On Judd Anderson

View as article
Sucks to miss out on priority targets...

Just give me a serviceable system QB that can shine under Dawson. Truth is QB recruiting is always a crapshoot. If our OC is worth his salt, he can identify the talent and develop it.
Like Saban and our system before, we didn’t need anything but distributors of the ball, but until we start locking up regular classes like that with insane OL, stables of backs and wideouts…we don’t need QB to be an experiment.

The one thing I will trust is that our new OC knows what kind of guys he wants…

Advertisement
If reporters just kept it simple with "coaches like Anderson because of his potential and continue to look to pair him with a 2nd Qb" I'd be fine with it but the immediate need to defend taking the kid b/c no HS Qb is a guarantee and look at all these 3 stars lead the NCAA in passing stats seems off. No one was comparing Emory to 3 star diamonds in the rough when he committed so why the need for all these articles and twitter folk coming to rationalize this commit.

That Navarro piece just looks dumb. "Oh coaches like him just as much as Air." So either the evaluation staff is **** because you obviously can't compare both Air and his tapes. Not only that, but if the goal is still keep chipping away at Air, if I was Air I would think this staff is crazy to think of himself and Anderson as equal players so why would I entertain them. Kid got the green light to commit and congrats to him, but we can all feel like him being the only Qb this class needs b/c stars don't translate to Qb's is a dumb take.

If reporters just kept it simple with "coaches like Anderson because of his potential and continue to look to pair him with a 2nd Qb" I'd be fine with it but the immediate need to defend taking the kid b/c no HS Qb is a guarantee and look at all these 3 stars lead the NCAA in passing stats seems off. No one was comparing Emory to 3 star diamonds in the rough when he committed so why the need for all these articles and twitter folk coming to rationalize this commit.

That Navarro piece just looks dumb. "Oh coaches like him just as much as Air." So either the evaluation staff is **** because you obviously can't compare both Air and his tapes. Not only that, but if the goal is still keep chipping away at Air, if I was Air I would think this staff is crazy to think of himself and Anderson as equal players so why would I entertain them. Kid got the green light to commit and congrats to him, but we can all feel like him being the only Qb this class needs b/c stars don't translate to Qb's is a dumb take.
Exactly right. He’s a super high upside QB2, and hopefully he turns into the next Herbert or Allen or Anthony Richardson or Derek Anderson. But it’s also fair that Mario’s QB recruiting has been mostly dog **** everywhere he has been and until proven otherwise we are completely right to be skeptical of any non-blue chip he takes, because his evals don’t warrant any trust yet.

Like how does buddy have 13 ints in a wing T?? You only throw the ball 10x per game in that offense if you’re really living on the edge. It’s borderline unimaginable to throw more than 1 pick per game in a wing t offense. wtf are we doing 😅
Lol unexplainable man

Every year proves the complete opposite.

There are no “evaluate the tape” teams actually competing for championships.
TCU last year and Cincinnati the year before.

My point being is that a recruiting class that has several interesting 3 star prospects is not a bad thing And you need to be able to evaluate the prospect. How many 4-5 star players have we had that sucked? Tons and how many 2-3 star SoFl prospects have turned out to be very good players? Tons

i’m not going to write off a player because he is a 3 star player or didn’t have great stats in HS.

Advertisement
A couple of things

1. There’s a LOT of time till NSD next year and QBs will shift schools a bunch.

2. The QB star rankings a lot of times are political too. Don’t be confused by it. Look at FSU’s guy. Barely played but good athlete and a 4 star. The top guys all hit the camp circuit a lot.

3. How many of you actually know much about the position and or are around HS QBs or QB coaches? I am every week given my son who trains with a lot of D1 and D2 prospects. My son is young (still 11 and the youngest one out there) but he’s with the top QB coaches in SoCal and I see how political and how going to camps impacts rankings a lot. I also see who you train with with matters too. I also see a lot of the other behind the scenes things as well. Let’s give this time.

4. Not saying Judd doesn’t have completion % issues which to me is his biggest issue. Not the INTs, but not connecting on throws (I.e Richardson). We’ll see but he has his Senior Year and from the looks he hasn’t been around much of the 7 on 7 and camp circuit. He might have a great WR and a horrible OL in AAAAA Georgia football. We don’t know how good or bad his team is too. There’s more to the story as well.

5. One thing I will tell you is you can’t deny his size. His arm strength and size are big positives but to me the most important thing is does he want to be great and willing to put the time into it. I see kids all the time - incredible athletes but you take a kid who loves the games and willing to put the time into being great and I’ll take that kid every day of the week.

And every non-star person believes they have the secret talent decoder ring that the rating services don’t.

And Mario has shown zero ability to develop a QB. When you’re that bad at it up to this point in your career, and you were brought in to be a recruiting first coach, you don’t get a 3* QB pass.
Fair! But this kid to me isn’t like the normal 3 star special. He was a basketball kid who was very good. He can move. They ran a wing T until last year and he absolutely needs some work. But I just love how he threw the ball last year and his skill set for this system. Again, I never said he was better than Air. I just said I don’t think this kid is a scrub.

They aren't comparing them now as much as they're comparing the projection of where they could be in our system.

Most of these QBs coming out of H.S. are projection with a small exception. Judd simply has things you can't teach that create challenges in college & project well to the NFL; he'll be somewhere near 230lbs at 6'6" playing QB in college with the athleticism of a basketball player in a spread offense.

He commits on the spot, tells the mopes "don't worry--IT'S ON", and is already recruiting.

The Rock Love GIF by The Kelly Clarkson Show

Last edited:
Most of these QBs coming out of H.S. are projection with a small exception. Judd simply has things you can't teach that create challenges in college & project well to the NFL; he'll be somewhere near 230lbs at 6'6" playing QB in college, with the athleticism of a basketball player in a spread offense.

He's committs on the spot, tells the mopes "don't worry--IT'S ON", and is already recruiting.

Who is he recruiting? I mean, I like his effort but dude ain't got no pull man lol

Advertisement
They aren't comparing them now as much as they're comparing the projection of where they could be in our system.

Most of these QBs coming out of H.S. are projection with a small exception. Judd simply has things you can't teach that create challenges in college & project well to the NFL; he'll be somewhere near 230lbs at 6'6" playing QB in college with the athleticism of a basketball player in a spread offense.

He's committs on the spot, tells the mopes "don't worry--IT'S ON", and is already recruiting.

Yea good luck with this guy moving the needle with any offensive recruits. Probably better if he stays away from the 4/5 star WRs we’re recruiting.

Advertisement
Ummmm what about last offseason when every coach was new and we brought in a bunch of transfers. Or every three years at Miami before that.

Believe what you want. Most of the portal guys we got weren't highly recruited by elite schools and the high school kids coming in this year won't contribute to wins even if they play. Outside the OL guys potentially having an impact because the rest of our guys aren't very good.

This team is going to be average at best.

It's fine if you think this team will be average at best, I tend to think there is a really good shot of that, and I would consider it an improvement from last year. This is a tough build IMO, and I expect to see progress each and every year or I will be disappointed. But you lose me when you reference three years ago or even last year. Three years ago was a different planet. 95% of those kids, 100% of those coaches (with Field going off-field) and even the AD, S&C, nutrition, etc is different. You're just hating the uniform for sport. If your jam is to just enjoy being pessimistic for pessimism's sake, go right ahead. But it's not very thoughtful. As an example if you think this years OL is from the same universe as last year's OL or Manny's OL then you're just being disingenuous. As if we didn't go scorched earth to bring in seven new kids including two 5-stars, the #2 C in CFB and an Alabama starter who hasn't given up a sack to turn it upside down.

Last edited:
TCU last year and Cincinnati the year before.

My point being is that a recruiting class that has several interesting 3 star prospects is not a bad thing And you need to be able to evaluate the prospect. How many 4-5 star players have we had that sucked? Tons and how many 2-3 star SoFl prospects have turned out to be very good players? Tons

i’m not going to write off a player because he is a 3 star player or didn’t have great stats in HS.
TCU last yr had a 4* star QB running the show. Max Duggans was the #4 DT in the nation. I’ll give u Ridder for Cincy, however.

This is the Bubba Baxa of QBs! This is my concern with Cristobal. Bringing in elite passers is how you transform a program. Jacurri and Emory are already projects, now we go after a third?
Why is everyone just conceding that JB, Emory, or Judd are not gonna be good?

I remember tvd looking horrible against Bama and people saying he wasn’t the dude.
Came back and killed it.

Now people are saying that JB sucks after last year despite tvd looking horrible too.

Dudes laying down the gauntlet and saying Emory will never play a snap.
The Fck?!

Nobody was gonna look good throwing the ball on the team we had last year.

Predicting what qb is gonna turn into is the biggest crap shoot in football.

The greatest qb that ever lived was almost undrafted.
A hall of famer was bagging groceries after being cut from an nfl team cause he was the 4th string dude.

The nfl has strong track record of first round qb busts. As does cfb with 5 star qb’s.

But cis knows who’s gonna ball.

Advertisement
really wanted air Noland and it's going to suck watching him light it up so close by to me at Ohio State but I think honestly no matter who we get, with our revamped offense... it'll still feel night and day
We're going to have to establish proof of concept with our offensive system before we start landing elite program changing QBs.

That being said it has been proven time and again that a good OC/QB coach with a good system can do great things with 3 star type QBs. I have no problem with the offer or the commitment. Judd looks like a very solid prospect. Who knew that Leonard from Duke would turn out like he has?

Advertisement
Back