Oline

Gattis, Mirabal & CMC will install real run blocking schemes that will create holes for our RB to explode through. All they need is a solid crease to rip off long runs. The other big thing is getting back to the point where we can bulldoze for 2-3 yards when it's needed to move the chains. We've had the RBs to do that but the run blocking for that has been deficient for far too long. Mario will get us back to being able to grind out those tough yards when we need them (which is critically important).

Lashlee was very solid in the passing game but run schemes were pretty terrible (basically our guy had to out-athlete the guys on their D). We'll get real run blocking schemes now which should make our RBs feast. Also, let's not forget all those wonderful runs up the middle time after time for no gain (which everyone knew were coming because there was so much of that on tape -- just mind-boggling).

Really hope that Chaney will be healthy & and at full speed.

I think Feld should make Thad one of his pet projects. If Thad comes into the season in amazing shape, he will open some eyes. I have a feeling he could be truly special if he commits to his craft and works his butt off during the offseason. Would be awesome to see.

Given the importance Gattis places on the TE (and for the benefit of our run game), also hope that Will Mallory gets significantly stronger & develops a mean streak when blocking. Not only would it help our run game materially (and protect TVD better), it would also dramatically enhance Will's draft stock if he can get some solid film out there of him blocking well.

When Gattis gets the run game going, it's going to open things up even more TVD to do his thing. With our stable of RBs, if Mario significantly strengthens the OL with stud Portal additions then we should absolutely shred average teams on offense.

Advertisement
Scheme has a lot to with unit performance. CMC's commitment to controlling the line LOS ( and IMO is where the game is won) will allow our bigs to succeed or we will have some attrition to correct any issues along with elite crootin up front.
It’s about time we control the Line Line Of Scrimmage (LOS).

Advertisement
I think we have too many short OL for one, and also not very athletic. You have to move in the run game and we were consistently beaten to the spot.

Advertisement
Only one team from the ACC, B1G, Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC averaged that much last season.

Arkansas at 227.8
Facts.

UGA averaged 190.9 yards per game, the only P5 team that averaged 225+ was Arkansas in Briles system.

Averaging 225 yards rushing a game is Air Force, Navy, Army, Coastal Carolina type territory, you would literally have to run the ball upwards of 600 times in a season as a non-military school.

Michigan ran it 575 times last year & averaged 214 per game, Oregon ran it 536 times & averaged 202.4 ypc, both teams have significantly better OL’s than us & were designed to be run heavy.

Miami averaged 127 yards per game rushing last year, so obviously there’s going to be a concerted effort to get us way up from that & we definitely are going to run the ball a **** of a whole lot more, but going from 127 to 220+ in one season is a lofty expectation to say the least lol

So do you guys think our oline is just that bad at run blocking
We basically might as well just take a knee
Anyways do you guys think they are really that bad or just coached poorly in a bad scheme
Lashlee passing was on point but his running game was laughable
I bring up this question bc
I’m not gonna lie
Before 17 and manny and kul got there I used to think our defensive line was straight garbage and then manny comes in changes the scheme and Kul coaches them up and it’s night and day different
So u guys think the oline could change like that our are they just hopeless run blocking ?
They suck

We need a portal Tackle badly.

I want someone to come in to start and anchor.

Real talk....wanna see how Campbell comes back..and hopefully he can grab an INTERIOR spot. I honestly think Scaife needs to be pushed out and into a swing spot. Dont think he should be a full time starter unless we see a lot of improvement. I still think his best spot is at RT.
Do you think Ryan Rodriguez is being overlooked for snaps under the new HC and Oline coach with their reputation for developing offensive lineman?

Advertisement
Do you think Ryan Rodriguez is being overlooked for snaps under the new HC and Oline coach with their reputation for developing offensive lineman?
I like him as a recruit. I think he needs to add some functional strength and continue to add weight...I have him as a possible 2 yr starter.

I liked picking up him and Big Baby Seymore as interior prospects

Facts.

UGA averaged 190.9 yards per game, the only P5 team that averaged 225+ was Arkansas in Briles system.

Averaging 225 yards rushing a game is Air Force, Navy, Army, Coastal Carolina type territory, you would literally have to run the ball upwards of 600 times in a season as a non-military school.

Michigan ran it 575 times last year & averaged 214 per game, Oregon ran it 536 times & averaged 202.4 ypc, both teams have significantly better OL’s than us & were designed to be run heavy.

Miami averaged 127 yards per game rushing last year, so obviously there’s going to be a concerted effort to get us way up from that & we definitely are going to run the ball a **** of a whole lot more, but going from 127 to 220+ in one season is a lofty expectation to say the least lol
I think Ole Miss ran it for 200+ yards a game. I think with the coaching change, it’s reasonable to expect Miami to rush for 200+ yards a game. That’s a big jump and I understand that, but Miami has an above average coaching staff now and I think K Smith will get the very best out of his RB room. Same with Alex, I think he’s going to fix Miami’s run blocking issues.

This has been a career underperforming OL (that crap they tried to sell the fan base last season as it being one of the most experienced ).

It will be better in 2022 because of coaching, expectations and accountability. Still don't expect miracles, it is going to take some time and new faces/portal. Lets face it, it won't take much to look better in the run game, because they've been so godawful for so long. Coaching will be much better - three years with some of those guys last year and that staff was still last-minute-shuffling them to find a miracle plug-in:

MiamiBusiness said: "That would let the coaches play Campbell and Scaife at OT and/or OG (wherever coaches think they fit best)."

God help us if we're still trying to find these guys what position they can play this far into their college careers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like him as a recruit. I think he needs to add some functional strength and continue to add weight...I have him as a possible 2 yr starter.

I liked picking up him and Big Baby Seymore as interior prospects
I like your assessment of him and I forgot about Big Baby Seymore. He was a nasty mauler in high school. I think Miami needs maulers at both starting guard positions and at center. Fix that and the run blocking improves drastically.

If we average less than 180. I would be surpised. Especially since teams will have to try to scheme for TVD as well and all the weapons we have on O.

LT - Nelson (no worries here whatsoever)
LG - Rivers (injury is the only worry)
C - Clark (no clue worries here whatsoever)
RG - Scaife (some worries but expecting development)
RT - tremendous worries (could see Conerly starting here honestly if he chooses UM or Campbell if he doesn’t transfer after spring)

Unit has the chance to be solid unit but any injuries and we are ****ed

LT- Nelson-solid blind side pass blocker getting better every year
LG-Sagopulo-very strong run blocker
C-Clark- just needed to get stronger but very smart
RG-Cooper- freshman but very strong and athletic and great footwork for his size
RT-Rivers-best o-lineman from last year at guard but size and great footwork makes him a tackle this year
I like but I'd like to see how Seymore has progressed. I do believe Cooper can beat out any of these guys if he can pickup thing fast.

Advertisement
Back