Ole Miss Recruiting

I know it's only one game, but the Utah tape is a bloodbath. So many Ducks just getting their **** pushed in - that's not a good look for someone who's been there 4 years and is a recruiting demon.

Bro, out here in my circle, we had Oregon on upset watch. I live in Pac-12 territory. Now we’ve been throwing out names like Mario & Kiffin, but Kyle Whittingham is tough SOB as a HC. He’s never leaving Utah or that state. Maybe BYU since he’s an alum, but my guy loves it there. My homies two nephews played for Kyle & he’s not w/ the B.S. He’s not flashy or anything, just tough blue collar.

We know UO was living on edge w/ Brown as QB. They just said, Mr. Brown….BEAT US. But Utah is forever hovering around the 9-11 win category since 2007. He had a couple of bad seasons after joining the Pac-12, but in 11 yrs as a member, they’ve won the South 4x & win a chit ton of bowl games. Not bad for a team full of 3 stars.

Advertisement
I’m not sure if u are for or against Mario, but I’m just saying this in general:

How is Lane’s previous record at THE NFL & P5 schools inconsequential b/c of his brief stint at Bama’s training, but Mario’s not?

But specifically for you: he’s not killing it at Ole Miss. Hes having one good season there. ONE good season, just like he had ONE good season at SC which ironically happened to be his 2nd one just like now.
Tbh..it’s all name value..thers no **** way you can disregard his NFL , usc and Tennessee stints

I’m not sure if u are for or against Mario, but I’m just saying this in general:

How is Lane’s previous record at THE NFL & P5 schools inconsequential b/c of his brief stint at Bama’s training, but Mario’s not?

But specifically for you: he’s not killing it at Ole Miss. Hes having one good season there. ONE good season, just like he had ONE good season at SC which ironically happened to be his 2nd one just like now.
I had never considered S&C especially important. But the FAU turnaround was miraculous. And it was with Saban's top assistant strength coach, who Saban just tried to hire back from Ole Miss last year. And now it's happening at Ole Miss too. They're 8th, Oregon is 11th. Oregon's S&C coach just got dominated by an inferior team.

Bro, out here in my circle, we had Oregon on upset watch. I live in Pac-12 territory. Now we’ve been throwing out names like Mario & Kiffin, but Kyle Whittingham is tough SOB as a HC. He’s never leaving Utah or that state. Maybe BYU since he’s an alum, but my guy loves it there. My homies two nephews played for Kyle & he’s not w/ the B.S. He’s not flashy or anything, just tough blue collar.

We know UO was living on edge w/ Brown as QB. They just said, Mr. Brown….BEAT US. But Utah is forever hovering around the 9-11 win category since 2007. He had a couple of bad seasons after joining the Pac-12, but in 11 yrs as a member, they’ve won the South 4x & win a chit ton of bowl games. Not bad for a team full of 3 stars.
USC could’ve had him a few years back but Lynn Swann goofed.

I had never considered S&C especially important. But the FAU turnaround was miraculous. And it was with Saban's top assistant strength coach, who Saban just tried to hire back from Ole Miss last year. And now it's happening at Ole Miss too. They're 8th, Oregon is 11th. Oregon's S&C coach just got dominated by an inferior team.

Again, ONE year. They went 5-5 yr 1. I would put a lot of pause on Kiffin until u see him next yr. He’s yet to put back to back or consistent good yrs at any P5 or NFL spot.

Advertisement
Again, ONE year. They went 5-5 yr 1. I would put a lot of pause on Kiffin until u see him next yr. He’s yet to put back to back or consistent good yrs at any P5 or NFL spot.

Bro, he took over a Ole Miss team that didn't break .500 for 4 straight seasons. In year 2 he has them at 9-2 in the SEC. As of right now, he's killing it there. Is it sustainable? We'll see.

FAU hadn't been over .500 in 8 seasons. In his 3 years there he won 10 or more games twice, had the best class in the conference twice, and won C-USA twice. If you don't think that would be considered "killing it", you have rather strange criteria.

100% agree that I would feel a lot more comfortable about hiring him if he had at least a 3 year sample. 2 years isnt much to go on. If someone took a snapshot of his time at FAU after year two, it would look like his year 1 success was only a fluke. His third year made it clearer that year two was actually the fluke. He could end up with a terrible year 3 at Ole Miss which would make clear that his success in year 2 was the fluke and his team isn't good. We do a have sample size of two programs though. He crushed it at the first one and at least for now, looks to be doing the same.

I think if you had been told about an obscure young coach that was brand new to CFB coaching ranks who became Sabans OC a few years years back, led Bamas offense to record setting years, then got his first HC job at FAU, won C-USA twice in three years with 10+ wins and landed the best class in the conference twice, then went to Ole Miss and in first full recruiting season landed their 2nd best class in almost a decade (best in a decade if you exclude the Freeze cheating) and had them at 9-2 in the SEC in just his 2nd year, you would be rather impressed. You aren't as impressed because you know the coach is Lane Kiffin and associate him with a lot of baggage. Am I wrong?

The last factor that makes favor Kiffin over Mario (again, they are close in my rankings but I'm leaning Kiffin) is downside protection. What happens if Kiffin looks like a flop after 3 years? An AD like Jurich isn't emotionally invested and would fire him without hesitation. What happens if Mario is a flop? He isn't going anywhere. You think the pro Diaz crowd on the BOT is clinging to power? That's going to be nothing compared to the pro Cristobal group on the BOT. He's effectively going to be the coach until he decides to quit. The BOT will try to fire Jurich before he tries to fire Mario if the experiment fails. We already see how it's virtually impossible to dislodge DiMare from baseball and there is a faction trying to get Diaz another year. If Mario is the HC- if he doesn't turn out to be the coach we all hope he is? We'll be stuck with him forever.

Last edited:
Bro, he took over a Ole Miss team that didn't break .500 for 4 straight seasons. In year 2 he has them at 9-2 in the SEC. As of right now, he's killing it there. Is it sustainable? We'll see.

FAU hadn't been over .500 in 8 seasons. In his 3 years there he won 10 or more games twice, had the best class in the conference twice, and won C-USA twice. If you don't think that would be considered "killing it", you have rather strange criteria.

100% agree that I would feel a lot more comfortable about hiring him if he had at least a 3 year sample. 2 years isnt much to go on. If someone took a snapshot of his time at FAU after year two, it would look like his year 1 success was only a fluke. His third year made it clearer that year two was actually the fluke. He could end up with a terrible year 3 at Ole Miss which would make clear that his success in year 2 was the fluke and his team isn't good. We do a have sample size of two programs though. He crushed it at the first one and at least for now, looks to be doing the same.

I think if you had been told about an obscure young coach that was brand new to CFB coaching ranks who became Sabans OC a few years years back, led Bamas offense to record setting years, then got his first HC job at FAU, won C-USA twice in three years with 10+ wins and landed the best class in the conference twice, then went to Ole Miss and in first full recruiting season landed their 2nd best class in almost a decade (best in a decade if you exclude the Freeze cheating) and had them at 9-2 in the SEC in just his 2nd year, you would be rather impressed. You aren't as impressed because you know the coach is Lane Kiffin and associate him with a lot of baggage. Am I wrong?

The last factor that makes favor Kiffin over Mario (again, they are close in my rankings but I'm leaning Kiffin) is downside protection. What happens if Kiffin looks like a flop after 3 years? An AD like Jurich isn't emotionally invested and would fire him without hesitation. What happens if Mario is a flop? He isn't going anywhere. You think the pro Diaz crowd on the BOT is clinging to power? That's going to be nothing compared to the pro Cristobal group on the BOT. He's effectively going to be the coach until he decides to quit. The BOT will try to fire Jurich before he tries to fire Mario if the experiment fails. We already see how it's virtually impossible to dislodge DiMare from baseball and there is a faction trying to get Diaz another year. If Mario is the HC- if he doesn't turn out to be the coach we all hope he is? We'll be stuck with him forever.

Ur last paragraph is the issue. Lane isn’t some obscure, young & upcoming HC. Ur last paragraph totally disregards history, & not just random history, but tangible NFL & P5 history.

Let’s back it up real quick; do u know WHY Kiffin was called up to the NFL?
-B/c he was an obscure, young OC on the most dominant program during its time, USC. Coaching under the tutelage of a widely successful Pete Carroll, who is not only a 2x Nat’l Championship Coach, but a SB winning NFL HC (and should have two if he would’ve just gave the ball to Beastmode).

That’s why his next job was The NF F’ing L, & he failed, epically.

Whatever, b/c what ppl chose to remember was his high powered offense at SC, winning Nat’l & Pac-10 titles. So UTK gave him a shot. Results? 7-6.

USC came knocking b/c of Kiffin’s connection to Carroll, as Carroll was bolting to the NFL. Yes, there were sanctions that happened from 2010 - 2012, but the fact is, USC was still pulling in recruits b/c unlike us, there was no “cloud” around SC. The punishment was known. In fact, he was very successful in yr 2 of his tenure despite the sanctions. His first class was top 3 in the nation, despite said sanctions; BUT, he was fired, not just from on field results, but he showed an air of immaturity, & smartest guy in the room behind scenes.

OK, so that’s the history we’re supposed to ignore b/c he coached at Bama (like he didn’t coach at pre Bama USC), he’s had 2 good yrs at a G5 program out of the 4 he was there, & he’s having “a” good yr at Ole Miss? Lol.

Kiffin reminds me of Russ Westbrook…a **** name, b/c the guy gives u triple doubles. Yet, his teams go nowhere besides 1st round exits no matter who the co-stars r, & his +/- on court is horrible. Somehow, he’s considered a top 75 player of all time by pundits b/c he puts up **** stats, though he’s a horrible PG.

I watch a ton of CFB, and I’ve been laser focused on Ole Miss & UO FB b/c of these two names. I can tell u just like Miami went 8-3 last yr, & ppl like myself pointed out how we were this close to being 5-6, Kiffin has been in 3 games where he’s literally been seen on the sidelines praying for a victory & Ole Miss is this close to being 7-4. Why? B/c his O moves the ball, and his D gives it all back.

That’s not an anomaly, that’s the norm. His father was once upon a time considered a defensive guru, and under his son, rep got smashed. So again, if u want Kiffin here, u can use any matrix or excuse, but be prepared for us to light up the scoreboard both in a good & bad way.

Advertisement
Ur last paragraph is the issue. Lane isn’t some obscure, young & upcoming HC. Ur last paragraph totally disregards history, & not just random history, but tangible NFL & P5 history.

Let’s back it up real quick; do u know WHY Kiffin was called up to the NFL?
-B/c he was an obscure, young OC on the most dominant program during its time, USC. Coaching under the tutelage of a widely successful Pete Carroll, who is not only a 2x Nat’l Championship Coach, but a SB winning NFL HC (and should have two if he would’ve just gave the ball to Beastmode).

That’s why his next job was The NF F’ing L, & he failed, epically.

Whatever, b/c what ppl chose to remember was his high powered offense at SC, winning Nat’l & Pac-10 titles. So UTK gave him a shot. Results? 7-6.

USC came knocking b/c of Kiffin’s connection to Carroll, as Carroll was bolting to the NFL. Yes, there were sanctions that happened from 2010 - 2012, but the fact is, USC was still pulling in recruits b/c unlike us, there was no “cloud” around SC. The punishment was known. In fact, he was very successful in yr 2 of his tenure despite the sanctions. His first class was top 3 in the nation, despite said sanctions; BUT, he was fired, not just from on field results, but he showed an air of immaturity, & smartest guy in the room behind scenes.

OK, so that’s the history we’re supposed to ignore b/c he coached at Bama (like he didn’t coach at pre Bama USC), he’s had 2 good yrs at a G5 program out of the 4 he was there, & he’s having “a” good yr at Ole Miss? Lol.

Kiffin reminds me of Russ Westbrook…a **** name, b/c the guy gives u triple doubles. Yet, his teams go nowhere besides 1st round exits no matter who the co-stars r, & his +/- on court is horrible. Somehow, he’s considered a top 75 player of all time by pundits b/c he puts up **** stats, though he’s a horrible PG.

I watch a ton of CFB, and I’ve been laser focused on Ole Miss & UO FB b/c of these two names. I can tell u just like Miami went 8-3 last yr, & ppl like myself pointed out how we were this close to being 5-6, Kiffin has been in 3 games where he’s literally been seen on the sidelines praying for a victory & Ole Miss is this close to being 7-4. Why? B/c his O moves the ball, and his D gives it all back.

That’s not an anomaly, that’s the norm. His father was once upon a time considered a defensive guru, and under his son, rep got smashed. So again, if u want Kiffin here, u can use any matrix or excuse, but be prepared for us to light up the scoreboard both in a good & bad way.

You wrote a lot so I'm sure I'll miss some stuff in my response. I'm not looking at pre Saban Kiffin for the same reason I'm not looking at pre-Saban Cristobal. I wouldnt have wanted either as HC.

You are getting some basic facts wrong. Kiffin wasnt at FAU for 4 years. He was there 3 years and won the conference two of three years.

I acknowledged he was an arrogant prick at USC who needed to be humbled. If he doesnt get fired and end up working for Saban, he's probably the same arrogant prick and is stuck as an OC somewhere today because he was a toxic HC. If Cristobal doesn't go work for Saban, he wastes years working for Al Golden and is today would either be a OL coach for a P5 or at best a HC at somewhere like Prairieview A&M. Getting fired and going to work for Saban was the best thing that happened to both. You are missing the point about Kiffins talent evaluation. The players he recruited went 10-4 in 2013. The fact he didn't finish out the season coaching them has no bearing on the question of their talent. Obviously they had talent since they went on a tear after he got fired. If anything, you could say he was holding them back. If you want to say Ed O was more responsible for recruiting that team than Kiffin, that's a fair argument as well. Youd would need to talk to the USC players to find out the truth.

As for defense, it's definitely a concern. But the same thing was said about Leach. Then Leach gets Arnett at MSU and they are #21 in total D with the #7 rush defense. Kiffin has been a HC for 10 years. In 7 of the 10 years, his defenses were in the top 1/3 of cfb in scoring defense. That tells me he understands the need for defense. He just needs to find the right DC and his D could improve the same way Leach's just did.

I have nothing against Cristobal but I think we have a QB who could be an all time great in the history of UM and in the right offense, a Heisman winner. Yes, I'm that high on TVD. I want the HC who can take advantage of his skills. We know Kiffin can make decent QBs look phenomenal. On the flip side, we saw what Mario did with Hebert. I don't think he got the most out of what he had.

I understand your concerns and I definitely respect your football knowledge. However the fact that two other posters here that I respect for their football knowledge @gogeta4 and @Liberty City El, both see it as I do (I think they do, maybe I'm wrong ) reinforces my belief that I have my wish list in the right order.

They way he gets criticized you’d be surprised Lane’s stock is as high as it is. About recruiting again, it’s like his haters are in denial that he can successfully recruit any QB in the country. Lane’s going to succeed at his next gig and then go to the NFL for good.

They way he gets criticized you’d be surprised Lane’s stock is as high as it is. About recruiting again, it’s like his haters are in denial that he can successfully recruit any QB in the country. Lane’s going to succeed at his next gig and then go to the NFL for good.
Who? I'm unaware of his QB recruiting history

Who? I'm unaware of his QB recruiting history
Lane’s leaving Ole Miss soon after the Egg Bowl. Wherever he goes I bet he’ll be able to get elite QB recruits. Then it’s the NFL.

Advertisement
You wrote a lot so I'm sure I'll miss some stuff in my response. I'm not looking at pre Saban Kiffin for the same reason I'm not looking at pre-Saban Cristobal. I wouldnt have wanted either as HC.

You are getting some basic facts wrong. Kiffin wasnt at FAU for 4 years. He was there 3 years and won the conference two of three years.

I acknowledged he was an arrogant prick at USC who needed to be humbled. If he doesnt get fired and end up working for Saban, he's probably the same arrogant prick and is stuck as an OC somewhere today because he was a toxic HC. If Cristobal doesn't go work for Saban, he wastes years working for Al Golden and is today would either be a OL coach for a P5 or at best a HC at somewhere like Prairieview A&M. Getting fired and going to work for Saban was the best thing that happened to both. You are missing the point about Kiffins talent evaluation. The players he recruited went 10-4 in 2013. The fact he didn't finish out the season coaching them has no bearing on the question of their talent. Obviously they had talent since they went on a tear after he got fired. If anything, you could say he was holding them back. If you want to say Ed O was more responsible for recruiting that team than Kiffin, that's a fair argument as well. Youd would need to talk to the USC players to find out the truth.

As for defense, it's definitely a concern. But the same thing was said about Leach. Then Leach gets Arnett at MSU and they are #21 in total D with the #7 rush defense. Kiffin has been a HC for 10 years. In 7 of the 10 years, his defenses were in the top 1/3 of cfb in scoring defense. That tells me he understands the need for defense. He just needs to find the right DC and his D could improve the same way Leach's just did.

I have nothing against Cristobal but I think we have a QB who could be an all time great in the history of UM and in the right offense, a Heisman winner. Yes, I'm that high on TVD. I want the HC who can take advantage of his skills. We know Kiffin can make decent QBs look phenomenal. On the flip side, we saw what Mario did with Hebert. I don't think he got the most out of what he had.

I understand your concerns and I definitely respect your football knowledge. However the fact that two other posters here that I respect for their football knowledge @gogeta4 and @Liberty City El, both see it as I do (I think they do, maybe I'm wrong ) reinforces my belief that I have my wish list in the right order.

My bad, correct, at FAU for 3 yrs.

Here’s my point, and it’ll be brief:

The only dog I have in this fight is Diaz being gone. The only thing I was highlighting was for those who r in Kiffin’s corner, they bring up every which flaw Mario has, even rooting for him to lose just to say “ahhhh ha! I told u so!” Yet, conveniently excuse Lane’s flaws.

Meanwhile, The Mario crowd look for every excuse to justify his success despite glaring holes, and can be hyper critical of Lane.

What I did was show how easily flawed Lane is, and Mario is flawed too. My concern w/ Lane is maturity, and if imma be honest, I’m not sure he has matured. U’re coaching an Ole Miss team who’s 9-2, yet u’re openly lobbying for The Miami job, mid season? That’s a red flag to me, regardless of what anyone says.

That would be truly horrendous if NSD was held on Thanksgiving Day.

It would. It's also a harbinger for what might be coming as Ole Miss doesn't seem to be leading for many top prospects, and they are in competition with stronger recruiting programs. Also only four of the top 20 kids in Mississippi are uncommitted and it seems that Ole Miss only leads for one.

As an aside, they lose a LOT off this 2021 for next year.

My bad, correct, at FAU for 3 yrs.

Here’s my point, and it’ll be brief:

The only dog I have in this fight is Diaz being gone. The only thing I was highlighting was for those who r in Kiffin’s corner, they bring up every which flaw Mario has, even rooting for him to lose just to say “ahhhh ha! I told u so!” Yet, conveniently excuse Lane’s flaws.

Meanwhile, The Mario crowd look for every excuse to justify his success despite glaring holes, and can be hyper critical of Lane.

What I did was show how easily flawed Lane is, and Mario is flawed too. My concern w/ Lane is maturity, and if imma be honest, I’m not sure he has matured. U’re coaching an Ole Miss team who’s 9-2, yet u’re openly lobbying for The Miami job, mid season? That’s a red flag to me, regardless of what anyone says.
Cristobal (who I think is Plan A, B and C) and Kiffin would both be a significant improvement over what we've had for the last 20 years.

Both have their strengths, both have their weaknesses.

As for openly lobbying for the Miami job mid-season, we don't know where that report came from - it could have been idle talk by his agent or a conversation overheard in a corridor etc. What I do know is that his team hasn't quit on him since that was leaked. I do have a concerns about Cristobal because his team has quit on him since the Miami rumours started heating up - that or he's not the recruiter / motivator he's purported to be because they got their **** pushed in against Utah.

I'd take either, because many respected posters on here assure me that Cristobal would lock down recruiting and improve the culture in SoFl and because I think the Lane Train would be a fun ride - he's a **** of a coach, albeit probably not the long term solution.

Advertisement

I see it just as you do.

I have him above Mario Cristobal as a coach here at UM for what we currently have and moving forward. Id take Mario and ride but im a good bit higher on Kiffin.

Honestly the only other places he could land better qb talent or equal would be USC and Bama...he would be landing elite of the elites to come to live in Miami for 3 years...and quite frankly TVD has shown that..its huge to have that. We are in games with an fcs level defense currently.

Total number of state of Mississippi class of 2022 top 5 HS commits:

Lane Kiffin: 1
Manny Diaz: 1

Total number of state of Mississippi class of 2022 top 20 HS commits:

Lane Kiffin: 3
Mike Leach: 8

Current recruiting rankings for 2022:

Ole Miss: 41
Miss St.: 25

And I assure you, Mike Leach is not known as a relentless recruiter.
It almost seems like Kiffin doesn’t plan on being there next year…

Advertisement
Back