OBSERVATION: Zion Nelson

Advertisement
We all see how bad Zion is as a Left Tackle, and we have not even tried to replace him. Just a thought could this be a recruiting ploy by Manny showing that playing time to new o-line recruits is wide open.

It’s because he’s very athletic and he’s tough. His issues are correctable. But he’s obviously not ready now.

He isn’t a phenom.

With coaches who actually wanted to be in Miami in 2015 and 2016, we wouldn’t have even known who he was for 3 or 4 years if we even signed him at all.

The fact they don’t help him much is one of many things that let’s you know these coordinators ain’t worth a handful of used toilet paper on chili night.

Advertisement
I saw the kid on campus when he arrived. I immediately thought he was a project, because he looked like an oversized linebacker. He looked to be in the range of somewhere between 240-260. I figured he likely needed 1 or 2 years in a weight room before seeing the field.

I was as surprised as everyone else when I heard all the spring reports that he was playing well, ascending the depth chart, and ultimately, made the starter.

I know he's put on some 30 pounds or so but it's not likely that his strength has correlated with his weight gain. He still likely needs some time in the weight room to have the strength to play that position. There's a big difference between a 290 lb upperclassman with 2+ years in a college weight room with a 290 lb freshman that quickly added 30 pounds to play that position.

I can't speak to technique at all, but hopefully he can make progress in that area to make up for his lack of strength at this stage.

Advertisement
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic OL beat on outside by DE...like they will show it in training rooms for decades to come
- his futility in position is going to get somebody hurt--and badly with his missed assignments
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY
He had to have a rivals rating simply because of his size, but I don't understand why he's still starting. He never really a 'big' OL.
The offense they run at Sumter is similar to what Enos runs. They run a lot of okay plays center, play action, and a little spread. Most of his film blocking was downhill. There was nothing there to say he was good in pass protection.
When they played Byrnes in the 2nd Rd of the playoffs, he was constantly getting beat by smaller faster guys, off the edge, and also getting pushed back when they got under his pads.

I just do not get the love affair with this kid, not at all!

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic OL beat on outside by DE...like they will show it in training rooms for decades to come
- his futility in position is going to get somebody hurt--and badly with his missed assignments
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY

Instead of focusing in on Zion, you should focus in on why does enos already, keeps leaving Zion nelson out on that island by himself with no help as much as he does, its starting to make sense why jarren keeps running out of bounds with the ballin his hands instead of throwing it away! And how many times we gone see enos already call these running/pitch plays to whatever side weak mallory is on as the point blocker being unsuccessful.

Here is what I see:
Whatever happened with Tommy Kennedy? IIRC he started at LT for Butler. I mean, he at least knows what to try to do .

Advertisement
He's just not ready yet, doesn't have the functional strength or footwork necessary to be a starting P5 LT.

Barry needs to seriously consider moving Scaife to LT & giving Campbell another shot at RT.

I encourage anybody that hasn't already to go rewatch the UF & CMU games and only focus on Zion the whole time you watch, he is BAAAAAADDD, like super extra terrible. Not just in the sacks he gives up, but pay attention to how many missed assignments he has in blocks he supposed to pickup & how often he gets beat on run plays as well.

OP is not exaggerating, he's the WORST LT in D1 ball this season.
you might be getting a reply from @jjpuppet, who is one of Zion's nannys, telling you to "grow up" like he posted on a thread i did about Best/Worst OL . LOL !

Advertisement
I am here to eat deep battered and dixie fried crow. Much improved. dixie fried.jpg

Advertisement
Back