O-Line Good, RB's Good, Cannot Run the Ball. Explain it to Me.

Advertisement
It’s not the passing game. Our biggest issue in the running game is that our backs aren’t explosive. The oline consistently opens holes and our backs get into the second level but none have the speed or ability to break tackles for plays that would result in long runs. These are the longest runs of each of our RBs:

Allen - 26 (against UVA)
Chaney - 26 (against Bethune)
Fletcher - 26 (against Miami of Ohio)
Parrish - 37 (against Miami of Ohio)

100% this. Our RB's are grinders. They're not explosive. And that's hard for people to wrap their head around.

There's been plenty of games where TVD is throwing for 300+ yds and lighting it up where the RB's are still just grinding.

Just look at Brashard Smith's 80 yd run. They are opportunities to break long run if you have that ability - which our RB's do not.

There's multiple opportunities in every game where the OL provides the RB's plenty of open field to turn a 10 yd gain into 20-30+ yd gain. They just can't.

We're very deep in "OK" at RB - but we just don't have RB's that excel in the open field right now (CJ & Citizen being TBD in this area).

IMG_1627.jpeg

Not even incentives can save tuff and fizical @Memnon

Another bro ball bites the dust. The path to success via bro ball is shrinking by the day.

Advertisement
I am a broken record on the OC issue. I want an OC that is highly flexible, and adjusts based on the personnel given him, rather than trying to map a scheme onto any team he inherits. I also want an OC who is a serious recruiter of QBs.

How do you determine if a coach qualifies? A ton of research. One has to watch film of the prior year, and then the OC's work after arriving. One has to study the roster. It is very important to see an OC with a diversified background, i.e. programs with different geographies, conferences, resources, athletes, etc. One can then see if the OC has succeeded or failed, or improved upon the prior OC's work.

DCs are increasingly figuring out how to slow down (not STOP, that's virtually impossible) even the most aggressive spread, air raid (overused term), and uptempo offenses.

I don't recruit my OCs based on scheme, I would recruit on ability to adapt and implement, no matter what the personnel.

I'll add that I want my OC to have a record as a GA, QB coach, position coach, and then coordinator, ideally.

Advertisement
The key is to try to block 7 or 8 guys with 5 or 6 of our own.

Be a man.
The scary thing is people are dropping back 7 in coverage and we still can’t run consistently . The Ol pass blocks well but leaves a lot to be desired with the run game.

As much as we’ve been using 12 personnel you’d think we’d be doing better. I guess some people don’t understand you don’t need to stick your face in the fan every play to run. You can run out of 10-11 personnel occasionally but with an empty box. I know , I know that’s crazy.

Virginia ran safeties up late and we didn’t account for it. Looking back, the same game plan last week with the quick hitters outside would have been a good counter on first down.
It was almost bad that TVD had so much time to wait for his primary to get open. His checkdowns were open in the flat for the entire game. He wasted 4 seconds to even consider throwing it to them and it was too late by that point.

The scary thing is people are dropping back 7 in coverage and we still can’t run consistently . The Ol pass blocks well but leaves a lot to be desired with the run game.

As much as we’ve been using 12 personnel you’d think we’d be doing better. I guess some people don’t understand you don’t need to stick your face in the fan every play to run. You can run out of 10-11 personnel occasionally but with an empty box. I know , I know that’s crazy.
The D knows they don't have to account for the TE and RB. The DB and LB just wait and if the ball doesn't seem like it's going to the slot WR, they ignore their cover responsibility and crash down because most of the runs are up the middle. I'm not sure why we aren't trying to get to the outside more. Dawson's play calling has become very predictable.

Advertisement
But they aren’t loading the box. That’s what’s crazy. There’s normally 6-7 in the box and they’re dropping at the snap. We have the numbers advantages some plays and still can’t get consistent movement. The run gaje has been hit and cold which is weird.
Teams are basically daring us to run. You never see as much 2 high safety in college football as you do in a Miami game. Nobody is loading the box against us besides the Clemson game.

Advertisement
Gotta add this in our FYsiCAl run playsheet.

I mentioned this earlier to @PIPO . That’s self scouting , they run the qb sneak to death buy always have some action to use off it if they need a play. Washington sold out and we ran a sweep to the outside. Nice counter by Brian Johnson / Siriani. That’s why I wish we’d leak our rb’s or te’s out when they sell max protection. Delays would be automatic at this point.

The running scheme is terrible. The OL is clearly better but we struggle to run against FBS teams.
[BGCOLOR=initial]Take away that 80yd run from a WR and we didn't do so great against Clemson either. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]We aren't a good running team at all. [/BGCOLOR]
We ran well against Clemson in the fourth quarter and overtime, but you’re right that besides the 80 yarder we were pretty ineffective running in the first 3 quarters

Advertisement
Back