OL Juan Minaya commits to Miami

View as article
I’ve never really been a star guy, but I gotta tell ya. I also have a hard time with believing that suddenly Mario and these recruiters are the only ones identifying these future studs as if they have some unique superpower that no other programs have happy to be proven wrong, but right now, this class is very suspect.
If you're not going to be a star guy, the trick is to identify guys before they blow up and get in early on them. It's what evaluations are all about. And it's not Mario suddenly getting an epiphany, I have to believe that Alonzo and the support staff has considerable input on these evaluations. How well these evaluations (and subsequent development) are done will determine how good a class we get. I've thought for some time, the value of a class is not based on how the top end of the class turns out, but how good the bottom end turns out.

What's going on is actually smart. It's getting the core of the class committed with high 3*s and 4*s then closing in on the studs. And we will eventually get some, but probably not everyone on the wish list. Manny did the reverse and when the studs went elsewhere, that's when the reaches occurred. It was a clusterf*ck just before signing day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Grades roads in the run game but really struggles when you ask him to kick step as a tackle in pass pro. Gets caught holding and outside of his feet. Translates to a RG IMO.

Don’t think he’s struggle as much in pass pro as a guard. Solid base when he doesn’t have to move horizontally and anchors strong. Elite arm length too.

Similar frame and everything to Tinilau but opposite profile. Frankie moves a lot better and has a good kick step but struggles to anchor and destroy DL at the point of attack.

BylsmaPump.gif

Advertisement
I’ve never really been a star guy but I gotta tell ya I also have a hard time with believing that suddenly Mario and these recruiters are the only ones identifying these future studs as if they have some unique superpower that no other programs have. One or two flyers I get - happy to be proven wrong, but right now, this class is very suspect.

You're a total star guy because most of these guys have some pretty **** good offers and options besides Miami.

I feel like this one should have been expected for a while. It was pretty clear from the beginning that this was a OL prospect that the staff identified early and wanted to make as a part of this class. I have full trust is Mirabal and Mario with the OL and taking a project or two as the base of each class while still going big game hunting is a great strategy with OL recruiting, as long as you can develop the projects. This strategy allows you to build quality experienced depth and future starters with the projects at the foundation while also continuously injecting more high end talent with the big fish you collect along the way.

I was critical of the Judd take, and my stance is the same on that. But I actually have really liked/supported the last three commitments.
Agreed!! This is exactly the strategy you have to take. Identify prospects early who have the physical traits you look for and buy into the vision of being developed over 2-3 seasons before having to depend on them.

Take 1-2 of these a year with 2-3 high ranked guys and we will have a really deep OL in 2-3 seasons. It’s nice to only get 5 stars but you just won’t build any depth like that especially where we are as a program right now.

Advertisement
If you're not going to be a star guy, the trick is to identify guys before they blow up and get in early on them. It's what evaluations are all about. And it's not Mario suddenly getting an epiphany, I have to believe that Alonzo and the support staff has considerable input on these evaluations. How well these evaluations (and subsequent development) are done will determine how good a class we get. I've thought for some time, the value of a class is not based on how the top end of the class turns out, but how good the bottom end turns out.

What's going on is actually smart. It's getting the core of the class committed with high 3*s and 4*s then closing in on the studs. And we will eventually get some, but probably not everyone on the wish list. Manny did the reverse and when the studs went elsewhere, that's when the reaches occurred. It was a clusterf*ck just before signing day.

This

Going to trust Mario and Mirabal on this one. Don’t see it in the tape but he’s relatively new to football so who knows.
Tape isnt that good to me either.

Has the size that cant be taught, showed some movement skills, and a kick step.

Interior prospect that should take a shirt...and they can hopefully mold with that type of size and apparent strength. He needs to work on his flexibility and leverage as he plays high and feet seems kind of lazy for finishes.

If im taking projects....im taking hima nd Frankie...they are big kids ill say he is on the line of Frankie from last class.

Also this kid looks like he goes to Braddock or Coral Park or something, drives a Honda civic with pipes, and has a girlfriend named Idaliz.

He fits in at Miami like a glove...lol

Agreed!! This is exactly the strategy you have to take. Identify prospects early who have the physical traits you look for and buy into the vision of being developed over 2-3 seasons before having to depend on them.

Take 1-2 of these a year with 2-3 high ranked guys and we will have a really deep OL in 2-3 seasons. It’s nice to only get 5 stars but you just won’t build any depth like that especially where we are as a program right now.
You have the guys who are ready transferring out of programs even like Bama and Georgia too for money or PT.

Culture guys who can be developed are key to building depth. I imagine Mario will continue bringing in studs like Bain and Ray Ray who are ready to contribute on day 1, but getting guys who buy in and show promise are important to building a sustainable locker room

Advertisement

Also with the portal. Continuously signing 5 star OL would be great, but a lot will portal out for opportunities to start. These are the types of kids you need filling out the roster to avoid huge holes down the road.

Advertisement
Also, not everyone can be a starter. Guys like this raise the floor of the overall group. We’ve seen midgets getting ran over once our starters go down. A kid like this can be a good second team guard with potential to be a starter by year 3-4.

Kind of kid that goes to Kentucky and starts as a JR and SR for one of the best rushing attacks in the nation.

Tommie Kinsler 2.0.

He'll get his composite like Day and we'll be about 20th in the rankings. We were 999th pre these "three stars."

We need to develop some stinkin' perspective.
Kinsler I think might be a year one player. Minaya is a great developmental prospect

Advertisement
Back