Oline

Lol. This line needs a lot of help. We recruited a team full of centers and we wonder why we don’t have anyone who can play tackle. If anyone thing that all of the sudden they’re just going to start pushing people around because there’s a different coach, they’re in for a serious let down. Expect gradual improvement on the line. If we can break 150 ypg on the ground we’ll be solid.

Advertisement
As much as Lashlee got TVD in the 2nd half of the year playing great I was completely disappointed in his approach and playcalling with the running game

Mirabal, Mario and Gattis will get us to be above average. If we don’t avg 225+ a game rushing I’ll be shocked
You realize that over 225 yards per game on the ground would be an absolutely elite rushing offense right? Like, the only teams rushing for more are triple option teams.

Lol. This line needs a lot of help. We recruited a team full of centers and we wonder why we don’t have anyone who can play tackle. If anyone thing that all of the sudden they’re just going to start pushing people around because there’s a different coach, they’re in for a serious let down. Expect gradual improvement on the line. If we can break 150 ypg on the ground we’ll be solid.

I'm with you if the roster doesn't change. But we did just get two portal kids. And a couple more could make a difference.

Lot of variables to be considered on OL. Will portal players help? Will new coaching help? Will new attitudes help? Will new conditioning help? Will new offensive schemes help? All remains to be seen. Just hope for better is my thoughts.

We will struggle in short yardage but TVD is going to back corners and safeties off more on nonobvious run downs. This will help us break a couple big ones and get a few more yard now and again.

Mario’s biggest issue IMO is he failed to recognize the historical Oregon offense was very physical in the run game. They used a bunch of power pulling concepts to manhandle people. Check the tapes from Belloti, Kelly, and Helfrich.

With Moorhead, Mario used plays more simmilar to the running attack of Kelly: more return to inside zones out of shotgun and veer concepts. Prior to Moorhead he’d run dives to the A gap similar to what we saw from Penos and they’d get blown up because that only works when you have NFL players in the interior OL.

If we perfect the inside zone and some basic RPOs we will be OK

Advertisement
Why hasn't anyone brought up this unit below?

Dude looked like a 325 running back while playing as an extra tight end last season. It seems like he would be be a fit for a power or zone scheme.

View attachment 177580
View attachment 177582
We don't need this guy wasting time in an overcrowded and extremely talented TE group. Turn him into another Eric Winston (!?)

As much as Lashlee got TVD in the 2nd half of the year playing great I was completely disappointed in his approach and playcalling with the running game

Mirabal, Mario and Gattis will get us to be above average. If we don’t avg 225+ a game rushing I’ll be shocked

You're out of your **** mind. You must be expecting Mario to perform a miracle In one year, have you not seen these guys this past season?

Advertisement
I like the left side with Zion and a healthy Rivers
Jakai finished the season well at center
RG will probably be the kid from oregon
RT is campbell or portal guy

Either way I hope to see better technique, communication and more reps on stunts and twists in practice cause lord knows a simple TE stunt was like geometry for us lol
Communication would be nice. It always looked like no one knew what the guy next to him was doing.

are we all forgetting Issiah Walker is on the team or is he being overlooked because he wont get burn? I can't believe Scaife is still being taken seriously as an option. guy has proven time and time again that he isn't started caliber (which at UM is tough to do)

Advertisement
Gattis, Mirabal & CMC will install real run blocking schemes that will create holes for our RB to explode through. All they need is a solid crease to rip off long runs. The other big thing is getting back to the point where we can bulldoze for 2-3 yards when it's needed to move the chains. We've had the RBs to do that but the run blocking for that has been deficient for far too long. Mario will get us back to being able to grind out those tough yards when we need them (which is critically important).

Lashlee was very solid in the passing game but run schemes were pretty terrible (basically our guy had to out-athlete the guys on their D). We'll get real run blocking schemes now which should make our RBs feast. Also, let's not forget all those wonderful runs up the middle time after time for no gain (which everyone knew were coming because there was so much of that on tape -- just mind-boggling).

Really hope that Chaney will be healthy & and at full speed.

I think Feld should make Thad one of his pet projects. If Thad comes into the season in amazing shape, he will open some eyes. I have a feeling he could be truly special if he commits to his craft and works his butt off during the offseason. Would be awesome to see.

Given the importance Gattis places on the TE (and for the benefit of our run game), also hope that Will Mallory gets significantly stronger & develops a mean streak when blocking. Not only would it help our run game materially (and protect TVD better), it would also dramatically enhance Will's draft stock if he can get some solid film out there of him blocking well.

When Gattis gets the run game going, it's going to open things up even more TVD to do his thing. With our stable of RBs, if Mario significantly strengthens the OL with stud Portal additions then we should absolutely shred average teams on offense.
What is this run scheme that you speak of?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back