On Judd Anderson

View as article
I get the concern on Mario and the fact other teams are negatively recruiting his track record. But I think that's overplayed. Dawson is a known factor, and Mario will certainly tell potential QB transfers that he's fully embracing Dawson's scheme and playbook. We're talking about a guy who is elite at recruiting. I expect he'll overcome the objections.

Advertisement
For all these posts about how it’s foolish or bad business to invest heavily in premier HS QB recruits, it’s interesting that none of the top programs and coaches agree with that “strategy.” Lincoln Riley is the coach who's had the most success through the portal at QB, by far. But even after Spencer Rattler was a bust at OU, he’s landed two 5*’s out of HS in Caleb Williams (who followed him to USC) and Malachi Nelson.

Not only is Riley investing heavily on HS QB’s, but his offensive reputation and track record with QB's is the polar opposite of Cristobal's. He has landed whoever he wants at QB and will likely continue to do so whether it be through HS or the portal. With Mario? That doesn't seem to be the case, to say the least.

- Alabama is losing Bryce Young to the NFL. Their QB battle now is between 5* Ty Simpson and top 100 overall recruit Jalen Milroe. They landed a Top 100 overall recruit in Eli Holstein last cycle and 5* Julian Sayin is a verbal commit this year. Surely Nick Saban knows that only 1 QB can play at a time, right?

- Clemson has made us look like a JV high school team whenever we've played them in recent years. Dabo's path to championships was spearheaded by Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. Their most recent 5* QB didn't pan out, so they'll try again with 5* Cade Klubnik. They then signed Top 100 QB Christopher Vizzina in last year's class.

- OSU is losing CJ Stroud to the NFL. Their QB battle this spring/summer is between former Top 50 overall recruit Devin Brown and former 5* recruit Kyle McCord. Unfortunately, they just won the battle against us for Top 100 overall QB recruit Air Noland. Think Ryan Day ever gives a dam that Quinn Ewers transferred?

None of these top programs believe in punting at QB to the point where you're settling for mid-3* projects with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes. And none of these programs have issues landing blue-chip WR talent to play with those QB's like we do. Some really need to look outside of the Miami bubble and realize just how our QB room looks compared to the programs we’re trying to compete against.

And if you’d respond to this by saying we can’t financially compete with those programs for QB’s, then why on earth would you believe we could outspend them to create blue-chip units across the board at WR, OL, DL, and CB?

Respectfully, you just based your argument on 3 programs who have been annually top 5 in the country over the past 10 years, and Lincoln Riley as your examples. We're not there yet.

Besides, you know who runs OSU's NIL program? Urban Meyer. Even with Ruiz and other NIL donors, we are not in their league when it comes to funding NIL. And we may never be.

The good news is that very very few programs have those types of resources. If we're in the 6-10 group of NIL (+ Bags for the good-ole-boy schools) budgets, then we will still have enough to support a playoff contending program. You just can't throw funny money at a bunch of HS QBs to get there.

This take should be clearly QB2 and I have no doubt this is not who Mario would want as QB1. Contending champions don’t settle for this kind of take, unless they possibly have a room full of QB1 potentials which Miami does not have. I have no doubt that Mario knows this.

As far as the QB room goes, Brown may have tremendous upside, but there is no guarantee he develops that upside. 50-50 at best. Way too many athletes that come into college with not great accuracy that never improve their accuracy much. I don’t care how hard they work.

Miami needs to sign another more developed QB in this class badly, and will need to do so again next year.

The QB room of Brown, Williams and Anderson for 2024 right now would be laughed at by any contending team, and even FSU and UF would laugh at it, as would Miami fans if that group were elsewhere. One of the 3, or more them might turn out great, but the odds need to be stacked more in Miami’s favor with better current talent coming in.

Advertisement
I think Sam Hartman was the top rated Portal QB and that rules him out imo. We laugh and joke but Graham Mertz, Spencer Sanders or someone on that level seems more likely. We've been conservative in the portal sans a LG and Center. Neither of which command top dollar and both of which an OL focused coach would appeal to. If we've spent top dollar somewhere I missed it.

Hartman also shows the weakness of the portal route.

There are tons of elite players in the 2023 high school recruiting class across all position groups. You just had to identify them and land them.
But supply isn’t a problem.

That’s not the case with the 2023 transfer class. Or any transfer class. You don’t know what the supply will look like.

Sam Hartman is a nice college player that played in a very productive system. When he’s maybe the best QB you can even hope to land in the portal in a given year, the portal can’t be the best avenue for you to shop for talent. Because sometimes the shelf is going to be empty.

People are saying “lets go the Lincoln Riley route” for QBs. But it’s just as likely we end up going the Pat Narduzzi route. Of his starting QBs:

Peterman
Browne
Pickett
Yellen
Slovis
Jurkovic

Peterman had a really good year in 2016 when Pitt’s OC took college football by storm running that jet sweep offense that nobody saw coming (including apparently Coach O after he hired him the next season).

And then KP in 2021 lit up college football and carried them.

Outside of that, their QB play has sucked. And has held back their team. A team that consistently has one of the best DLs in all of college football.

Robbie Ashford was a Mario recruit that transferred to & played for Auburn, better runner than a passer at this point. Jay Butterfield was another Mario recruit that transferred to San Jose St., has only attempted 4 passes in His career. Not mentioned on that list is Tyler Slough, another Mario recruit that ended up transferring to Texas Tech, has put some OK numbers but nothing earth shattering. Lastly, Cale Millen was another Mario recruit that transferred to UConn, mehhhh.

And they were all 4*s btw.

All the star system for QB tells you is how good a kid was in HS, it doesn't tell you how good a kid will be at the College level, crap shoot at best.

Which is why we need Mario to land elite QB recruits.

He doesn’t have a track record of making even moderate 4* guys work. He needs to idiot proof this thing.

Advertisement
The QB room of Brown, Williams and Anderson for 2024 right now would be laughed at by any contending team, and even FSU and UF would laugh at it, as would Miami fans if that group were elsewhere.

LOL, those 2 schools won't have a better QB room than us next year. Especially FSU, none of the QBs that Norvell has recruited or bought in from the portal has been able to beat out Travis, a former 3*.

I skipped 37.5 pages. Is this a good commit?
In summary...
1) The QB position is the most important position in the universe, unless you're talking about the O-Line or D-Line which are more important (as a group, not individuals).
2) You can argue for 35 pages using Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama as comparisons to prove your point, but in 2023 we are still us and they are still them, and this recruit would probably do better in those places than this place, but they did not recruit him.
3) Ultimately, though, it might or might not be Mario's fault that there are no booty GIFs in 41 pages

Mario put himself way behind the eight-ball recruiting '24 QBs. Face it, Canes were a disaster in '22 & Mario ended up firing his offensive coordinator. QB recruiting is about long-established relationships and Canes didn't have an OC or QB coach as pitchman. You can't finally hire OC/QB coach in February or whatever & realistically expect to snag top 24 QB.

Advertisement
For all these posts about how it’s foolish or bad business to invest heavily in premier HS QB recruits, it’s interesting that none of the top programs and coaches agree with that “strategy.” Lincoln Riley is the coach who's had the most success through the portal at QB, by far. But even after Spencer Rattler was a bust at OU, he’s landed two 5*’s out of HS in Caleb Williams (who followed him to USC) and Malachi Nelson.

Not only is Riley investing heavily on HS QB’s, but his offensive reputation and track record with QB's is the polar opposite of Cristobal's. He has landed whoever he wants at QB and will likely continue to do so whether it be through HS or the portal. With Mario? That doesn't seem to be the case, to say the least.

- Alabama is losing Bryce Young to the NFL. Their QB battle now is between 5* Ty Simpson and top 100 overall recruit Jalen Milroe. They landed a Top 100 overall recruit in Eli Holstein last cycle and 5* Julian Sayin is a verbal commit this year. Surely Nick Saban knows that only 1 QB can play at a time, right?

- Clemson has made us look like a JV high school team whenever we've played them in recent years. Dabo's path to championships was spearheaded by Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. Their most recent 5* QB didn't pan out, so they'll try again with 5* Cade Klubnik. They then signed Top 100 QB Christopher Vizzina in last year's class.

- OSU is losing CJ Stroud to the NFL. Their QB battle this spring/summer is between former Top 50 overall recruit Devin Brown and former 5* recruit Kyle McCord. Unfortunately, they just won the battle against us for Top 100 overall QB recruit Air Noland. Think Ryan Day ever gives a dam that Quinn Ewers transferred?

None of these top programs believe in punting at QB to the point where you're settling for mid-3* projects with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes. And none of these programs have issues landing blue-chip WR talent to play with those QB's like we do. Some really need to look outside of the Miami bubble and realize just how our QB room looks compared to the programs we’re trying to compete against.

And if you’d respond to this by saying we can’t financially compete with those programs for QB’s, then why on earth would you believe we could outspend them to create blue-chip units across the board at WR, OL, DL, and CB?

We didn't ignore the high rated players, we wanted Air AND Judd together. Because Air went elsewhere people are acting like we said, nope we are just going after project types. Categorically false. Since Air went elsewhere they likely go after a more polished high schooler or more likely go portal for someone to compete with Jacurri and Emory. Either way i back Jacurri to be massively improved in 17 months to be the starter. I seen players with weird throwing motion like Tebow light up college football and teams couldnt stop his running, he didnt start early, he was a situational player for their first title.

With the size of the OL thats gonna be infront of him. Its gonna be a sight watching JB run the ball as well as the passing windows that open for him with teams scheming to stop the run.

Wait. You're twisting what was said here and what the data shows. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that this post was pointed towards me as I've been illustrating the issue my posting the data over and over.

You wrote "For all these posts about how it’s foolish or bad business to invest heavily in premier HS QB recruits..."

No one ever said that.

In fact, I've specifically posted that at the very top of the food chain, the 5-star guys are good investments that pan out more often than not. The Athletic article where they re-ranked the 2020 class is a good example. The top three ranked guys, when re-ranked years later, were still in the top 10 (1, 10, and 3 iirc). After that it was pretty much a disaster with a few exceptions.

The vast majority of the guys you mentioned above as examples were the elite, top 2-3 in their class 5-star type guys that I specifically said were the no brainers everyone wants. Lawrence, Watson, Young, Stroud, Sayin, Simpson, Nelson, Ewers, Klubnik, etc.

It's the guys that come after them, the high 4-stars to mid 4-stars, even in the bottom half of the top 100, that get everyone excited where you get in trouble from an ROI perspective, especially since it takes so much NIL to land them. You're paying a fortune for a guy who will statistically most likely not work out at your program, to sit on the bench for you for a year or two.

And Riley? Huh? He's the patron saint for my theory. Let's keep in mind that Riley is literally the case study for taking transfer QB's over non-5* types. Baker Mayfield (2017), Kyler Murray (2018), Jalen Hurts (2019) just to name a few, were all transfer QB's that he was able to identify because of college tape, pull, and win big with (Hesiman's too). Even 5-star Rattler, who he recruited out of HS, transferred out. 5-star Caleb Williams was the #7 overall player in the country. 5-star Malachi Nelson was the #12 overall player in the country. They both fall into the elite category that produces more often than not. So what Riley has done is what the data is advising. Go for an elite 5-star, but if you can't get one of the 2-3 no brainers, bail and go to the portal. Dude is way ahead of everyone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Admittedly, I don’t follow recruiting closely. From your list, I recognize the top 3 and TVD. I don’t recognize any of the others as having played any significant time. Does that lend any credence to the argument that even blue chip QB’s are not a program changer?
Not really b/c the 3 star list is even scarier.

Of course we know DJ, Bryce, & Stroud.
-Pyne was QB2, but came in to lead ND to an 8-2 record. He was more game manager, but now he’s transferred to ASU

-Card was the back up to 5* Ewers. He came in & almost willed Texas to a W against Bama, but went 2-1 as the starting back up w/ 6 TDs & 1 int 247 yrds/g on 70% passing. W/ Baby Manning (5*) coming on board, he transferred to Purdue, so we’ll get to see him as QB1

-Beck was QB2 to Bennett, so now he’ll be competing for QB1 w/ 5* Brock Vandagriff, & 4* Gunner Stockton. He’s currently projected to be the starter, but Vandagriff is supposedly the real deal.

-Sims has had back to back injury filled yrs. He was solid as a TF at GT, individually, but team sucked. We were introduced to Sims up close & personal in 2021 when he put the fear of God in us, narrowly escaping w/ a 3 point victory. With the coaching changes, he’s now transferred to Neb to be w/ Rhule.

-Jack Miller was stuck behind Stroud, then transferred to UF & stuck behind Richardson (who’s on this list). So we’ll see where he lands this camp as a QB.

-Garber was the back up to 4* & #4 rated QB Dylan Morris at UDub. He then was the back up to Morris & Penix so he’s now transferred to UCLA.

-Prater was the back up to Ridder, then Bryant. Fickell is a bit old school w/ a “wait ur turn” mentality. Prater will be QB1 in the 2023 season so he’s TBD.

-Criswell was behind 4* Sam Howell & now 4* Drake Maye. He recently transferred to Arkansas to back up KJ Jefferson who has one more yr vs. Maye who has at least 2 more yrs.

The commonality I found with these QBs were there we’re DEFINITELY some straight up bust, but many were in QB1 battles w/ an already loaded room, so we haven’t seen them on the field, & if we have, it’s been mop up duty. There were 100+ 3 star QBs on the list & I wasn’t familiar w/ anyone of except Baylor’s & Tulane’s QBs.

Great teams load up a QB room…that’s UGA, Bama, Clemson, OSU. Let the chips fall where they may at that point.

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this. Does anyone know if we have any chance with Judd's teammate WR, Zion Ragins. Top 100 player? 247 has him going to UGA which is probably correct. He actually visited the first elite prospect day.

We didn't ignore the high rated players, we wanted Air AND Judd together. Because Air went elsewhere people are acting like we said, nope we are just going after project types. Categorically false.

Nowhere in the post to which you’re responding or any of my other posts have I claimed the staff is ignoring high-rated players. I was responding to the posters on this board who’ve been claiming that spending big on premier HS QB recruits is an ill-advised allocation of resources.

Saban, Day, Riley, Dabo, Smart, and every other top coach would laugh that nonsensical argument out of the room as evidenced by how they all recruit QB’s. That’s where the discussion should end, but unsurprisingly they keep digging their heels in further.

Mario has tried with Rashada last year and Noland this year, so even the posters making these arguments are only doing so because we’re losing these battles and because we apparently have no traction currently with any other premier QB besides Noland. The staff is clearly trying.

Advertisement
Back