Oline stat....

Stats are for losers.

Doesn’t take a genius to see our OL was hot trash. Buuuuutt but we were good on and 1st n 2nd down.

OL was bad and needs to improve drastically.

Advertisement
They weren’t 33 points better than Miami we just sh*tted the bed, ncstate was in a close game with them so was Louisville, Syracuse beat them. We shouldn’t have lost that bad period because it’s not THAT big of gap talent wise
Yes, they were the bether team, period. The Clemson D line flat out kicked our ***. If we played them 10 times last year we may be closer, but we win none. The Miami Oline was the weakness, and their D line was best in the nation. Bad news for the ACC is it may be better this year. Now, give us a better line and a better QB, we could beat them. I like your optimism but the I can't lie about what I saw just cause I'm a Miami fan.

O
Yes, they were the bether team, period. The Clemson D line flat out kicked our ***. If we played them 10 times last year we may be closer, but we win none. The Miami Oline was the weakness, and their D line was best in the nation. Bad news for the ACC is it may be better this year. Now, give us a better line and a better QB, we could beat them. I like your optimism but the I can't lie about what I saw just cause I'm a Miami fan.
No one is saying clemson wasn’t the better team. They were better for sure but we shouldn’t lost by that much to them period. Other teams with less talent put up a better fight than that...

Whatever the reason is we fail on third down to me which is a personel issue which is starting to get fixed with the influx of talent.
But the oline is generally good on the first 2 downs. Can’t understand why they are so terrible on 3rd down other than them not having the want to or man I just Don’t know

Our oline is not all bad but on 3rd down we definitely need improvements

I'm not going to read the whole thread to check, but hasn't anyone mentioned that we run poorly on 3rd and short because we can't impose our will? This like hasn't been able to line up on an obvious running down and do what it wants, they've only been successful when the D doesn't know what to expect. We suck at short yardage situations on the ground because our line hasn't been able to get any push on other teams. Not even the sucky ones.

You're normally a little over the top for my taste, but year three is pretty much where I draw the line on a position coach. Give him a few years to get guys to fit his coaching style, but by that 3rd year, I am expecting significant improvement. Especially with the TE and FB help we're adding.

It's pretty clear that to contend, you need a top 40 run game, and we all know the run game starts up front. We have the horses. We have depth. We need the road graders to grade the **** road.

Can’t believe I had to read 4 pages before someone mentioned the Fullback.

Richt’s good offenses usually had a FB, and the FB’s biggest down is 3rd Down. It’ll open up his playbook a little.

I think by the end of the season Uncle Realus is going to have a huge impact on the 3rd Down struggles.

Advertisement
I'm not going to read the whole thread to check, but hasn't anyone mentioned that we run poorly on 3rd and short because we can't impose our will? This like hasn't been able to line up on an obvious running down and do what it wants, they've only been successful when the D doesn't know what to expect. We suck at short yardage situations on the ground because our line hasn't been able to get any push on other teams. Not even the sucky ones.
All about mental toughness, can’t let someone Outcompete you consistently and not get the job down on such a pivotal situation on offense. That has a lot to do with personnel. It should be better this year

Whether it's coaching or simply a lack of road graders, there is just no quality run blocking happening consistently going back over a decade. Combined with passing completion %< 50% and we are stuck as a team constantly outside the playoffs looking in losing a few games a year to teams we have no business losing to. The infusion of elite weapons and speed will mean nothing if the two above shortcomings don't improve dramatically. Which everybody here is already well aware of. I pray fall camp will reveal the improvements we desperately want to see. If not, I don't even want to think about it.

Whether it's coaching or simply a lack of road graders, there is just no quality run blocking happening consistently going back over a decade. Combined with passing completion %< 50% and we are stuck as a team constantly outside the playoffs looking in losing a few games a year to teams we have no business losing to. The infusion of elite weapons and speed will mean nothing if the two above shortcomings don't improve dramatically. Which everybody here is already well aware of. I pray fall camp will reveal the improvements we desperately want to see. If not, I don't even want to think about it.

Coach Searels gets it, whether he can translate his understanding in a way players can get it is yet to be seen. The o-line is a unit. It's 5 guys working as a single, cohesive entity, like a Phalanx. One weak link, one substandard performer, and the unit becomes substandard. For years we've had o-lines featuring one or two studs and one or two doormats. Year three, everyone on that line is either a person Searels recruited, or a holdover who's proven himself to be better than what Searels has been able to recruit and develop. This year is make or break for Searels.

Coach Searels gets it, whether he can translate his understanding in a way players can get it is yet to be seen. The o-line is a unit. It's 5 guys working as a single, cohesive entity, like a Phalanx. One weak link, one substandard performer, and the unit becomes substandard. For years we've had o-lines featuring one or two studs and one or two doormats. Year three, everyone on that line is either a person Searels recruited, or a holdover who's proven himself to be better than what Searels has been able to recruit and develop. This year is make or break for Searels.

I agree and you are absolutely right. I played center in my short playing days and sadly I was probably the doormat making our line substandard LOL. But I have to think at this point in yr 3 with the upgrades in recruiting we've brought in, surely Searles can put together a much improved performing unit. What I would give to have one of those lines from 99 to 03

Advertisement
I agree and you are absolutely right. I played center in my short playing days and sadly I was probably the doormat making our line substandard LOL. But I have to think at this point in yr 3 with the upgrades in recruiting we've brought in, surely Searles can put together a much improved performing unit. What I would give to have one of those lines from 99 to 03

I don't think we're there yet, so I'm not expecting dominant. But I am demanding competitive. Last season there was only one or two games where we really ran the ball well and with consistency. In other games we averaged about two yards per carry for the most part, but could occasionally break big runs that inflated the stat sheets. In those games i.e. VaTech and Toledo, we simply looked better than we actually were. In the games where we never could break something open, Pitt and UNC among others, our run game was pedestrian.

1) It's not that we had big runs that inflated our stats, it's that we had terrible games that brought down our stats.

Here's our Top 4 rushing games vs. P5 Teams (all at Home)

ND - 237
VT - 210
GT - 184
Wisc - 174

The run game showed out against 3 of our 4 toughest opponents.

The one tough opponent it didn't was Clemson when we ran for 104 yards. But we ran for 59 vs. UNC, and 45 vs. Pitt. That's 104 combined. Running for as much yards combined vs. super weak UNC & Pitt teams is really what's bringing the overall stats down.

All those games were on the road. The Offense as a whole has to get better on the road, and the coaches need to do a better job of making sure that happens.

2) Realus George isn't going to move the needle, but the quality & size of RB will

I like George as a player, but I've seen this before. Patrick Hill, Mike James, Marquez Williams - we've had talented FB's here before. They helped, but I don't think any had a "major" impact as upperclassmen. So think it's a stretch to think George will have a major impact as a true freshman.

Recently our main RB's have been too small for 3rd & Short - Duke, Yearby, Walton. We'll have bigger RB's this year with Homer/Dallas/Lingard and that will be the big difference.

The OL is not bad as people think but it's not championship caliber yet.

The group's biggest weakness last year was moving people. We also lacked fullbacks and tight ends on the roster, which limited our ability to play power. This should improve with recruiting.

But people act like we had one of the worst OLs in Power 5. That's wrong. They were competent enough for the offense to function. If you believe the consensus, Rosier was a Group of 5 QB, the OL was garbage and Richt is past his prime calling plays. If they were really that bad, how did they combine for 10 wins, 3,000 passing yards and 31 TDs?

The group's biggest weakness last year was moving people. We also lacked fullbacks and tight ends on the roster, which limited our ability to play power. This should improve with recruiting.

But people act like we had one of the worst OLs in Power 5. That's wrong. They were competent enough for the offense to function. If you believe the consensus, Rosier was a Group of 5 QB, the OL was garbage and Richt is past his prime calling plays. If they were really that bad, how did they combine for 10 wins, 3,000 passing yards and 31 TDs?
32...don't forget the TD reception

Advertisement

While I agree with you D Money, O line needs to be above average to match the fan base's & Coaches expectations.We had a very average O line that was below average in the run game, particularly short yardage. This is Searels' year to prove that he is a quality coach...no excuses this year that he doesn't have his guys in place and needs more time to coach them up. He has been here 2 seasons already and rolling into his 3rd. That should be plenty time to see young recruits come to fruition when it comes to the strength room, technique, and overall play. If he recruited quality players and well overall, we should see a dramatic jump in performance this season.

Exactly, keep dropping them facts man

Advertisement
BFE3EFD3-23A9-4C90-86D7-85254428CF21.jpeg

We’ve been so bad on 3rd downs for so long that it doesn’t make since. Whatever we do we better improve this year on it.
I know you and I disagree slightly on this, but I think this year you’re going to see the difference between a team that goes
No gain
20 yarder
1 yard
No gain

And a team that goes
3 yards
4 yards
20 yard
4 yards

I swear to you, those runs for minimal gain are drive killers. 2nd 6 has so many more plays available than 2nd and 10.

Yards per carry can be misleading. You can have 9 straight runs for no gain and then one 50 yarder and all of the sudden you're averaging 5 yards per carry.
It would be better if instead of just listing the mean in YPC the box also provided the median and the mode. This would provide much more insight into the effectiveness and efficiency of the run game. Just a thought.

Advertisement
Back