OL Juan Minaya commits to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Tape isnt that good to me either.

Has the size that cant be taught, showed some movement skills, and a kick step.

Interior prospect that should take a shirt...and they can hopefully mold with that type of size and apparent strength. He needs to work on his flexibility and leverage as he plays high and feet seems kind of lazy for finishes.

If im taking projects....im taking hima nd Frankie...they are big kids ill say he is on the line of Frankie from last class.

Also this kid looks like he goes to Braddock or Coral Park or something, drives a Honda civic with pipes, and has a girlfriend named Idaliz.

He fits in at Miami like a glove...lol
Gogeta this eval is sound, the gf named Idalis in particular. The blowout haircut is the dead giveaway.

Grades roads in the run game but really struggles when you ask him to kick step as a tackle in pass pro. Gets caught holding and outside of his feet. Translates to a RG IMO.

Don’t think he’s struggle as much in pass pro as a guard. Solid base when he doesn’t have to move horizontally and anchors strong. Elite arm length too.

Similar frame and everything to Tinilau but opposite profile. Frankie moves a lot better and has a good kick step but struggles to anchor and destroy DL at the point of attack.
his highlight film right away had about 3 holds on small guys.

Interior all the way to me. Im tired of midget interiors so him, Kinsler, Frankie is A1 with me in back to back classes.

ezgif-2-d7b42015b8.gif

1654892991465.gif

1671429793475.gif

ezgif-5-4b8de3a4bb.gif

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Advertisement
I’ve never really been a star guy but I gotta tell ya I also have a hard time with believing that suddenly Mario and these recruiters are the only ones identifying these future studs as if they have some unique superpower that no other programs have. One or two flyers I get - happy to be proven wrong, but right now, this class is very suspect.
I take it you hated last years class too.

No offense to Frankie but this kid has a far more impressive offer list at this stage. Paramus is one of the top programs in the Northeast so would love to continue making inroads there as well.
In fairness, I think you answered your own question. He goes to an elite well known program in the northeast whereas Frankie was an unknown coming from overseas and went to a small unknown crappy 2A team in Miami. No recruiters were going stumble onto Frankie’s film because they were recruiting a guy from his team. Harder to get views which results in offers like that.

I’ve never really been a star guy but I gotta tell ya I also have a hard time with believing that suddenly Mario and these recruiters are the only ones identifying these future studs as if they have some unique superpower that no other programs have. One or two flyers I get - happy to be proven wrong, but right now, this class is very suspect.
Judd aside, I have a hard time poking too many holes in the class at this point.

Robinson and Wheatley are top SoFla recruits. Day’s recruitment is starting to blow up and we’ll be fighting SEC programs off between now and December. Minaya has a really good offer list and IOL rarely make it into the 4 star range.

None of these kids are Kelvin Cain or Jimmy Gaines like takes.

Advertisement
He told Gaby he is 6'6, 330 and 16 years old.

I agree with @gogeta4 on others on the tape- he isn't there yet. But from a body type perspective, it makes sense. This will be one of the biggest OLs in the country starting this year.

I remember Macho brought a kid to the board..way b4 he got an offer...project type but a mean streak...i said then go with that body type if he is a project...and Mongo is still collecting nfl checks.

He seems to have that same frame...cant wait to see the sr film...i think he should camp down here in summer if he can too...but his area of jersey is good ball either way.

Im also 100 percent sure he is @Dwinstitles cousin.

Coach Mirabal has been laser-focused on rebuilding the body types on Miami’s offensive line. That group just got bigger with the commitment of Juan Minaya. Minaya (6’6, 315) hails from Paramus, NJ-- a suburb of New York City-- and holds offers from Florida, Penn State, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Boston College and Pittsburgh. He is a former basketball player with significant room to develop.

In just two years, Coach Mirabal has added Anez Cooper (6’6, 350), Matthew McCoy (6’6, 300), Tommy Kinsler (6’6, 330), Frankie Tinilau (6’6, 315), Francis Mauigoia (6’6, 315) and Samson Okunlola (6’6, 300). Minaya fits right into that mold.

His junior clips were up and down for me, but you can see the promise in his sophomore film:

Massive old school UM OL love it man. Going to be hard for elite backs to pass this OL up down the road.

This class will be epic watch down the road.

Advertisement
I remember Macho brought a kid to the board..way b4 he got an offer...project type but a mean streak...i said then go with that body type if he is a project...and Mongo is still collecting nfl checks.

He seems to have that same frame...cant wait to see the sr film...i think he should camp down here in summer if he can too...but his area of jersey is good ball either way.

Im also 100 percent sure he is @Dwinstitles cousin.
Nah we don't grow that big in my family lol. If it was midget league than maybe we were related. Good high level football there though for sure.

Advertisement
If Mario, Alex, and Zo want this kid in mid-April, then I am doing full cartwheels that he committed.

As someone else said, pretty nice early offer sheet for an OL kid who is pretty new to football.

Miami, UF, Michigan State, Penn State, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Maryland, Boston College....

Kid has a chance to really rise this year.

Last edited:
And you are right not to be. Kid started playing ball at 14 years old and is only 16. Benches 225 Lbs 21 times already and has offers from PSU, UF, MSU, WVU and Pitt
Yeah, but it is understandable that people are still burned from the last 20 plus years.

After last class, everybody wants to see established dominant guys at a position our head coach played and recruits at a high level.

That said, logically after last class, it stands to reason that they see serious upside in this beast and feel comfortable enough to take on what they have to feel is a longer term project.

UM

Advertisement
Back