Lane Kiffin: 1
Manny Diaz: 1

Total number of state of Mississippi class of 2022 top 20 HS commits:

Lane Kiffin: 3
Mike Leach: 8

Current recruiting rankings for 2022:

Ole Miss: 41
Miss St.: 25

And I assure you, Mike Leach is not known as a relentless recruiter.
This is important because everyone wants to bring up the location as being the factor at work

Advertisement
I’m tryna tell ppl..Lane, too me always striked as a weirdo..stuck up type ****..I don’t know the dude obviously lol. This year 2 at Ole ****..they been solid. But this class they have..and he has a support from Mississippi..if you know anything about that state, he has a support apparatus that would lend me to believe he should be recruiting much better..Hugh freeze was bringing in elite talent from that state. By hook or crook. So it could be done.

Lane is a strong no for me as the HC we need..I’d take him as a OC. But we know that’s not happening

You can have all the support in the world, but let's think about what that support is behind.

Ole Miss is what, the perceived 8th or below best SEC football team historically? Do you expect them to beat out the teams ahead of them for recruits? No, you don't.

You aren't supposed to and won't get a lot of top talent there unless you're paying. Even then, it's still a tough sell.

There are good recruiters, but the biggest recruiting tool in the game is perception. Ole Miss just doesn't have the juice in the SEC, let alone nationally.

You can have all the support in the world, but let's think about what that support is behind.

Ole Miss is what, the perceived 8th or below best SEC football team historically? Do you expect them to beat out the teams ahead of them for recruits? No, you don't.

You aren't supposed to and won't get a lot of top talent there unless you're paying. Even then, it's still a tough sell.

There are good recruiters, but the biggest recruiting tool in the game is perception. Ole Miss just doesn't have the juice in the SEC, let alone nationally.
Yes. And don’t try to be misleading..Ole miss IS NOT PERCEIVED and was not like that this year . they had expectations coming in.
With the szn they are having in the SEC they should be recruiting better…Texas A&M is a perfect example. They moved to the premier conference, started winning, and surpassed Texas in that state. Look at how they are recruiting. Ole miss is in a fertile state like Mississippi and surrounding areas..they aren’t even holding down little *** Mississippi at all. That’s a indictment on recruiting imho

Please. This is not even an apples to apples comparison. Mario has all the resources of Nike and is recruiting in Cali with USC, UCLA, Cal, and Stanford all down. He has little competition in recruiting. Meanwhile, Lane down there in poor *** Mississippi recruiting against the SEC giants.

The real measure is Lane is 9-2 in the SEC with only 1 top 20 class nationally in the last 4 years. More importantly, he hasn't had a class in the top 10 within the SEC. Meanwhile, Mario st 9-2 has had a top 15 class every year and the #1 recruiting class in the PAC-12 4 out of the last 5 years.

So, Lane has done much of the same with less. Mario, in true Miami fashion, underachieves with superior talent getting beat by inferior talent.
I know it's only one game, but the Utah tape is a bloodbath. So many Ducks just getting their **** pushed in - that's not a good look for someone who's been there 4 years and is a recruiting demon.

Advertisement
What if I told you that despite losing 30 scholarships over a 3 year period at USC due to Pete Carroll's sanctions , in year 4, Kiffins recruits at USC went 10-4. Would that count as good talent evaluation? I'd like to know what standard you are using for good talent evaluation.

Lol; that’s not true my guy.

Kiffin’s evals had chit to do w/ the 2011 season when USC went 10-2.

Kiffin was hired by SC, after the stupidity he pulled at UTK, on 01/12/2010.

SC’s roster was composed by the following:

Offense:
QB-Barkley (5 star - Class of ‘08…Pete Carroll)
RB-Tyler (5 star - Class of ‘07…Pete Carroll)
FB/HB-Ellison (3 star - Class of ‘07…Pete Carroll)
WR-Woods (5 star - *Class of ‘10…Pete Carroll)*
WR-Lee (4 star- Class of ‘11…Lane Kiffin)
WR-Butler (4 star - Class of ‘08….Pete Carroll)
TE-Grimble (5 star - Class of ‘10…Pete Carroll)*
LT-Khalil (5 star - Class of ‘08…Pete Carroll)
LG-Martin (3 star - Class of ‘11…Lane Kiffin)
C-Holmes (4 star - Class of ‘08….Pete Carroll)
RG-Martinez (4 star - Class of ‘09…Pete Carroll)
RT-Graf (4 star - Class of ‘09…Pete Carroll)

———-Offense: 10 of the 12 starters/rotation were recruited under Carroll’s staff. All 10 were 4 stars or above. 2 of the 12 were from Kiffin’s classes, 1 blue chip.———-

Defense:
DE-Horton (4 star - Class of ‘08…Pete Carroll)
DT-Toupu (3 star - Class of ‘07…Pete Carroll)
DT-Harris (4 star - Class of ‘07…Pete Carroll)
DE-Perry (4 star - Class of ‘08…Pete Carroll)
SLB-Bailey (4 star - Class of ‘10…Pete Carroll)*
MLB-Dawson (4 star - Class of ‘11…Lane Kiffin)
WLB-Pullard (4 star - Class of ‘10…Lane Kiffin)
SS-Starling (4 star - Class of ‘09…Pete Carroll)
FS-McDonald (4 star - Class of ‘09…Pete Carroll)
CB-Robey (4 star - Class of ‘10…Lane Kiffin)
CB-Wiley (3 star JUCO - Class of ‘11…Lane Kiffin)

———-Defense: 7 of the 11 starters, were recruited by Carroll’s staff. 6 of the 7 were blue chips———-

The Class of 2010 was started by Carroll which is where the * come from, as many committed in the Summer of 2009. Lane did secure some NSD gems for the 2010 class which finished 3rd. However, Lane’s true 1st class was the class of ‘11, which was also #3. Then the class of ‘12 (#8) & his last class of ‘13 (#13)

As Pete’s players left, and Kiffin’s players came in, SC actually got worst. They went from 10-2, to 7-6, to embarrassed in 2013, which got him being pulled off the bus & fired in the airport terminal.

Yes. And don’t try to be misleading..Ole miss IS NOT PERCEIVED and was not like that this year . they had expectations coming in.
With the szn they are having in the SEC they should be recruiting better…Texas A&M is a perfect example. They moved to the premier conference, started winning, and surpassed Texas in that state. Look at how they are recruiting. Ole miss is in a fertile state like Mississippi and surrounding areas..they aren’t even holding down little *** Mississippi at all. That’s a indictment on recruiting imho

TAMU is literally the richest program in the country bar none. TAMUs recruiting should not be used as an example for anything except the bag game. Pointing to TAMU and saying they started getting top recruits because they are winning is like seeing a big fat multi-billionaire slob being surrounded by 18 year old co-eds and saying, "See, that just proves that women don't care about looks as much as they do personality." Sure, maybe that guy is exceptionally charming, but I think being a multi billionaire made him a lot more attractive to the ladies.

Kiffins #18 class in 2021, after a 5-5 season was Ole Miss's best class in a decade (putting aside the years that Freeze got busted by THE NCAA for cheating).

I am curious why you are assuming Kiffins 2022 class is going to end up where it's currently ranked. Seems lots of people are trying to score points by claiming the current rank for the 2022 class is evidence that Kiffin can't recruit. The class isn't done. According to Rivals and 247, Utahs 2022 class is currently ranked in the mid 70s. Wisconsin is in the mid 40s. Paul Chryst has pulled in top 25 classes for as long as I can remember at Wisconsin. Do you think the current rankings should be taken as proof that Whittingham and Chryst can't recruit? Kiffin was recruiter of the year while at USC. He knows how to recruit. Here's a good article about Kiffin learning to act like an adult after working for Saban and Kiffins recruiting.

"At FAU, he immediately turned things around by landing recruits who otherwise never would’ve considered the Owls. FAU signed the best recruiting class in its conference in two of the three years that Kiffin was in charge. He took over a program whose most notable football accomplishment was producing the hot guy from The Bachelorette and turned it into a national brand."

Ole Miss is still targeting a lot of uncommitted players and possible flips. I think it's a little premature to make a judgment on the 2022 class when NSD is still 3 months away. If Ole Miss finishes with 11 or 12 wins, I suspect the class will improve significantly.

BTW - Here's an interesting fact - according to espns recruiting stats, for the class of 2021, "recruiting God" Mario Cristobal landed the #8 class. I'll give you 3 guesses who had the #9 class.

Offense:

———-Offense: 10 of the 12 starters/rotation were recruited under Carroll’s staff. All 10 were 4 stars or above. 2 of the 12 were from Kiffin’s classes, 1 blue chip.———-

Defense:

———-Defense: 7 of the 11 starters, were recruited by Carroll’s staff. 6 of the 7 were blue chips———-

The Class of 2010 was started by Carroll which is where the * come from, as many committed in the Summer of 2009. Lane did secure some NSD gems for the 2010 class which finished 3rd. However, Lane’s true 1st class was the class of ‘11, which was also #3. Then the class of ‘12 (#8) & his last class of ‘13 (#13)

As Pete’s players left, and Kiffin’s players came in, SC actually got worst. They went from 10-2, to 7-6, to embarrassed in 2013, which got him being pulled off the bus & fired in the airport terminal.

I think you interpreted my comment to be about 2011. It was actually referring to 2013. The team went 10-4 in 2013. As you point out, that team was mostly Kiffins recruits. Kiffin was fired 5 games into the season after going 3-2, and Ed O finished out the season. The team had victories over #5 Stanford and #20 Fresno St (bowl game), and finished the season ranked #19. I wouldnt exactly call that an embarrassing season for the team itself (more embarrassing for Kiffin personally, but there was never a coach in greater need of being humbled than pre-Saban Kiffin). It's actually kind of impressive for a team with an interim coach.

To frame it a different way, let's say Diaz returned for 2022 but was fired after starting 3-2. Jess Simpson takes over as interim HC and UM finishes 10-4 including a win over the #5 team. I don't think the narrative would be that Simpson was such an amazing coach that he squeezed the most he could out of an woefully untalented team. Instead I think people would be jumping up and down saying, "See, the talent was on the roster all along! Diaz was the problem!"

The original comment I responded to was about Kiffins talent evaluation, not his coaching ability. He recruited a team that was talented enough to go 10-4 in 2013 despite the heavy ncaa sanctions for most of his tenure. The fact that he didn't coach them through the end of the season isnt particularly relevant, what matters is the talent was there.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Offense:

Defense:

Tf you get fired in an airport terminal??...Lol

I think you interpreted my comment to be about 2011. It was actually referring to 2013. The team went 10-4 in 2013. As you point out, that team was mostly Kiffins recruits. Kiffin was fired 5 games into the season after going 3-2, and Ed O finished out the season. The team had victories over #5 Stanford and #20 Fresno St (bowl game) ., and finished the season ranked #19. I wouldnt exactly call that an embarrassing season. The original comment I responded to was about Kiffins talent evaluation, not his coaching ability. He recruited a team that was talented enough to go 10-4 in 2013 despite the heavy ncaa sanctions for most of his tenure. The fact that he didn't coach them through the end of the season isnt particularly relevant, what matters is the talent was there.

Gotchu…

Well, then this is the loaded gun, boss. Lol.

We can say the same about Golden, no? Golden brought in a lot of talent, and iirc, the 2015 draft had us w/ the 2nd most drafted players overall. Then look what Richt accomplished w/ Golden’s recruits.

So for the Kiffin crowd, is he a talent evaluator? If so, then why did SC suck w/ his players? Then if it’s his coaching ability, then why r we even discussing him?

For me, and I’ll be honest; Kiffin is a **** name, but he’s one of the biggest bull chitters out there. Again, ppl want to chit on Mario, yet for some odd reason excuse & justify Kiffin’s failures. Maybe he’s matured, but I just find the irony of looking to criticize Mario at every turn, including holding his FIU stint from like 1976 against him, yet give Lane a pass or an out weekly. Just boggles my mind of the level of hypocrisy. (Not u, just in general)

For the record:
Mario’s recruiting profile:

Lane’s recruiting profile:

Tf you get fired in an airport terminal??...Lol

Couldn’t wait. Lol. “Allegedly” The AD had a convo during the 3rd Qtr of the ASU game w/ USC President who was at the game & agreed my guy was toast.

Told my man to get off the bus, when they came back to L.A; met him in the terminal & said u’re fired. Lol. Wish I was making that up.

I know it's only one game, but the Utah tape is a bloodbath. So many Ducks just getting their **** pushed in - that's not a good look for someone who's been there 4 years and is a recruiting demon.
That’s a good analogy. It’s extremely worrisome that they got crushed by Utah. I just don’t understand why we should hire Mario when his only calling card is his recruiting. F recruiting give me some of that Bama S&C “expertise”. Is UM really going to pass on a chance to have a S&C coach that Saban tried to hire away from Ole Miss.

Advertisement
That’s a good analogy. It’s extremely worrisome that they got crushed by Utah. I just don’t understand why we should hire Mario when his only calling card is his recruiting. F recruiting give me some of that Bama S&C “expertise”. Is UM really going to pass on a chance to have a S&C coach that Saban tried to hire away from Ole Miss.
Evaluating & Recruiting is #1, and always will be...then it's all about development.

I think Lane knew awhile back this was going to be his last year there. Don’t think he put much effort into recruiting. Not a good look, tbh. Definitely a concern of mine with Miami. He’s not a program builder. And Miami would not be his intended final destination.
Agreed... he has a veteran team and loses a lot including of course Matt Corral

Gotchu…

Well, then this is the loaded gun, boss. Lol.

We can say the same about Golden, no? Golden brought in a lot of talent, and iirc, the 2015 draft had us w/ the 2nd most drafted players overall. Then look what Richt accomplished w/ Golden’s recruits.

So for the Kiffin crowd, is he a talent evaluator? If so, then why did SC suck w/ his players? Then if it’s his coaching ability, then why r we even discussing him?

For me, and I’ll be honest; Kiffin is a **** name, but he’s one of the biggest bull chitters out there. Again, ppl want to chit on Mario, yet for some odd reason excuse & justify Kiffin’s failures. Maybe he’s matured, but I just find the irony of looking to criticize Mario at every turn, including holding his FIU stint from like 1976 against him, yet give Lane a pass or an out weekly. Just boggles my mind of the level of hypocrisy. (Not u, just in general)

For the record:
Mario’s recruiting profile:

Lane’s recruiting profile:

Bingo..that’s all I’m saying too. Lane is the most flawed “can’t miss” candidate in discussion

Advertisement
It’s inconsequential Anything that happened with Lane at USC or Tennessee before Saban let him take his whole S&C program complete with all the “expertise”. The reason he’s killing it at Ole Miss and FAU before is because Of Saban’s S&C.

Anything that happened at USC and Tennessee doesn’t mean squat because he didn’t have Saban’s S&C. And that includes recruiting. Recruiting doesn’t matter nearly as much as one might think when you got that Bama S&C

Didn't think about Lane and his recruiting struggles. Somehow I overlooked that aspect.

I think Mario is the clear best choice. Lane has never proven he's a good talent evaluator. That's a big time concern, at Miami we're still going to need to have good evals for the kids at the bottom of our class. Diaz was awful at that.
As recruiting coordinator at USC they landed the top class 3 years in a row. It was a long time ago but still.

It’s inconsequential Anything that happened with Lane at USC or Tennessee before Saban let him take his whole S&C program complete with all the “expertise”. The reason he’s killing it at Ole Miss and FAU before is because Of Saban’s S&C.

Anything that happened at USC and Tennessee doesn’t mean squat because he didn’t have Saban’s S&C. And that includes recruiting. Recruiting doesn’t matter nearly as much as one might think when you got that Bama S&C

I’m not sure if u are for or against Mario, but I’m just saying this in general:

How is Lane’s previous record at THE NFL & P5 schools inconsequential b/c of his brief stint at Bama’s training, but Mario’s not?

But specifically for you: he’s not killing it at Ole Miss. Hes having one good season there. ONE good season, just like he had ONE good season at SC which ironically happened to be his 2nd one just like now.

Advertisement
Back