On Judd Anderson

View as article
Judd competes in the Elite 11 next month.. If he earns a ticket to the finals not only will he jump up in the rankings but it will essentially validate everything the Canes staff is saying.
Yea I'd much rather have an elite 11 finalist than a QB with winning record and favorable statistics. Once the shorts come on is when it really matters.

Advertisement
Yea I'd much rather have an elite 11 finalist than a QB with winning record and favorable statistics. Once the shorts come on is when it really matters.
Remember when everyone was excited about Preston Dewey being in the Elite 11 competition? Kid won a total of 3 games in his high school career and played for a program that was ranked 12,000 nationally and 1,200 in the State of Texas. His HS OL had guys that were 175 pounds. But hey "we're getting an Elite 11 QB". Total BS. Having said that Judd Anderson has a super strong arm and some accuracy and can really move for a guy who is a legit 6'6".

JB gonna lead us to the promise land. I stan him

Which is why i think this outrage over the QB is overblown. Its mad easy to get QBs into the portal because only one can play and if u have 4 blue chippers on your roster with an entrenched starter, yeah.
His development path is lining up perfectly to take over next year. Glad he's at least shown some improvement as a passer but he'll need to take another big step by this time next year. Hopefully by then the o line & skill talent have the overall depth, talent we need so the table can be ideally set for Jacurri.

Fair! But this kid to me isn’t like the normal 3 star special. He was a basketball kid who was very good. He can move. They ran a wing T until last year and he absolutely needs some work. But I just love how he threw the ball last year and his skill set for this system. Again, I never said he was better than Air. I just said I don’t think this kid is a scrub.
Just a comment for comparison purposes, as a junior in high school Josh Allen had a 50% completion % and made a jump his senior year

Its not like there aren't a few D2, FCS, and G5 QBs that move up to P5 FBS football and ball out as starters, nevermind the ones that become backups. There are Cam Wards every year. Sometimes multiple. There are also tons of former 4 and 5 star studs looking to make a move...it doesn't have to be the obvious ones like Caleb Williams or Quinn Ewers, but Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels...two...disappointing players (not busts, just didn't play their best football) that transfer and find big success.

The only way my brain can wrap around multi-million dollar coaches taking these guys at this level, is, perhaps, you set aside one scholarship a year for these kind of QBs you just take as a lotto ticket. Maybe they have a trait or two that you love (size or smarts or good leadership quality). Thats your one scholarship play money allowance, idk. Maybe some teams factor this into their roster construction...if they get on campus and they are a dud, they transfer and you just replace him with the next lotto ticket? idk. Sooner or later you scratch it off and you win your money back with a guy that will stay until they graduate and they were a good teammate through..or win big enough to make this endeavor worthwhile, perhaps, and you find a starting quality player. idk Plus, you need camp/practice arms, too. These could all be factors in team construction philosophy some teams have.

Matocha was here, got his degree, showed up to practice and threw the ball when needed and I believe transferred out...either way, maybe there is a designated slot on the roster for that guy on every/most rosters. I wouldn't have a problem if that were the case. Someone has to help relay plays, understand the offense, help with general roster construction etc. That can't be a guy that doesn't stay for a few years, so, I get it from that perspective, I guess.
Recruiting services do a good job these days of identifying guys and whatnot but we all know they fall in love with certain guys and just ride out that 4 and 5 star kid they’ve known for years

So kids go under the radar all the time. Or heck imagine a kid needing until he’s 19-20 to really mature? That’s actually more logical than anointing a 16 year old a 5 star can’t miss prospect

Anyway, spot on I think. It’s exactly why I’m glad we let a kid like Rashada walk.

Advertisement
We’ve had 3 Elite 11 MVPs so are we secretly QBU? Berlin, Wright, and legend Jake Heaps

Past Elite 11 winners include: Shea Patterson, Blake Barnett, Sean White, and Asiantii Woulard. Elite…

My issue is why choose him over Moga? Moga is absolutely exploding with offers. He’s a top tier athlete and he’s only been playing QB for 3 years which explain why he’s a bit inaccurate but also shows that he’s nothing but moldable clay with breakable bad habits. Judd has tools but I don’t care if it’s the wing T or they were doing 1920’s jump passes. His TD:Int ratio scares me.

You playing with injuries off? We need depth & quality depth. Hopefully he is paired with a portal guy who is ready now
Air Noland is just as likely (if not more so) to be injured than JB who is now reportedly up 30 pounds and 225

obviously I'm not saying we stop qb recruiting but I don't get excited about incoming QB recruits because 8/10 chance they don't end up playing meaningful snaps for the team they commit to

There are two first-round Portal QBs in this draft alone.

Been saying this since last year: allocate the NIL money to positions like DT and CB that hit at far higher rate than QB. Spend on portal QBs and sign high-upside cheap QBs.

If you have been saying this, you should stop.

Look at QBs that rank in the Top 100 overall players and their hit rate. It’s a great investment.

And who are the game changers in this year’s transfer class you would want starting against Alabama or UGA?

Advertisement
Im not going to bat for Judd. Im going to bat for Dawson track record. Im also going to bat that we can instantly get a QB thats a backup at a power 5 level or one that gas outperformed the G5 level. Its not as difficult as getting other positions into the portal.

I get what you're saying and your right in theory but I don't think people are expecting to get Heisman caliber QBs in the transfer portal. The transfer portal offers game ready - starter level QBs. Air Noland may turn out to be a bust whereas the qb you get in the portal is more of a sure thing as you'll know what you're getting in that player.

The transfer portal lessens the urgency of getting top HSFB Qb. Once we start winning we'll depend less on the portal.

How many sure things are there in the portal this past cycle?

247 has Hudson Card ranked as the third best QB overall in the portal? Would you really want to roll with him as the QB next year?

DJ U is ranked as a Top 10 transfer QB. Would anybody want him to be the starting QB if he didn’t have to be?

This is how you get stuck with Anthony Brown as your transfer starting QB for 2 years. You miss at the high school level, and have to take what’s out there in the portal, because there actually isn’t much.

Im not going to bat for Judd. Im going to bat for Dawson track record. Im also going to bat that we can instantly get a QB thats a backup at a power 5 level or one that gas outperformed the G5 level. Its not as difficult as getting other positions into the portal.

What is Dawson’s track record?

My issue is why choose him over Moga? Moga is absolutely exploding with offers. He’s a top tier athlete and he’s only been playing QB for 3 years which explain why he’s a bit inaccurate but also shows that he’s nothing but moldable clay with breakable bad habits. Judd has tools but I don’t care if it’s the wing T or they were doing 1920’s jump passes. His TD:Int ratio scares me.
why are you giving Moga a pass but not Judd?? I don’t see it with Moga and I think he has bigger accuracy issues than Judd does

Advertisement
why are you giving Moga a pass but not Judd?? I don’t see it with Moga and I think he has bigger accuracy issues than Judd does
I will say Judd’s 56 % comp was due to his team pushing the ball downfield a lot , I mean majority of his throws are deep with some intermediate throws. He’s not getting many layups like most systems these days have. Just go watch his HL’s or better yet his game film. He doesn‘t have an accuracy issue if you watch the tape.

I will say Judd’s 56 % comp was due to his team pushing the ball downfield a lot , I mean majority of his throws are deep with some intermediate throws. He’s not getting many layups like most systems these days have. Just go watch his HL’s or better yet his game film. He doesn‘t have an accuracy issue if you watch the tape.
Oh I agree with you on that..I do think a lot of the interceptions are maybe him still learning how to actually play QB and read the defense..

Advertisement
We’ve had 3 Elite 11 MVPs so are we secretly QBU? Berlin, Wright, and legend Jake Heaps

Past Elite 11 winners include: Shea Patterson, Blake Barnett, Sean White, and Asiantii Woulard. Elite…
Not sure who else you could want with everything on the line.

Because he‘s only played football for 3 years. Giant difference from a guy who’s played it his whole life.

Just lol on not being able to see it with Moga but with Judd. That’s why Moga blew up to 26 + offers.

Its clear that like D money said they are going for players with high upside and athletic ability. Knowing if it works out they have a NFL talent, if it doesnt they can fall back to the portal for even on of these guys they didnt get. Wrong or right, it does make sense cohesively

Advertisement
Back