On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
This take should be clearly QB2 and I have no doubt this is not who Mario would want as QB1. Contending champions don’t settle for this kind of take, unless they possibly have a room full of QB1 potentials which Miami does not have. I have no doubt that Mario knows this.

As far as the QB room goes, Brown may have tremendous upside, but there is no guarantee he develops that upside. 50-50 at best. Way too many athletes that come into college with not great accuracy that never improve their accuracy much. I don’t care how hard they work.

Miami needs to sign another more developed QB in this class badly, and will need to do so again next year.

The QB room of Brown, Williams and Anderson for 2024 right now would be laughed at by any contending team, and even FSU and UF would laugh at it, as would Miami fans if that group were elsewhere. One of the 3, or more them might turn out great, but the odds need to be stacked more in Miami’s favor with better current talent coming in.
Considering all of them combined has started 1 game in college!....either, Yu didn't kno that? Or your trolling but I suggest letting them develop.

I don't care so much about QB recruiting from the HS level as I do recruiting the portal for QBs. It is 2023, you just don't need to take these types of QBs anymore. Wastes a scholarship most of the time. How many Taylor Cooks and Matochas do you need to run through to find a decent one? Even the three-stars and "unknowns" we've been trotting out over the past like 20 years haven't been that good. Non-NFL players, and not good enough to win a lot of games in college types. We've been a 7-5 type program with these ham'n'egger 3-star QB types.

Its not my fault the 4 and 5 star guys we have gotten are cheeks, but you don't stop recruiting them for 3-star types. Just go to the portal and get a guy that has shown he can play at some college level. Everybody's doing it now. Let Judd Anderson go prove he's worth a Power 5 scholarship at Western Kentucky or something and then double back.
Not hating! I get what you’re saying. But this may be the plan. Let the young guys like Anderson and Williams develop and go get a portal kid to compete with Brown

Advertisement
@Peter Ariz interviews Judd Anderson on this week's CanesInsight podcast

• He's training with Quarterback country
  • He's got a nickname now from Canes Twitter family. Pete didn't follow up but searching through his timeline reveals the nickname: "The Ambassador"

Last edited:
Wish we had some breakdown of his INTs. Really that’s the only concern right now for me….to a lesser extent the completion percentage.

I only found one breakdown written by SI a few months ago describing his deep ball accuracy as excellent and how he gave his WRs a lot of 50/50 opportunities. Outside of his #1 how is the rest of the WR core?

Not making excuses to hype him as QB1 but I’d like some context here. Regardless, he’s going to a new school that doesn’t run wing T correct? We’ll know a lot more his senior year. If they’re not taking many shots down field and he’s slinging it for a big play I can envision how that could lead to INTs.

I am excited for him to be in the class. I do think his upside is worth the take at the moment. He has a lot of buzz around him and happy to see we were on him early. Could pay off big time if/when he really blows up.
He's got ONE WR left on the team now. Graduation is a muhfucca, lol. Being that one of my best friends is a DB coach at a rival school, I have a little insight. His quote, not mine. "The Anderson kid is probably the BEST and WORST QB in the state... At the same **** time, and In the same **** game, lol. He will show you both of those traits, at times, in the same game. He has the size, arm talent, smart, and he can move around a little. But on the flip side, he makes some really dumb decisions with the ball. At times, he don't value the football, and will takes unnecessary chances. He a 'gunslinger'. I love him, because I know my kids gonna get chances at multiple ints, when we play them, lol". When I asked him do you think the kid threw all of the ints because he was in a spread type offense for the first time? He said, "It could explain it. He's got some issues making reads, if you take the 1st one away. That looks like somebody raised in a wing t type scheme (in that passing game, it's one read, get rid of the ball). IDK if he's actually seeing the coverages, yet.... well he didn't last year. Not seeing what is there, and trying to force **** that ain't there, is his biggest issues. But skills? He got skills. Loves trying to throw it deep. He gonna need some more coaching though. He could be scary, if he ever learns to not force ****, and take his checkdowns."

He's got ONE WR left on the team now. Graduation is a muhfucca, lol. Being that one of my best friends is a DB coach at a rival school, I have a little insight. His quote, not mine. "The Anderson kid is probably the BEST and WORST QB in the state... At the same **** time, and In the same **** game, lol. He will show you both of those traits, at times, in the same game. He has the size, arm talent, smart, and he can move around a little. But on the flip side, he makes some really dumb decisions with the ball. At times, he don't value the football, and will takes unnecessary chances. He a 'gunslinger'. I love him, because I know my kids gonna get chances at multiple ints, when we play them, lol". When I asked him do you think the kid threw all of the ints because he was in a spread type offense for the first time? He said, "It could explain it. He's got some issues making reads, if you take the 1st one away. That looks like somebody raised in a wing t type scheme (in that passing game, it's one read, get rid of the ball). IDK if he's actually seeing the coverages, yet.... well he didn't last year. Not seeing what is there, and trying to force **** that ain't there, is his biggest issues. But skills? He got skills. Loves trying to throw it deep. He gonna need some more coaching though. He could be scary, if he ever learns to not force ****, and take his checkdowns."
This sounds like a kid who doesnt have a lot of elite talent around him desperate to make something big happen instead of taking what is given. Easy fix? Maybe...but hopefully we dont need him for 2 years and he can become a huge film nerd and become obsessed with the process.

This sounds like a kid who doesnt have a lot of elite talent around him desperate to make something big happen instead of taking what is given. Easy fix? Maybe...but hopefully we dont need him for 2 years and he can become a huge film nerd and become obsessed with the process.
Last year, he had some playmakers. But he was new to the system and was forcing stuff, and spraying the ball all over the place.. This year he's down to one. He's gotta play better and make better decisions.

Advertisement

Thank you. A lot of this mirrors my assumptions. Dawson must feel he can unlock that aspect of his game. You can teach reads, tough or impossible to coach the rest of his skill set.

Very interested to see what he does in year 2 with less talent at WR. If he looks improved with less talent, that bodes well for Dawsons evaluation.

That **** is easy to fix! Just with practice, reps, and watching film. His problems are not physical and that’s good news. He has no physical limitations and just needs time to develop. I love the take! He won’t transfer because he knows he has to sit and learn and get better.

Like others have said I'm kinda glad his issues stem from being aggressive and forcing throws - that's coachable stuff. Be far worse if he was timid or late or just missing guys.

Advertisement
Like others have said I'm kinda glad his issues stem from being aggressive and forcing throws - that's coachable stuff. Be far worse if he was timid or late or just missing guys.
He’s missed some reads also. I’m waiting for this season to start. I wanna see him in year 2 running that offense. His HC/OC is not conservative at all. He’ll drop 100 on yo ***, if he can. So I’m intrigued.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We've heard a lot about Mario and "body type" recruiting. Does he subscribe to that theory with regard to QBs too? Plenty of smaller QBs succeed in college who do not possess an NFL body type. I am curious if he is extending that philosophy to the QB position as well.

Advertisement
Back