OFFICIAL GAME THREAD ... And also Louisville game predictions, and game recap

Exactly, by January, defensively, Miami will be a lot better. They will win in November and December by outscoring team.

I will say this, I like these freshmen. If Miami can continue to recruit at a decent level, I think Miami may have something. You can see the difference in athleticism in these youngsters, compared to someone like DJ and Sam. It's frustrating that everyone's first glimpse of these guys came against a very experienced, deep Louisville team. I was ****ed when this game was announced, and I'm even more annoyed now. Miami got the ****** end of the stick, hopefully this doesn't destroy anyone's confidence.

Advertisement
I will say this, I like these freshmen. If Miami can continue to recruit at a decent level, I think Miami may have something. You can see the difference in athleticism in these youngsters, compared to someone like DJ and Sam. It's frustrating that everyone's first glimpse of these guys came against a very experienced, deep Louisville team. I was ****ed when this game was announced, and I'm even more annoyed now. Miami got the ****** end of the stick, hopefully this doesn't destroy anyone's confidence.

All in all, getting your butt kicked early can offend spark you to become better. All is not lost. This let's the team know the level they need to get too to win the ACC.

For what it is worth, Miami has scored 44 points in the 2nd half of this game. That is a positive to build on.

Didn’t expect to win but wanted to see toughness, especially on D

Can’t say I did

Louisville returned their top 7 scorers from last season and recruited well. It's amazing how people act like a bunch of freshmen, and transfers are going to be a top defending team opening night against a team like U of L. Young guys have to LEARN how to defend, especially guys who were able to rely on athleticism in HS. You'll see growth in this area, especially as they become more accustomed to little details like talking during defensive possessions. Lots of blown assignments tonight.

We should be 4-1 before our next serious challenge. Whatever lost confidence should be back in time for Illinois.

What I feared. We don't have even one legit ACC-quality front court player. I'd play all guards and small forwards and sit Miller, Sam, Gak, et. al. Play fast, press, chuck up the threes and hope for the best.

Advertisement
Louisville returned their top 7 scorers from last season and recruited well. It's amazing how people act like a bunch of freshmen, and transfers are going to be a top defending team opening night against a team like U of L. Young guys have to LEARN how to defend, especially guys who were able to rely on athleticism in HS. You'll see growth in this area, especially as they become more accustomed to little details like talking during defensive possessions. Lots of blown assignments tonight.
Apparently Louisville was NOT hurt/set back by their "scandal" which was pretty horrific.

All in all, getting your butt kicked early can offend spark you to become better. All is not lost. This let's the team know the level they need to get too to win the ACC.

For what it is worth, Miami has scored 44 points in the 2nd half of this game. That is a positive to build on.

Yep, I didn't expect to win this one, I would have been over the moon with a close game, but this team has potential. Now to watch the Duke/Kansas game and hope Carey Jr. gets embarrassed.

What I feared. We don't have even one legit ACC-quality front court player. I'd play all guards and small forwards and sit Miller, Sam, Gak, et. al. Play fast, press, chuck up the threes and hope for the best.

Exactly but I doubt we will do that.

Advertisement
Yep, I didn't expect to win this one, I would have been over the moon with a close game, but this team has potential. Now to watch the Duke/Kansas game and hope Carey Jr. gets embarrassed.

Truthfully, Vernon Carey Jr is the only difference between Miami being ranked and unranked. Vernon would be starting over Rodney and he would make our freshman even better.

Coach L can build on this. He can tell the team that they are closer to the team that outscored Louisville 48-42 in the second half than the team that got outscored 45-26 by Louisville in the first half.

You have to build on the positive after the first game.

Great finish. Walker should be the 4 over Sam who should not play another minute against top teams. He curls up into a ball against competition. I was pleased with Rodney and think he'll improve as the starting 5.

Advertisement
Apparently Louisville was NOT hurt/set back by their "scandal" which was pretty horrific.

If you have an athletic department and administration that doesn't give a ****, and is willing to ***** over the University at large to win, then it won't take long to recover. Penn State is another example.

I hope Sam figures it out soon because if he loses his starting position to Walker then I could see him turning pro like Anthony Mack or transferring after this season.

It just has not clicked for him and I feel he is running out of chances.

I hope Sam figures it out soon because if he loses his starting position to Walker then I could see him turning pro like Anthony Mack or transferring after this season.

Now might be a good time to remind everyone that both he and Rodney have already graduated. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Advertisement

Great. Then we have an additional ship we won't use.

The thing I really can't get over is the fact that Deng STILL can't even hold onto a basketball. Not even talking about dribbling, like he literally couldn't travel if he wanted to.

Zero chance he leaves to go pro

Gak is a youngster, flashed some potential tonight. See a lot of Tonye in him. In other words, a long, athletic guy that needs to learn how to play within his body and get his timing down. Miami is athletic as **** right now, athleticism can overcome size, especially in rebounding. Would love to see guys like Wong, Beverly and McGusty be aggressive on the boards.

That said, Sam W. is a wasted scholarship at this point. He's awful, utterly awful. I was hoping that worst case scenario, he could develop into a poor man's Ivan Cruz-Uceda(A guy that can be instant O off the bench), he can't even shoot at a high enough level. Miami has to recruit over him this offseason, I'd encourage him to transfer if I were L. Get some portal guys, do something, because Miami can't afford to carry this guy on the roster in 2020.

Advertisement
Back