O-Line Good, RB's Good, Cannot Run the Ball. Explain it to Me.

Short of a 35 year old Nick Saban (with the life experience of a 65 year old Nick Saban) rocking up in Coral Gables to coach this football team I genuinely don't know what would make some of you happy.
Insert gif of Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, coach prime, Butch Da Gaw, Lincoln Riley, Gruden, anyone else I’m missing lol

Advertisement
Miami is more of a boring power run game. Miami's backs go down way too easy. Also no break away or home run threats from Parrish, Chaney, & Allen. 8 yards is a good run for Miami. Hopefully Fletcher Johnson and Citizen can change that. What is Miami's longest run of the season ? I bet its against a lesser opponent.
We definitely need a home run hitter. I wish CJ jr would get more PT.

In 3 of our last 4 games we played some of the worst rushing defenses in college football. We amassed the lowest number of yards all season for two of them and 2nd lowest for the other.

Ga Tech ranks 132nd in rush defense.

Louisville - 227 yards
South Carolina St - 196
Mississippi - 299
Wake - 224
Bowling Green - 175
Miami - 165
BC - 308
UNC - 267

UVA ranks 97th in rush defense.

Tennessee - 287
James Madison - 167
Maryland - 119
North Carolina St - 139
BC - 203
William & Mary - 143
UNC - 143
Miami - 113

UNC ranks 87th in rush defense.

South Carolina - (-2)
Appalachian St - 219
Minnesota - 170
Pitt - 113
Syracuse - 92
Miami - 91
UVA - 228
Ga Tech - 348

Somebody explain this s*** to me. Because it looks real bad.

Let me help you understand football and talent.

1. Miami is running into 8 and 9 man boxes. At one point Virginia had 11 guys all within 5yds of the line of scrimmage
2. Clemson knew Miami wasn’t going to throw with Williams first start
3. Virginia wasn’t threatened by TVD
4. Multiple RB are out injured
5. Miami doesn’t have an NFL caliber RB on the roster
6. See 4 & 5. Parrish the starter has been out, Chaney is now out, Fletcher has been out. Miami was down to allen and a WR. What do you really expect when you put all that together?

I think there’s two primary reasons for the drop off. First, our RB room has been banged up lately(Parrish should be back soon, Fletcher is back, and maybe Citizen back soon?). No offense to Allen, but I just don’t think he’s that good of a back. Second, when your QB is struggling by throwing int’s and not pushing the ball downfield consistently defenses are going to start creeping closer and closer to the LOS.

Advertisement
In 3 of our last 4 games we played some of the worst rushing defenses in college football. We amassed the lowest number of yards all season for two of them and 2nd lowest for the other.

Ga Tech ranks 132nd in rush defense.

Louisville - 227 yards
South Carolina St - 196
Mississippi - 299
Wake - 224
Bowling Green - 175
Miami - 165
BC - 308
UNC - 267

UVA ranks 97th in rush defense.

Tennessee - 287
James Madison - 167
Maryland - 119
North Carolina St - 139
BC - 203
William & Mary - 143
UNC - 143
Miami - 113

UNC ranks 87th in rush defense.

South Carolina - (-2)
Appalachian St - 219
Minnesota - 170
Pitt - 113
Syracuse - 92
Miami - 91
UVA - 228
Ga Tech - 348

Somebody explain this s*** to me. Because it looks real bad.
Are run calls are pretty vanilla dive up the middle there’s no creativity in the running game

I'm mostly joking. However, you have to admit the offense has greatly regressed and not just because TVD has gone to.
****. I suspect it's Mario getting involved but hope I'm wrong.

Also, there are a lot of coaches between Mario and Saban so chill on that.
The “Saban line” is the one to go to when they don’t have an explanation for why the team under performs or when facts smack them in the face.

For all of you who think this is about scheme or some such other nonsense, just learn to count people in the box. If there are more defensive players than offensive players in the box, it is much harder to run.
So what to do when there are too many defensive players to run against? Pass the ball. BUT in our last 4 games we played with a true freshman QB and a guy who can’t read zone defenses and throws the ball to the other team; a lot. So until we can find an actual QB to lead this team, we will continue to have a hard time running the ball. This is true of every offense in college football.

BTW, we also won the last 2 games because by the end of the game, our Oline and RB’s had worn the other team down. This was true even against GTech.
In short, some of the unsuccessful runs early in the game will be successful later because we have such a deep pool of RB’s that we can always have someone fresh, and we have a great Oline.

Our running game is the absolute least of our worries
Our line and running backs are not only wearing down opponents but we are also wearing down our own running backs and Arroyo just got hurt again, run blocking because we don’t do a good job throwing to anyone!

Advertisement
It’ll always be hard to run bc defenses don’t respect our passing game so they load the box & rightfully so. Wouldn’t you as a DC load the box against us with X as our primary WR.

Our RB's are pretty pedestrian, that's one factor. Never seen a whole group of RB's who go down on first contact like our guys. (not referring to the young RB's)

And we're getting stacked boxes, probably cause we ran the ball well earlier in the season. 🤷🏻‍♂️

When defenses stack the box that generally means 1-on-1 coverage on the outside. Gotta make'em pay.
One on one coverage? What is that?

Hammer Floor GIF by VPRO

1698669498347.jpeg

Our RB's are pretty pedestrian, that's one factor. Never seen a whole group of RB's who go down on first contact like our guys. (not referring to the young RB's)

And we're getting stacked boxes, probably cause we ran the ball well earlier in the season. 🤷🏻‍♂️

When defenses stack the box that generally means 1-on-1 coverage on the outside. Gotta make'em pay.
Which is all Williams did when Dawson finally loosened the chains a little - two big shot plays to Young for a TD and a big conversion.

Miami is more of a boring power run game. Miami's backs go down way too easy. Also no break away or home run threats from Parrish, Chaney, & Allen. 8 yards is a good run for Miami. Hopefully Fletcher Johnson and Citizen can change that. What is Miami's longest run of the season ? I bet its against a lesser opponent.
I think Allen is being unfairly maligned here - I'd group him in with Fletcher, Johnson and Citizen.

Parrish is what he is - another Yearby and Chaney seems to have lost some burst with all of his injuries.

Advertisement

This X 100.....

Advertisement
Becasue all the handoffs come out of the shotgun with the RB standing still. There is no momentum going forward to cut and go

We need to get back to having a QB under center and handing the ball off to a RB already going down hill, think McGahee, Edgerrin, Portis etc

The film doesn't lie. Our tendencies have been schemed against us. When we run the ball, 8 defenders are coming down hill against 6.

It also comes down to the details as pointed out by Roman of the Orange Bowl Boys.

It comes down to the simplest details that makes the difference.

Roman points out how the UVA QB hands the ball off. In shotgun the same as TVD, but the UVA QB shows his back to the defense as he hands the ball off and carries out the play as though it is a play action pass. This causes the defense to hesitate where the UVA RBs had big runs as the defense is not sure who has the ball.

If we had better mechanics the way we hand the ball off where the QB shows his back, it would create hesitation by the defense which would spring our RBs instead of TFLs by the backside defender. It would also benefit the play action passing game.

After watching Roman and also Stevo's 365Review, I am finding Dawson's play selection as a major problem.

Maybe because of TVD's injuries, we are using a lot of max protection in the passing game. We are keeping the TE and RB in to block.

The defense is dropping 7 into coverage and we are sending 3 WRs against 7 defenders. The windows are very small and TVD is hesitating which shrinks the window even more.

These are very poor plays in my opinion for a QB who is struggling.

As Roman pointed out, our check downs are not QB friendly. The check downs are out at the flats just off the LoS out of the QB's view.

As Roman points out, we should send our RB short across the middle in front of the LB which would make it easier for the QB on the checkdown and also draw the LB in creating a bigger window to throw to the WR. Roman is great as he tells you what would work better and then shows you UVA doing exactly what he said for successful completions. You can see our defenders bite on the underneath RB creating a bigger window for the QB to throw.

After watching reviews by Roman and Stevo, I have a better idea that although TVD is making bad decisions, Dawson is handcuffing the offense purely in numbers and the check down routes are in bad locations.

I'm no offensive guru, but Roman and Stevo make it so easy that anyone can see where better check down routes are and less Max protect would benefit the offense greatly.

Dawson has to be better. He has to make in game route adjustments. Otherwise, there's just not many places to go with the football.

Last edited:
The film doesn't lie. Our tendencies have been schemed against us. When we run the ball, 8 defenders are coming down hill against 6.

It also comes down to the details as pointed out by Roman of the Orange Bowl Boys.

It comes down to the simplest details that makes the difference.

Roman points out how the UVA QB hands the ball off. In shotgun the same as TVD, but the UVA QB shows his back to the defense as he hands the ball off and carries out the play as though it is a play action pass. This causes the defense to hesitate where the UVA RBs had big runs as the defense is not sure who has the ball.

If we had better mechanics the way we hand the ball off where the QB shows his back, it would create hesitation by the defense which would spring our RBs instead of TFLs by the backside defender. It would also benefit the play action passing game.

After watching Roman and also Stevo's 365Review, I am finding Dawson's play selection as a major problem.

Maybe because of TVD's injuries, we are using a lot of max protection in the passing game. We are keeping the TE and RB in to block.

The defense is dropping 7 into coverage and we are sending 3 WRs against 7 defenders. The windows are very small and TVD is hesitating which shrinks the window even more.

These are very poor plays in my opinion for a QB who is struggling.

As Roman pointed out, our check downs are not QB friendly. The check downs are out at the flats just off the LoS out of the QB's view.

As Roman points out, we should send our RB short across the middle in front of the LB which would make it easier for the QB on the checkdown and also draw the LB in creating a bigger window to throw to the WR. Roman is great as he tells you what would work better and then shows you UVA doing exactly what he said for successful completions. You can see our defenders bite on the underneath RB creating a bigger window for the QB to throw.

After watching reviews by Roman and Stevo, I have a better idea that although TVD is making bad decisions, Dawson is handcuffing the offense purely in numbers and the check down routes are in bad locations.

I'm no offensive guru, but Roman and Stevo make it so easy that anyone can see where better check down routes are and less Max protect would benefit the offense greatly.

Dawson has to be better. He has to make in game route adjustments. Otherwise, there's just not many places to go with the football.
Mario is not gonna let Dawson not max protect.. even if only one guy is rushing lol..

Advertisement
Back