Official “If not Mario then who?” Thread

These suggestions of two-to-three year NFL assistants are really weird. Some of you have no clue how to scout a college football head coach.

Bill Clark and Hugh Freeze would both be good choices.

Advertisement
Give me Mario or Lane. I think we need someone with real Power 5 experience, not another guy learning on the job. Those 2 have paid their dues and Lane seems to finally have figured it out.

These suggestions of two-to-three year NFL assistants are really weird. Some of you have no clue how to scout a college football head coach.

Good point, but I would also say that you dont start with names, you start with qualities/traits that you are looking for. Do we want P5 head coaching experience? G5 acceptable? NFL experience? Offensive or defensive mind? A disciplinarian or a players coach? I could go on, but porsters hopefully get the point. You dont know who to hire until you know what you are looking for.

Good point, but I would also say that you dont start with names, you start with qualities/traits that you are looking for. Do we want P5 head coaching experience? G5 acceptable? NFL experience? Offensive or defensive mind? A disciplinarian or a players coach? I could go on, but porsters hopefully get the point. You dont know who to hire until you know what you are looking for.
I want a coach with a proven record of assembling a quality staff relative to the college job he is at. Quality staff means high level recruiting and improving on the prior regime's results.

Advertisement
I'm just not a big Mario fan. He's a great recruiter and will get us the pieces we need but GameDay decisions and game planning have been things I think he struggles with so much. I'm still amazed at how bad Herbert looked at Oregon just to go the chargers and look like a world beater. Just never been a fan of his.
I hope we interview Jamey Chadwell, Matt Campbell, and Bill O'Brien. I really don't get why O'Brien isn't refered more by everyone. I mean, I thought it was safe to say that he only failed in Houston because he was given too much responsibility. His first years there and at Penn state everyone thought he'd be a world beater.
I think it's more about there not being a true home run hire that will 100% get us to where we want to be. The elite coaches are either already spoken for (Saban, Dabo) or never coming here (Meyer, Bob Stoops, etc).

So when you look at what's available there's always a ton of unknowns. Will the offensive/defensive coordinator that is becoming first time HC (Venables, Lanning, etc) be able to lead a program with no HC experience? Will HC at smaller program (Napier, Chadwell, etc) succeed at bigger program? Will previously fired HC with big question marks (O'Brien, Freeze, etc) be able to figure things out at Miami?

So Cristobal provides you a few things that you know are proven:
a) has had success at a major program (and smaller program)
b) proven recruiter especially in the SFL area
c) starting to win some big games (OSU this year, Wisconsin in Rose Bowl)
d) instant respect put on his name and our program throughout the country

There will undoubtedly be some question marks around him but when you compare him to everyone else out there, he's clear and away the best option. Not perfect but pretty **** close to it.

Another unproven cheap hire will be the choice. Maximizing ACC checks is the only concern for the school.

Advertisement
A broken clock is correct twice per day.
Shannon
Golden
and
Manny
That’s the norm.

MIN - 4:32 What a real AD sounds like.
-10:52 The man loves the U
-12:12 Why I feel we have a legit shot if we come at him the right way. His wife was rumored to want to come back too.
-17:15 This is why my opinion has changed with him. You see it with the play too.

Mario feels like the best choice right now. If not him -

-Billy Napier
-Luke Fickell
-Lane Kiffen

I would consider Tom Herman. I thought he did great in Houston. Texas could've just been a bad fit.

From their AD: “I would not be doing my job, acting in the best interest of this university and our football team, if I hired a new coach based on emotion and familiarity”

180° difference in a successful AD and our AD

A broken clock is correct twice per day.
Shannon
Golden
and
Manny
That’s the norm.

I don't think you understand the word "norm".

Yes, Shannon and Manny were "unproven cheap hires" by your definition, in the sense that they had not previously been head coaches. Whereas, Golden was "proven", in the sense that he had built up a bad program (Temple) and won games. Shannon was a hiree in line with Donna Shalala's hiring philosophy, while Manny was a sneaky maneuver by Beta Blake in the power vacuum that is named "Julio Frenk".

Bottom line, the only "norm" is that all three coaches you named...failed. For different reasons, having nothing to do with their salaries.

But I pointed out a "proven" and "not cheap" hire that was one of the last two coaches hired. Thus maybe, JUST MAYBE, "maximizing ACC checks" is NOT the "only concern for the school".

Advertisement
This is just another one of a litany of reductive circular non-sensical arguments.

You cite an "it factor". Outside of Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, and Urban Meyer, please cite any available "it factor" coach WHO HAS ALSO PROVED IT BY WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Because you are ****ting on Mario for his Oregon record (and don't even get me started on the fact that he had to follow the KING of "smoke and mirrors") and inventing some "lack of a particular 'it' characteristic" while utterly failing to mention ONE NAME who has both of the qualities that you seemingly desire.

And with your inability to produce such names, EVERYONE is a projection. EVERY CANDIDATE YOU CAN NAME is partially or wholly a "roll of the dice".

"We will not win championships with him". What a joke. You have no idea. Outside of Nick/Dabo/Urban, please compile the huge list of coaches who have won national championships in the past 20 years. And who are available.

I'll wait.
LULZ, bro, don't upset me with Mario smack bro, I may have to start using CAPS. Calm down.

You miss my entire point. Miami need to search beyond Miami. Mario is not some god send that will win here because he is finding success in a ****** conference, with a program that seems to win with most (now that USC Sucks), coaches recently. Not to mention the facilities.

Because you cannot find a coach that has won a championship is a weak argument. It is about the makeup of the person. Mario does not have what it take to win at Miami. He is a Golden, Richt, Diaz type of coach. Because you seem to have some emotional tie to him only serves to cloud your judgement. Yeah, let's just turn the program over to Mario without even interviewing coaches. That was a success last time and a big success with the baseball program as well! Bit because every coach is a roll of the dice, lets just take the easy road and hire Mario. Don't worry about what other coaches may want to build here, don't worry about the staff they may bring, nope Mario and that is it. Lazar focus.

Jimmy did not win a championship prior to being here, but look what he did, look at his personality. Mario does not have it. Yes, the it factor is rare, and yes, the coaches you mention have it, but personally I do not think Dabo would succeed here.

It is narrow minded thinking to just hire Mario and is why the program is in the condition it is in. There are coaches out there besides Mario that can win. If you need names, perhaps you should follow more than Mario. This program and fans have settled for too long.

I'm officially on the Lane train. The Ole **** defense brings the thunder too.

56d0c7ee6e97c621048ba0be

Advertisement
I stopped reading after that. The ACC is brutally horrid.
Yet we have more undefeated teams than the PAC, and more 2-1 teams. But don't let facts stand in the way of your opinion. Also, I said the PAC may be as bad or worse than the ACC. May, I think that is fairly accurate. They both suck, so we will nitpick on which one sucks more?

But they managed him with kid gloves. I watched a couple Oregon games that year and they utilized Herbert like a game manager. He's looked so much better as a pro than a collegiate player. It's disconcerting.

I'm no expert on Cristobal's offenses, but IMO, it doesn't appear that he favors some wide-open, pass-happy offense, but a more traditional, conservative offense closer to what we saw with Bama before they started to open it up with Tua, Mac and now Young. Look at them now . . . Anthony Brown is not much of a passer. (We saw him plenty at BC.)
It was the oc arroyo. Oregon fans was complaining because the offense wasn’t as exciting as it used to be. Joe moorehead is the oc at oregon now and he is a very good and creative oc. He was the oc at penn st a few years back when they had mcsorley and he completely changed their offense around

Jimmy Johnson was 29-25-3 at Oklahoma State before he was hired by Sam Jankovich. You can’t expect Butch to be killing it at FIU with 2-Star recruits.

He’s a proven program rebuilder, and a great talent evaluator and recruiter. Things that have been missing from Miami since he left.

Also, Nick Saban is 69 years old, too.
The only way Butch would work is if we spent millions on our assistant coaches and infrastructure and he could pull the mack brown former coach charm/and market himself as the creator of the most talented team ever.
At this point in his career our administration would have to hire elite assistants and add like 5-10 more player personnel analysts, recruiting guys,

My college coach preferences (not including Campbell or Fickell):

1. Mike Gundy- Go get him. He has to be getting bored, alumnus or not, being at Oklahoma State. Since 2005 he’s won 67.6% of his games in a power five conference and constantly playing second fiddle to Oklahoma and Texas (had been Texas A&M, too). He would be so interesting, personality wise, in south florida too. He’d fit in with the rest of the crazies. Plus he knows how to hire a staff. Stop looking for the uber **** flavor of the month hire and go for a guy who’s been very good for a very long time and still younger. I don’t know if he peaked a decade ago or not but I really think he just needs a change of scenery.

2. Neal Brown-three straight double digit winning seasons at Troy. Very underrated coach and this season will tell a lot about him but WVU looks very good this year and have gotten better each year. Has a very tough schedule relative to what WVU used to have.

3. Napier-An interesting coach who learned at Clemson, Todd graham and Saban (awesome recruiter there). Has paid his dues at a g5 program and they’ve looked great the past two years with two seasons of double digit wins.

With Napier one interesting thing is he’s played power five teams very tough: Texas this year, Mississippi State two years ago, they beat Iowa State last year.

The guy doesn’t just do a solid job because he has a massive talent or
Budget advantage (Golden had the top budget in his conference and could still never win it). He goes toe to toe in some cases with bigger programs. That tells me a lot. I like coaches that do more with less.

4. Mario-Has had some gameday issues but overall checks off a lot of boxes. If they invest in a great staff with him like he has at Oregon we could be cooking here. It depends on the administration and infrastructure they are willing to build. He knows the culture, has coached here and at FIU, and can recruit. Can we overcome his gameday problems and can we get him the staff and infrastructure he will need?

5. Lane-would make us either the baddest team on the planet in a good way or be a disaster/get us on probation. At the very least he would raise interest in the program in ways we haven’t seen here in decades and we would be incredibly fun to watch. The outcome, however, would be up for debate. Lol. High risk and high reward.

Honorable mention 1: Dave Clawson-do people know how difficult it is to win at wake forest? I had a relative that went there years ago and the school is tiny with as limited resources as you can find in power 5. He would be the least **** hire of anyone but we would overall be a lot better coached and he has done well at Bowling Green, Richmond, and Fordham too. Would he be good enough for our expectations? We’d probably, in every 5 years have 2 or 3 double digit win seasons. Is that enough?

Honorable mention 2: Chris Klieman, KSU. Awesome in FCS. Solid at KSU so far.

How does one scout a college football head coach?

Advertisement
Back