OC prediction

You literally do the same thing and I wasn't making an assumption, I was asking if Mario thinks his scheme is wrong. Please tell me about my awful takes, what's so awful about them?
It’s been brought up a lot but your general point is the big question

Firing Gattis is one thing

Do we over-correct? Mario doesn’t seem that type of guy. I would expect a marginally different guy than Gattis which might not be the end of the world but as much as I would love some of the names being thrown around, I’m still unsure what’s realistic

I don’t expect a huge change but I also don’t necessarily think it’s as simple as “Mario gets his offense”

Yes Mario is the boss, but there’s a lot of alphas in this building now.

Advertisement
I am going through the list of top scoring offenses to see who is a OC/WR coach.

In the 30s... so, not lost yet.

Edit: James Madison, who have played an absolute belter of a season, is the first team on the list. Actually missed them first, but they are 19th with 36 points a game. Offensive coordinator is... not kidding, Mike Shanahan. OC and WR coach.
HEAVEN ABOVE THEY JUST ANNIHILATED COASTAL CAROLINA 47-7

It’s been brought up a lot but your general point is the big question

Firing Gattis is one thing

Do we over-correct? Mario doesn’t seem that type of guy. I would expect a marginally different guy than Gattis which might not be the end of the world but as much as I would love some of the names being thrown around, I’m still unsure what’s realistic

I don’t expect a huge change but I also don’t necessarily think it’s as simple as “Mario gets his offense”

Yes Mario is the boss, but there’s a lot of alphas in this building now.
It definitely should be an interesting week ahead. Hopefully whatever Mario decides works out because it sucks to always have to hire a new OC here, it’s extremely difficult to build continuity when your team is learning a new offense every year or two

Advertisement
I am going through the list of top scoring offenses to see who is a OC/WR coach.

In the 30s... so, not lost yet.

Edit: James Madison, who have played an absolute belter of a season, is the first team on the list. Actually missed them first, but they are 19th with 36 points a game. Offensive coordinator is... not kidding, Mike Shanahan. OC and WR coach.
Curious why it has to be a OC/WR coach?

There is a chance Ponce is gone too so the new OC can also be QB coach. That guy can bring in a WR coach…and if he wants to bring in other coaches from his staff, Field has the flexibility to work off field

Another scenario is that Ponce can slide to WR coach if he is kept. He has coached wr before.

Curious why it has to be a OC/WR coach?

There is a chance Ponce is gone too so the new OC can also be QB coach. That guy can bring in a WR coach…and if he wants to bring in other coaches from his staff, Field has the flexibility to work off field

Another scenario is that Ponce can slide to WR coach if he is kept. He has coached wr before.
That was made in response to @Cane6.

Ponce won't stay. Cribby has said that already.

It definitely should be an interesting week ahead. Hopefully whatever Mario decides works out because it sucks to always have to hire a new OC here, it’s extremely difficult to build continuity when your team is learning a new offense every year or two
Yeah I agree. We have seen around college football where a coach with a plan gets enough time to have that plan play out and it works after a couple of years

I’ve no doubt Mario will see his plan play out, just not sure if that means wins or not

Manny was more of a guy without a plan, which can be somewhat effective but hard to have long term success

They seem to be polar opposites of each other just not sure how Mario’s vision plays out

Advertisement
That was made in response to @Cane6.

Ponce won't stay. Cribby has said that already.
Ah Gotchya. Yeah I can’t see Ponce staying and with Cribbys seal, I’m happy. It’s the right call and I’ll actually be impressed that Mario wasn’t too stubborn to keep his boy.

I’m still not confident that he will make a great hire though. I’ll need to see it….and even if I like it on the surface Im not going crazy until I see it on the field.

I should clarify that it will be a new OC that coaches QBs + a separate WR coach
Key And Peele Reaction GIF

Ok, that widens the list...

Advertisement
I think Mullen is a legit candidate, at least for what Mario wants to do on offense. Physical running game coordinator who has shown versatility to work with different types of quarterbacks and an ability to alter his scheme to fit his players. Not to mention, Mario hired Joe Moorehead at Oregon and he’s basically “Dan Mullen at home”. Is he my preferred choice? Not really but my favorites aren’t “Mario” guys. I’d get behind a Dan Mullen hire though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back