for next year, to ease the negative recruiting that people do against Cristobal. If TVD has his draft stock tanked by Cristobal’s offense, people will say he couldn’t get the most of Herbert or TVD and it’ll be incredibly difficult to get actual ready-made QB’s.

As for Anderson, watching 20 second clips against air you can see he has so much to develop on before he’s near ready to play at this level.

His footwork is robotic and he crosses his feet on each step. Any sort of chaos in the pocket and that leads to passes sailing.

He’s tall, has a nice frame, excellent arm strength, and he’s competitive. It’s a nice starter kit for a developmental QB. It’s better tape than Matocha, to put the tier in perspective.

QB recruiting has been exactly what you’d expect to this point given Mario’s track record, the Gattis season, and all the negative recruiting.

Advertisement

Then you need a new definition of “project.”

As for Anderson, watching 20 second clips against air you can see he has so much to develop on before he’s near ready to play at this level.

His footwork is robotic and he crosses his feet on each step. Any sort of chaos in the pocket and that leads to passes sailing.

He’s tall, has a nice frame, excellent arm strength, and he’s competitive. It’s a nice starter kit for a developmental QB. It’s better tape than Matocha, to put the tier in perspective.

QB recruiting has been exactly what you’d expect to this point given Mario’s track record, the Gattis season, and all the negative recruiting.
Agreed. Judd feels like the type you put on the practice squad for 2 years and see how he develops.

Judd is a developmental guy. People call Emory a developmental guy, but he’s actually pretty polished. One thing that jumps out is that there is lot of size in the QB room, between TVD, Jacurri, Emory and now Judd.

Like I’ve said, the best approach is to take a toolsy prospect and a transfer. Don’t burn your NIL on QBs that fail 70% of the time. Swing big on traits and use the Portal to secure the floor. If the OL is built the right way, we will always be in it for the Bo Nix’s and Devin Leary’s of the world.

Is Judd the guy I would have targeted? Haven’t seen enough to know. Dawson and Cristobal are making that call and we will see the results. Enos beat out Syracuse for TVD and history has proven him right in his evaluation. We’ll see on Judd, but I like the general approach of valuing tools, multisport athleticism and work ethic.

Advertisement
But then you should have an issue with this QB take.

If next year is Brown, a raw guy who right now has not yet developed into a QB that can start, then it’s bad recruiting to take another Brown in this class.
Brown would be a 3rd year guy…idk if you realize but mario has been at Miami for 1 1/2 years..brown has been here 1 year lol.

If it were Judd or a guy like Air it’s still a TF QB you’re bringing into the mix for next season. That’s my point. So Ideally the plan was to go from TVD to Jake/brown competition. Jake is gone. So it will be Brown (3rd yr guy) Williams (2nd year guy) and whomever they decide to take this class which might be Judd plus another or just Judd..either way with Garcia gone, Ideally now the plan will most likely be Bring in a Veteran guy off the Transfer portal to compete with Brown next spring and the other young guys…I wouldn’t have been surprised if they took a Transfer Arm rn..so that’s why I have no issue taking a guy like Judd..I personally don’t like TF QBs to start and be expected to be savior. Even if it’s a guy like Air..that’s kind of the notion your getting at, correct if I’m wrong..so that’s why I don’t have a issue with taking Williams last cycle as the only or Judd this cycle

Agreed. Judd feels like the type you put on the practice squad for 2 years and see how he develops.
To be fair, he’s not a take for me unless he’s the #2 QB. I wouldn’t have taken Emory unless he was the #2 QB, either, so I’m a bit of a tough grader at the position.

The Miami coaches know far more football than I do, have far more information than I do, and are probably more accurate than I am.

But I’ve promised myself I’ll just be open and transparent with what my eyes tell me after the Tommy Kennedy fiasco, where I was hesitant to say “this kid doesn’t have the functional strength to play at this level” because I was sure I was overstating one game tape I was able to review.

Judd is a developmental guy. People call Emory a developmental guy, but he’s actually pretty polished. One thing that jumps out is that there is lot of size in the QB room, between TVD, Jacurri, Emory and now Judd.

Like I’ve said, the best approach is to take a toolsy prospect and a transfer. Don’t burn your NIL on QBs that fail 70% of the time. Swing big on traits and use the Portal to secure the floor. If the OL is built the right way, we will always be in it for the Bo Nix’s and Devin Leary’s of the world.

Is Judd the guy I would have targeted? Haven’t seen enough to know. Dawson and Cristobal are making that call and we will see the results. Enos beat out Syracuse for TVD and history has proven him right in his evaluation. We’ll see on Judd, but I like the general approach of valuing tools, multisport athleticism and work ethic.
D$ is always one of the first guys I text with about prospects because I have so much respect for his perspective and down-to-earth thoughts.

Plus, he’s an awesome hype guy and I tend to be a guy who sees lots of flaws, so thanks for this, D.

You’re certainly not wrong because of the transfer portal, Python your money elsewhere and targeting transfers at the position when you need them is smart.

We are an another injury or the bad version of TVD away from not having a serviceable QB to compete at the level we need
That’s literally the story for majority of CFB..we just saw Bama have to add a potential starter post spring practice..there’s probably 5 programs in which there starting QB can get hurt or **** the bed & the drop off to 2 isn’t substantial

Advertisement
Back