O-Line Good, RB's Good, Cannot Run the Ball. Explain it to Me.

It’s not the passing game. Our biggest issue in the running game is that our backs aren’t explosive. The oline consistently opens holes and our backs get into the second level but none have the speed or ability to break tackles for plays that would result in long runs. These are the longest runs of each of our RBs:

Allen - 26 (against UVA)
Chaney - 26 (against Bethune)
Fletcher - 26 (against Miami of Ohio)
Parrish - 37 (against Miami of Ohio)
The stats bear this out also, We are 3rd best in the nation with only 13.2% of our rushes being stuffed yet are 121st in Broken Tackle/Missed Tackle %. Our backs simply cannot break tackles or make people miss all that much. This was before yesterdays games numbers but it is clear on film and on paper.

Advertisement
Off topic, but I haven’t seen a Miami QB get the type of pass pro TVD has gotten for 20 years. C Young should be a having a year that would put him in the first two rounds of the draft. Total waste.
I watched some of the pass pro yesterday and some of our OL were actually bored because of how easy it was.

Watch the check down first down pass to McCormick on the third Q TD drive and you have Cohen and Lee on one DL and Cohen is just kind of standing there pushing the guy.

The stats bear this out also, We are 3rd best in the nation with only 13.2% of our rushes being stuffed yet are 121st in Broken Tackle/Missed Tackle %. Our backs simply cannot break tackles or make people miss all that much. This was before yesterdays games numbers but it is clear on film and on paper.

It's pretty hard to break tackles when you're one dimensional and outnumbered due to the play calling.

That's not an attack at your post, just stating we're playing into what the defense is showing presnap. Instead of exploiting their weaknesses, we play right into it.

Point blank, we play conservative as **** anymore.

It's pretty hard to break tackles when you're one dimensional and outnumbered due to the play calling.

That's not an attack at your post, just stating we're playing into what the defense is showing presnap. Instead of exploiting their weaknesses, we play right into it.

Point blank, we play conservative as **** anymore.
Well, we got to GRIIIIIIND IT OUT... TUFF N FIZICAL! Lets just line up and push them out the way, back to work!

Advertisement
I thought I saw a stat earlier about yards before contact? Anybody know how to look that up?

It’s been said but no team fears the passing game and selling out on the run. With no fear of the passing game, you basically eliminated the RPO. Add the fact that we can’t run read-option. With those type plays essentially removed from our playbook. We have made rushing the ball a lot harder.

It’s been said but no team fears the passing game and selling out on the run. With no fear of the passing game, you basically eliminated the RPO. Add the fact that we can’t run read-option. With those type plays essentially removed from our playbook. We have made rushing the ball a lot harder.

It also doesn’t help when the defense can confidently plan on not having to cover the TE

When we have been variable in blocking fronts we have been successful but too often fall into a few comfortable plays. Couple that with a shaky QB incapable of going vertical and not enough quick hitters to make them play more horizontal and you have heavy boxes that also cover your pass sets

Advertisement
I thought I saw a stat earlier about yards before contact? Anybody know how to look that up?
There are a couple you can find most likely on twitter. cfb film room has a link on theirs probably help with what you looking for

It also doesn’t help when the defense can confidently plan on not having to cover the TE

The way our QB has been reading defenses at the moment. Do you even trust him throwing to the TE? Might as well leave them blocking. Arroyo not being healthy also playing a major factor TE usage.

Two blatantly obvious facts are that we’re not very creative in the run game and our qb is a non threat so no one has to account for him on any level.
We pretty much run the same running schemes as everyone else. The difference is were too predictable as to when we run. U can’t run on 1st and second down on **** near every possession…. expecting to have success. We’re also being outnumbered in the box. Since our QB doesn’t scare anyone right now, teams are stacking the box on early downs, daring us to throw the ball. Add in a QB right now whose confidence is SHOOK, and seemingly seeing ghosts out there, and there you have it. A whole bunch of WTF?!

For all of you who think this is about scheme or some such other nonsense, just learn to count people in the box. If there are more defensive players than offensive players in the box, it is much harder to run.
So what to do when there are too many defensive players to run against? Pass the ball. BUT in our last 4 games we played with a true freshman QB and a guy who can’t read zone defenses and throws the ball to the other team; a lot. So until we can find an actual QB to lead this team, we will continue to have a hard time running the ball. This is true of every offense in college football.

BTW, we also won the last 2 games because by the end of the game, our Oline and RB’s had worn the other team down. This was true even against GTech.
In short, some of the unsuccessful runs early in the game will be successful later because we have such a deep pool of RB’s that we can always have someone fresh, and we have a great Oline.

Our running game is the absolute least of our worries
This is pretty much what I just posted. Straight facts.

Advertisement
In 3 of our last 4 games we played some of the worst rushing defenses in college football. We amassed the lowest number of yards all season for two of them and 2nd lowest for the other.

Ga Tech ranks 132nd in rush defense.

Louisville - 227 yards
South Carolina St - 196
Mississippi - 299
Wake - 224
Bowling Green - 175
Miami - 165
BC - 308
UNC - 267

UVA ranks 97th in rush defense.

Tennessee - 287
James Madison - 167
Maryland - 119
North Carolina St - 139
BC - 203
William & Mary - 143
UNC - 143
Miami - 113

UNC ranks 87th in rush defense.

South Carolina - (-2)
Appalachian St - 219
Minnesota - 170
Pitt - 113
Syracuse - 92
Miami - 91
UVA - 228
Ga Tech - 348

Somebody explain this s*** to me. Because it looks real bad.
That’s easy to explain they are daring us to throw and TVD is no good at selling water in the desert 🤣😂🤣. I’m not a coach or anything just a Cane-niac and I can tell when we are running when it’s a pass just by looking at TVD. If I can tell so does the opposition. Also the fact that have numerous injuries in RB room is not helping hopefully the offense get a few horses back for the next 4 games but mainly for the pieces of 💩💩💩💩 upstate.

We pretty much run the same running schemes as everyone else. The difference is we’re too predictable as to when we run. U can’t run on 1st and second down on **** near every possession…. expecting to have success. We’re also being outnumbered in the box. Since our QB doesn’t scare anyone right now, teams are stacking the box on early downs, daring us to throw the ball. Add in a QB right now whose confidence is SHOOK, and seemingly seeing ghosts out there, and there you have it. A whole bunch of WTF?
On Focking Point!!!!🙌🏾🇺🇸🙌🏾🇺🇸🙌🏾🇺🇸🙌🏾🇺🇸🙌🏾🇺🇸🙌🏾🇺🇸🙌🏾🇺🇸Blessings brother

Our RB's are pretty pedestrian, that's one factor. Never seen a whole group of RB's who go down on first contact like our guys. (not referring to the young RB's)

And we're getting stacked boxes, probably cause we ran the ball well earlier in the season. 🤷🏻‍♂️

When defenses stack the box that generally means 1-on-1 coverage on the outside. Gotta make'em pay.

Advertisement
Our RB's are pretty pedestrian, that's one factor. Never seen a whole group of RB's who go down on first contact like our guys. (not referring to the young RB's)

And we're getting stacked boxes, probably cause we ran the ball well earlier in the season. 🤷🏻‍♂️

When defenses stack the box that generally means 1-on-1 coverage on the outside. Gotta make'em pay.
This. I’ve been saying our RBs are not good. I don’t see explosiveness from any of them n don’t have speed except for CJ.

Its one thing for the rb room to be mid but bruh give the defense some eye candy, make them think before we just run right at them..This philosophy of we just bigger and stronger is outdated, we aren’t michigan..Even uva had some runs that made our guys hesitate a little, there is no guessing when and where we are running

In 3 of our last 4 games we played some of the worst rushing defenses in college football. We amassed the lowest number of yards all season for two of them and 2nd lowest for the other.

Ga Tech ranks 132nd in rush defense.

Louisville - 227 yards
South Carolina St - 196
Mississippi - 299
Wake - 224
Bowling Green - 175
Miami - 165
BC - 308
UNC - 267

UVA ranks 97th in rush defense.

Tennessee - 287
James Madison - 167
Maryland - 119
North Carolina St - 139
BC - 203
William & Mary - 143
UNC - 143
Miami - 113

UNC ranks 87th in rush defense.

South Carolina - (-2)
Appalachian St - 219
Minnesota - 170
Pitt - 113
Syracuse - 92
Miami - 91
UVA - 228
Ga Tech - 348

Somebody explain this s*** to me. Because it looks real bad.
Miami is more of a boring power run game. Miami's backs go down way too easy. Also no break away or home run threats from Parrish, Chaney, & Allen. 8 yards is a good run for Miami. Hopefully Fletcher Johnson and Citizen can change that. What is Miami's longest run of the season ? I bet its against a lesser opponent.

Advertisement
Back