OBSERVATION: Zion Nelson

Advertisement
There is no competition this year for “Most Improved Player,” if only for how absolutely dreadful he was last year and how serviceable to good he’s been this year. Amazing turnaround and exactly why you don’t give up on guys too soon.

My pick has been Gil all year, but I'm starting to think you're right. It's probably gotta be Zion's award at this point.

Also, no need for anyone to eat crow on this thread. In October 2019, he was Matt Pipho bad. One of the worst tackles we've ever had here. Now, in his defense, he wasn't nearly ready and being asked to block one on one for entirely too long, but the results were as bad as they could have possibly been. Bottom line, he was getting killed. But I couldn't be more proud of the kid and the staff for working at him. It would have been easy to completely go in the tank and give up on yourself, and the staff to give up on him. But clearly that didn't happen, and he's turning himself into a good player. He might be the best story on the entire team actually, when you consider what he absorbed last year and how much he's improved.

Zion was always athletic with deceptive knockback power. Last year proved he was tough and resilient.

His fans knew he wasn't ready but we were patient because his issues were correctable. It's a lot harder to teach length, twitch and toughness.

Advertisement
It’s almost like saying “stop making excuses” for the kid who weighed 240 pounds in April and then was pressed into action by an incompetent staff at the second most important position in football when he should have been redshirting was an incredibly stupid take.

Stop playin with these carolina boys man. also sumter is super country and he has that country strength but dude was also like 240 when he got here.

Advertisement
My pick has been Gil all year, but I'm starting to think you're right. It's probably gotta be Zion's award at this point.

Also, no need for anyone to eat crow on this thread. In October 2019, he was Matt Pipho bad. One of the worst tackles we've ever had here. Now, in his defense, he wasn't nearly ready and being asked to block one on one for entirely too long, but the results were as bad as they could have possibly been. Bottom line, he was getting killed. But I couldn't be more proud of the kid and the staff for working at him. It would have been easy to completely go in the tank and give up on yourself, and the staff to give up on him. But clearly that didn't happen, and he's turning himself into a good player. He might be the best story on the entire team actually, when you consider what he absorbed last year and how much he's improved.
If the award were split for Offense and Defense, Gil absolutely takes it on that side of the ball.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic OL beat on outside by DE...like they will show it in training rooms for decades to come
- his futility in position is going to get somebody hurt--and badly with his missed assignments
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY
While you jumped the gun I give you credit for giving hope that he would turn it around one day.

What this tells me is Justice is a good to great OL coach and if we get him enough studs we could have a dominant OL.

Am I reaching?

Also, no need for anyone to eat crow on this thread. In October 2019, he was Matt Pipho bad. One of the worst tackles we've ever had here.
this isn't true... he was inconsistent and had a handful of really bad plays per game, but he also put plenty of good to great reps on tape. he was a 2 star recruit playing as a true freshman, the entire idea of him starting was absurd, but there were lots of ppl saying he was clearly the best LT on the team and could still be a good starter for us longterm.

here's a post of mine from january pointing out how well he played vs FSU... d money and others in that thread defending zion to ppl who wanted to put another true freshman (jalen rivers) at LT

Advertisement
The guy put on 70? pounds in under two years and put in effort to get better. How much more of a Cinderella story do you need than a lightly recruited three star who was played too early turning into a rock solid performer?

While you jumped the gun I give you credit for giving hope that he would turn it around one day.
I did eat crow on this--and I have owned it. However, I still don't believe he is starter material (as it relates to a team with even an average OL unit), the rest are just that bad.

Nonetheless, I was wrong on him not starting again.

**** you @Fawk_U Haters !!!

😁

Last edited:
I don't like OP's schtick but even he acknowledged the book wasn't closed on Zion.

Can't say the same for a lot of porsters who think they know more than they really do.
To be clear, just because Zion has worked his way back into the rotation doesn't mean he is "good". Although I was first in line to admit he has progressed since last season--no doubt.

Again though, I was proved wrong in saying he would not see the field again as a starter. I own it, it happens, even to me.

😁

Advertisement
I did eat crow on this--and I have owned it. However, I still don't believe he is starter material (as it relates to a team with even above average OL unit), the rest are just that bad.

Nonetheless, I was wrong on him not starting again.

**** you @Fawk_U Haters !!!

😁
Sir you’re a gentleman and a scholar.

low key love your willingness to die on this hill hahaha.

is this the thread where we made our bet? If so I should be peacocking all over this ****

Advertisement
Back