OFFICIAL GAME THREAD ... And also Louisville game predictions, and game recap

Advertisement
Gak is a youngster, flashed some potential tonight. See a lot of Tonye in him. In other words, a long, athletic guy that needs to learn how to play within his body and get his timing down. Miami is athletic as **** right now, athleticism can overcome size, especially in rebounding. Would love to see guys like Wong, Beverly and McGusty be aggressive on the boards.

That said, Sam W. is a wasted scholarship at this point. He's awful, utterly awful. I was hoping that worst case scenario, he could develop into a poor man's Ivan Cruz-Uceda(A guy that can be instant O off the bench), he can't even shoot at a high enough level. Miami has to recruit over him this offseason, I'd encourage him to transfer if I were L. Get some portal guys, do something, because Miami can't afford to carry this guy on the roster in 2020.
Agreed. He's a major liability when on the floor. Like playing with 4 guys.

Advertisement
Coach L not gonna be happy Free Throws 4-11. (that includes 2 for 2 from Lykes.) Good thing new rules didn't move THAT line backwards.

This isnt about the game, but does Matt Cross play similar to Matthew Hurt for Duke, a small Forward that can also play the 4 and shoot.

Advertisement
Great finish. Walker should be the 4 over Sam who should not play another minute against top teams. He curls up into a ball against competition. I was pleased with Rodney and think he'll improve as the starting 5.
Sam isn’t an ACC player. His 4 minutes should go to Walker and then Stone when healthy. Otherwise, play another guard. Having him out there is a waste. He can grad transfer after the season.

If there’s a positive from tonight, Beverley and Walker had some pretty good stretches. Hopefully they can build on that.

It always amazes me that whenever they come (regardless of the outcome), I leave thinking that Louisville has the most obnoxious fan base in the ACC.

Advertisement
If there’s a positive from tonight, Beverley and Walker had some pretty good stretches. Hopefully they can build on that.

It always amazes me that whenever they come (regardless of the outcome), I leave thinking that Louisville has the most obnoxious fan base in the ACC.

They are. Them and Syracuse are two of the most annoying.

Truthfully, Vernon Carey Jr is the only difference between Miami being ranked and unranked. Vernon would be starting over Rodney and he would make our freshman even better.

Watching him and Tristan Enaruna play for other teams tonight was tough. Our front line is... not that caliber.

Advertisement
Man can’t believe Pops wouldn’t convince junior to stay home. We desperately needed Carey this year. That’s what you get with this front running(Lebron) generation. I hope Duke loses every game.

Someone who knows them (unaffiliated with UM) told me that Junior actually wanted to go here but pops pushed Duke as the best one and done career move.

Also, our front-court is fine if Sam stays off the court.

Miller with 6 and 9 will improve quickly with game experience.

Gak’s gonna get better, but he will be offensively limited this year. His defense and rebounding will improve as he trusts his body and gets back into game rhythm.

Stone will be a big help.

And Walker looked **** good in his first college game against a top 5 opponent.

Sam is a major liability.

I didn't expect to win this game, but to be completely ran off the court and get down by as much as 32 was pretty disheartening. I know it was garbage time, but at least we didn't quit and we seemed to get into a nice little groove as the game ended and only ended up losing by 13.

Some thoughts:

- What many posters on here, including myself, were most concerned about heading into this season reared its ugly head from the get go. Our frontcourt is simply undermanned and not talented enough. The fact that we didn't have Brooks apply for a waiver is still baffling. The only thing I can think of is L is going all in on next season being the year. Still, I find it hard to believe we couldn't find another grad transfer to give this frontcourt a much needed boost. Stone should help some when he is healthy again, at least.

- With that being said, Miller didn't look as terrible as many on this board feared. No, he doesn't look like a world beater, but he rebounded well and showed some nice post moves. Hopefully he continues to improve as the season goes along.

- Sam is not playable. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone, he's just never been good. The less minutes he sees, the better. 23 minutes is way, way way too much. He's an enormous liability on both sides of the court, especially defensively.

- Gak is very athletic but still raw. Hopefully as he gets back into game shape he can eat more minutes and start making more of an impact. This is a guy with a lot of ability. He had offers from UF, Kansas, Indiana and Duke. I think his development will be key to our success this season

- Walker really impressed me. Yes he's raw, but I'd rather roll with him than Sam. He reminds me of a longer more athletic version of Amp Lawrence.

- Beverly and Wong showed flashes, especially Beverly. He attacks the lane very well. Wong looked a little timid, which wasn't a surprise considering the opponent and the fact that it was his first collegiate game.

- Kam was fairly quiet. Too early to tell how good he'll be here. Was hoping he'd emerge as our alpha dog and #1 scoring option ala Sheldon Mac. Let's see.

- Lykes was pressing for much of the game. He's still a defensive liability, and that will never change due to his lack of height. Still would like to see his shot selection improve, but that's difficult to nitpick when you're down by 25+ points.

- DJ was DJ. He was probably our best overall player last night, which is a scary thought. He should be our 3rd or 4th best player.

Going forward, I'd prefer to see a smaller lineup of:
Lykes
DJ/Wong
Beverly
McGusty/Walker
Miller/Gak

or
Lykes/Beverly
DJ/Wong
McGusty
Walker
Miller/Gak

The way the transfer portal is now, there is zero excuse for an ACC program to ever have a front court as atrocious as this. We are going to get pounded on inside all season.

Advertisement
Back