Oline stat....

Advertisement
3.6 yards before contact trailing only 2 teams before contact
That's actually pretty **** terrible in the context of our games. If our back wasn't contacted at the line, we usually ran for 15+. The problem is that we had so many runs for minimal or no gain. We've been through this time and again. Take away runs of over 15 yards and we are a 2 ypc team.

That will be better this season. It ain't all on the Oline either. Personnel had much to do with it. Not just not having quality o-line guys. We didn't have a FB on scholarship, our TE depth was terrible, and we entered the season with a major question mark behind Walton at RB.

I remember how we all sat around this time last season chewing our nails to the nubs at the idea that Walton might not be 100%. I think all of that together led to a reluctance, not just an complete inability, to lean on the run game.

3.6 yards before contact trailing only 2 teams before contact
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how do you get a stat that good with a crap O-line? Seems to me the line must be doing something right.

Yards per carry can be misleading. You can have 9 straight runs for no gain and then one 50 yarder and all of the sudden you're averaging 5 yards per carry.

Advertisement
Absolutely. We go from 79th to 115th in rushing without Malik's production. A guy like Kaaya who took a lot of negative yards on sacks...we'd have been dead last. Averaging 5 yards on 3rd down means not a **** thing when your average 3rd down distance is 7 yards.

well if you take away anyone's running quarterback stats they will fall in the rankings also

well if you take away anyone's running quarterback stats they will fall in the rankings also
My point was that in the past three seasons we've ranked 101st, 118th, and 79th. Anyone who thinks our improvement running the ball was do to improvements along the line, and not completely due to Rosier's contribution is just fooling, themselves. Our run blocking last season was just as bad as in previous years, although for different reasons, IMO.

Yards per carry can be misleading. You can have 9 straight runs for no gain and then one 50 yarder and all of the sudden you're averaging 5 yards per carry.
Perfect example is our game against VaTech
34 rushes for 210 yards, but take away just 3 runs and we ran the ball 31 times for 94 yards.

Advertisement
34 rushes for 210 yards, but take away just 3 runs and we ran the ball 31 times for 94 yards.

Correct but in fairness that's generally how most games are. Especially in match ups between comparatively balanced teams. You'll never see a team just get 5 yards every time they run except maybe against some FCS or very weak FBS team. If you were guaranteed four yards every time you ran the ball, you'd never have to worry about passing.

We were unable to run the ball at time last season, you can blame some on Rosier, but I put more on the O-line, they were weak.

Clemson - 30 carries - 104 yards
Pitt - 23 for 45
UNC - 32 for 59
FSU - 29 for 83

not good, I don't care if Stevie Wonder is your QB, those #s are awful

Correct but in fairness that's generally how most games are. Especially in match ups between comparatively balanced teams. You'll never see a team just get 5 yards every time they run except maybe against some FCS or very weak FBS team. If you were guaranteed four yards every time you ran the ball, you'd never have to worry about passing.
Correct, but we're on the extreme of that spectrum, IMO, to the point where we cannot count on our running game in known running situations, EVER.

Anybody that thinks CMR wouldn't rather call an inside zone on 1st and 10 rather than have Rosier run an RPO bubble, or that he enjoy's breaking huddle on 2nd and goal on the one inch line in shotgun 3 wide, just doesn't understand how strapped we actually were last season due to personnel shortages.

Advertisement
You can’t take away 3 runs, they happened. Give credit for the line blocking good on those plays too. Obviously they are doing something right. One of the objects of run blocking is to bust long runs not get bottled up and only get 4 yards per rush or whatever

We were unable to run the ball at time last season, you can blame some on Rosier, but I put more on the O-line, they were weak.

Clemson - 30 carries - 104 yards
Pitt - 23 for 45
UNC - 32 for 59
FSU - 29 for 83

not good, I don't care if Stevie Wonder is your QB, those #s are awful
Those were all the games Miami was bad running the ball as I’ve said now List the stats we had vs other elite rushing defense teams like Wisconsin, va tech and Notre Dame

Those were all the games Miami was bad running the ball as I’ve said now List the stats we had vs other elite rushing defense teams like Wisconsin, va tech and Notre Dame

So explain how you rush 23 times for 45 yards in a LOSS with a decent o-line? 1.9 yards per carry, Pitt was ranked 62nd against the run

32 for 59?? 1.8 ypc, UNC was ranked 91st vs the run

29 for 83?? 2.8 ypc, FSU was ranked 39th vs the run

30 for 104 in a BLOWOUT LOSS?? 3.4 ypc

No O-line that is good runs for those kind of #s with a mobile QB to boot.

LMAO @ ND being an "elite" Run D, may wanna check on that

Last edited:
Advertisement
The O-line has been mediocre from an overall statistical perspective and every other perspective besides the one of a complete homer. I am not even sure why this is actually a debate. Pretty simple, the O-line needs to make a drastic improvement or we can all just stop dreaming of getting a sixth ring unless the second coming of Aaron Rodgers is the QB.

FINAL AP RANK | TEAM | RUSHING YPG RANK
-------------------------------------------------------------
1 ALABAMA 10
2 UGA 9
3 OKLAHOMA 26
4 CLEMSON 34
5 OH ST. 15
6 UCF 29
7 WISCONSIN 22
8 PENN ST 54
9 TCU 57
10 AUBURN 21
11 NOTRE DAME 8
12 USC 39
13 MIAMI 79
14 OK. ST. 42
15 MICH. ST 59

We were a full 20 ranks behind the 2nd worst rushing team in the top 15 and several of those other teams' opponents tried and failed to stop the run and force the QB to throw.

148.5 YPG and that's WITH Rosier's 36 RYPG. Without factoring that in we were 115th.

quick question, have you looked at these other teams to see what they would average without the qb's running? For instance, Alabama Had Hurts run 154 times for 855 yards...and Tua rush 27 times for 133 yards...if you take that out it's nearly 1/3rd of Alabama's rush offense. I'm not discounting that we need to improve...I'm just saying there are other factors.

quick question, have you looked at these other teams to see what they would average without the qb's running? For instance, Alabama Had Hurts run 154 times for 855 yards...and Tua rush 27 times for 133 yards...if you take that out it's nearly 1/3rd of Alabama's rush offense. I'm not discounting that we need to improve...I'm just saying there are other factors.
sure, lets see what Fromm ran for, or Mason Rudolph, or Darnold or Stidham at Auburn, or the Wisky QB, or the Penn St QB...…

Advertisement
Back