Omier enters name into NBA draft

... The only thing that I can see keeping him from coming back will be $$$. If he ain't getting it here, he's going to go get it somewhere else.
Why wouldn't he be getting it here? They (we) think the world of him, and if you read all the assertive posts here and on the football board about our NIL situational $trength, you will realize this "AIN'T" idea is non-starter. (But I understand your well-placed confusion.)

Advertisement
Tell me you don’t know anything without telling me. Omier is a big piece of the puzzle and even if he left, which is extremely unlikely, this team has enough pieces to be good. It wouldn’t be as strong in the front Kurt, but with what Miami has in the backcourt, there’s enough to at least be a solid bubble team if not better. Omier is **** good, but he isn’t the second coming of Dennis Rodman.
This team barely had enough pieces to cover Omier's absences this past season. With Miller, Wong and Walker officially gone, what makes you think we have a roster with "enough pieces to be good"? Listen, I think Omier announces he's coming back sometime next month, so everything expressed here could very well be all for naught. But to say we'll be good without him is misleading. Good to me, means top half of the ACC and in the tournament. Last 2 years have raised the bar around these parts. For the foreseeable future, I think anything less than an appearance in the big dance is underachieving. GO CANES!!!

Why wouldn't he be getting it here? They (we) think the world of him, and if you read all the assertive posts here and on the football board about our NIL situational $trength, you will realize this "AIN'T" idea is non-starter. (But I understand your well-placed confusion.)
Been doing some traveling over the past few weeks, so haven't been paying close attention to the NIL talk. Just saying that money is pretty much the only thing that could keep him from coming back. He absolutely loves it here. Loves playing for Coach L. Loves living in Miami. He has family in the area and the rest of his family is a direct flight away.

He can't make NIL money because of his visa status.... that doesn't mean someone can't deposit a check in his Nicaraguan bank account.

No reason to panic, most likely just looking for feedback and evaluations. Wong did it twice.

Predicable panic has set in…with a predictable thread…if anyone is reading the board, that doesn’t visit much… this thread is a fairly accurate view of how posters usually post here, including:

The Coach L hater…

The Always Worried About NIL guy…

The He’s Irreplaceable, oh no takes

The He’s Not Really that Good Anyway, won’t play in the pros, but we really need him so I’m going to dog him because this hurts my feelings takes…

Definitive opinions stated as fact mixed with fear and worry and the usual “I clearly know way more than you peon, CIS attitude”.

Magnificent. Good luck Norchad, and thanks for the thread!

Advertisement
This team barely had enough pieces to cover Omier's absences this past season. With Miller, Wong and Walker officially gone, what makes you think we have a roster with "enough pieces to be good"? Listen, I think Omier announces he's coming back sometime next month, so everything expressed here could very well be all for naught. But to say we'll be good without him is misleading. Good to me, means top half of the ACC and in the tournament. Last 2 years have raised the bar around these parts. For the foreseeable future, I think anything less than an appearance in the big dance is underachieving. GO CANES!!!
Agree. No way we'll be good this coming season without Omier on the roster. Just as with last season, Omier is the one player we have who can't be replaced in terms of what he brings to the table.

Predicable panic has set in…with a predictable thread…if anyone is reading the board, that doesn’t visit much… this thread is a fairly accurate view of how posters usually post here, including:

The Coach L hater…

The Always Worried About NIL guy…

The He’s Irreplaceable, oh no takes

The He’s Not Really that Good Anyway, won’t play in the pros, but we really need him so I’m going to dog him because this hurts my feelings takes…

Definitive opinions stated as fact mixed with fear and worry and the usual “I clearly know way more than you peon, CIS attitude”.

Magnificent. Good luck Norchad, and thanks for the thread!
Agree on all points but don’t forget that there are many of us who respect Omier’s desire to learn what the NBA thinks of him and to learn what he needs to do to be drafted. Most know that he is likely to return but that this is the process whereby a player can receive an evaluation from the NBA. Same thing Wong did last year. It is good for Omier and frankly good for UM basketball because depending on what he hears, he should be very motivated to return and improve those aspects of his game.

Of course we can probably help him out on CIS. Work on ball handling and a face-up mid range jump shot. Sprinkle in 1-2 3 points shots per game.

Agree on all points but don’t forget that there are many of us who respect Omier’s desire to learn what the NBA thinks of him and to learn what he needs to do to be drafted. Most know that he is likely to return but that this is the process whereby a player can receive an evaluation from the NBA. Same thing Wong did last year. It is good for Omier and frankly good for UM basketball because depending on what he hears, he should be very motivated to return and improve those aspects of his game.

Of course we can probably help him out on CIS. Work on ball handling and a face-up mid range jump shot. Sprinkle in 1-2 3 points shots per game.
I'm not in the camp that says Omier should be taking 3's. I think he'd be more valuable and effective if he could develop a solid face up mid range jumper.

Agreed. I’d love to know more about the in-depth process they go through, but even without knowing that, it seems like a smart move for him.

In the world of tweets and headlines, the shock and awe of it plays better than the, well this makes sound, rationale sense for Norchad to grow as a player and navigate his future.

Advertisement
I'm not in the camp that says Omier should be taking 3's. I think he'd be more valuable and effective if he could develop a solid face up mid range jumper.
I don’t care about the 3 point shots either for Omier but you know the NBA will mention that. That was more about what I expect the NBA will tell him. I think a mid-range game is the most misunderstood and underrated aspect of modern basketball. Joel Embiid is going to win an MVP because he dominates games from the free throw line. while taking 2-3 3 point shots per game but that is all the media understands because of highlights.
Demar Derozan
Jimmy Butler
Great scorers who l kill teams in the mid range. Even Durant is a great mid range player.

He can't make NIL money because of his visa status.... that doesn't mean someone can't deposit a check in his Nicaraguan bank account.
Perhaps you are joking, but... not clear to me that the new NIL rules (especially fluid in the wild west days) prohibit the collective or whomever from signing up someone with the compensation being anything legal, incl. money to family in another country? Would that be allowed under his visa?

The Coach L hater…
and of course the very predictable "lets not really address the topic but bash and ridicule the posters whose opinion I disagree with cause i like to be an ***"

and of course the very predictable "lets not really address the topic but bash and ridicule the posters whose opinion I disagree with cause i like to be an ***"
What is the topic that needs to be addressed?

Advertisement
What is the topic that needs to be addressed?
I thought it was Omier's fortunes, and Canes fortunes without him, if that happened, and maybe if visa is an issue for him and NIL
(and much of this was ably commented on above; just getting my dig in at the guy(s) who think discussing that, even if pessimistically, is a huge affront they need to make ridicule, personal attacks, etc, (which happens way too often in my opinion))

Last edited:
He will start workouts on May 2, IMO he'll have some teams marvel at his athleticism but will tell him the things he needs to work on during another year at Miami before he's draftable.

I thought it was Omier's fortunes, and Canes fortunes without him, if that happened, and maybe if visa is an issue for him and NIL
(and much of this was ably commented on above; just getting my dig in at the guy(s) who think discussing that, even if pessimistically, is a huge affront they need to make ridicule, personal attacks, etc, (which happens way too often in my opinion))
Understood. What is the issue with Omier? Do you think he’s going somewhere?

Advertisement
Understood. What is the issue with Omier? Do you think he’s going somewhere?
I hope not. I'm trying to understand it and see what others think. I'm glad most think it wont happen. I assumed (maybe) he was getting big NIL and then it dropped (for whatever reason) so hes seeking greener pastures somehow, even G-league. his announcement seemed kinda "see-ya". hope im wrong.

I hope not. I'm trying to understand it and see what others think. I'm glad most think it wont happen. I assumed (maybe) he was getting big NIL and then it dropped (for whatever reason) so hes seeking greener pastures somehow, even G-league. his announcement seemed kinda "see-ya". hope im wrong.
I see. I don’t follow your line of thinking, but that’s fine. I don’t know what his announcement would have to do with NIL, people did exactly what he’s doing before NIL and no surprise are doing it after. It’s very helpful to get that feedback from the league so that you can improve your game the following season.

Perhaps you are joking, but... not clear to me that the new NIL rules (especially fluid in the wild west days) prohibit the collective or whomever from signing up someone with the compensation being anything legal, incl. money to family in another country? Would that be allowed under his visa?

You can give money to anyone you want as long as their government doesn't have a problem with it. As long as Omier doesn't bring it into the US directly, the NCAA can do nothing...
No one is saying to designate to directly to Omeir.. it can be given to his dad.

NGOs and mission agencies do it all the time supporting local workers

My man. Your a good dood. I recommend introducing some mindfulness and meditation in your life. You carry way too much stress - especially about something that you have no control over and something that should be a source of joy and entertainment.

Advertisement
Back