On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
This is the Bubba Baxa of QBs! This is my concern with Cristobal. Bringing in elite passers is how you transform a program. Jacurri and Emory are already projects, now we go after a third?
Go look at 247s top QB every cycle top 10 QBs tons of busts. Hardest position to pick to translate to CFB. If u watch Judd what’s not to like other than star ranking. I watched seems like a good take. Is Air better yes but Judd is 100% a D1 QB. Develop him for 2 years and he will look like a P5 starter. If I had one criticism of him from his tape is he seemed a bit late on some throws

Advertisement
People need to realize that QB is the one position, more than any other on the field, where NIL isn’t always the most important thing. The majority of these elite 4 and 5 Star guys are looking for proof-of-concept on the field and an OC/system that really lets them shine. This is why I’m not too concerned with any QB’s who commit right now. If the offense goes out and puts up 35-40 pts per game and looks amazing this year we will have a lot better options before this cycle ends. The possibility to still land Air is not over yet, but we actually have to show something on the field.

TCU last year and Cincinnati the year before.

My point being is that a recruiting class that has several interesting 3 star prospects is not a bad thing And you need to be able to evaluate the prospect. How many 4-5 star players have we had that sucked? Tons and how many 2-3 star SoFl prospects have turned out to be very good players? Tons

i’m not going to write off a player because he is a 3 star player or didn’t have great stats in HS.

Neither of those teams competed for a national title.

They played mostly a 3* schedule, and got their *** handed to them in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Go look at 247s top QB every cycle top 10 QBs tons of busts. Hardest position to pick to translate to CFB. If u watch Judd what’s not to like other than star ranking. I watched seems like a good take. Is Air better yes but Judd is 100% a D1 QB. Develop him for 2 years and he will look like a P5 starter. If I had one criticism of him from his tape is he seemed a bit late on some throws

But go look at QBs that rank in the Top 50 overall recruits. Maybe even Top 100.

There actually aren’t tons of busts. The hit rate is pretty high.

And Mario was brought in to win those battles. By his own admission he’s a recruiting rankings guy.

Advertisement
Transfer portal minimizes the pain of missing on top QB prospects.

Not really.

The problem with the transfer portal is there aren’t always big time players in it. And if there are, they are limited.

People love to bring up Justin Fields and Caleb Williams.

But if you needed a QB this year, who was your best bet? The dude from NC State? Who apparently wasn’t good enough to just go to the NFL Draft. The dude from Wake, who is probably the byproduct of a great system for QBs.

There just wasn’t a Williams or Fields in the portal this year.

Your best bet of ensuring that you get a game changer at QB, is through high school recruiting. And Mario has never done that as a HC.

Not really.

The problem with the transfer portal is there aren’t always big time players in it. And if there are, they are limited.

But if you needed a QB this year, who was your best bet? The dude from NC State? Who apparently wasn’t good enough to just go to the NFL Draft. The dude from Wake, who is probably the byproduct of a great system for QBs.

Your best bet of ensuring that you get a game changer at QB, is through high school recruiting. And Mario has never done that as a HC.

Yup. When it comes to the truly elite QB transfers we’ve seen in recent years, most of them have gone to play for Lincoln Riley, whose track record of coaching Heisman-trophy winning QB’s and 1st-round draft picks is the polar opposite of Cristobal’s offensive reputation.

Baker Mayfield
Kyler Murray
Jalen Hurts (2nd-round pick turned NFL MVP runner-up)
Caleb Williams

That caliber of transfer makes up their mind long before announcing their intentions. If you miss on your QB evals and struggle to develop the players you recruited, it inevitably comes back to haunt you and you’re left trotting out an Anthony Brown-level transfer that’ll keep you away from rock bottom but also clearly lower your ceiling no matter how much you fortify the trenches.

There are two first-round Portal QBs in this draft alone.

Been saying this since last year: allocate the NIL money to positions like DT and CB that hit at far higher rate than QB. Spend on portal QBs and sign high-upside cheap QBs.

JB gonna lead us to the promise land. I stan him
There are two first-round Portal QBs in this draft alone.

Been saying this since last year: allocate the NIL money to positions like DT and CB that hit at far higher rate than QB. Spend on portal QBs and sign high-upside cheap QBs.
Which is why i think this outrage over the QB is overblown. Its mad easy to get QBs into the portal because only one can play and if u have 4 blue chippers on your roster with an entrenched starter, yeah.

Advertisement

Which is why i think this outrage over the QB is overblown. Its mad easy to get QBs into the portal because only one can play and if u have 4 blue chippers on your roster with an entrenched starter, yeah.

Ego will definitely drive QBs away. Hopefully, it will drive good ones this way. Need Dawson to produce bigly.

Which is why it’s almost a bad thing to have too many blue chip QB’s on your roster these days. Back in the day, kids would come in and sit 1-2 years before getting their chance, but not anymore. Even if we did get Noland, chances are we would lose Jaccuri, Emory, or Air...maybe even two of them. As a side note, can you imagine how frustrating and nerve-wracking it must be to be a head coach always worrying about when your next QB might leave. It’s almost impossible to build up any quality QB depth nowadays.

Advertisement
Not really.

I get what you're saying and your right in theory but I don't think people are expecting to get Heisman caliber QBs in the transfer portal. The transfer portal offers game ready - starter level QBs. Air Noland may turn out to be a bust whereas the qb you get in the portal is more of a sure thing as you'll know what you're getting in that player.

The transfer portal lessens the urgency of getting top HSFB Qb. Once we start winning we'll depend less on the portal.

Judd competes in the Elite 11 next month.. If he earns a ticket to the finals not only will he jump up in the rankings but it will essentially validate everything the Canes staff is saying.

if jacurri has improved as much as people say he has then all this won't matter too much anyways

Advertisement
Back