O-Line Good, RB's Good, Cannot Run the Ball. Explain it to Me.

LMAO. I started to re-watch the game now to count boxes and ran across this on 3rd and 1.

View attachment 263625

Talk about a dead play from the snap.

Seen some nice run blitzes already. Also, so far, have watched them copy a GT move of getting a Safety moving forward to fill off the snap.
One of the worst calls of the game.

Advertisement
LMAO. I started to re-watch the game now to count boxes and ran across this on 3rd and 1.

View attachment 263625

Seen some nice run blitzes already. Also, so far, have watched them copy a GT move of getting a Safety moving forward to fill off the snap.
Lmao. This is the **** that’s driving me crazy. As a D you better have that many in the box when you have all 11 offensive players jammed up

It’s a good point. I don’t want to just paint broad brush strokes but I find myself saying “that was close to a huge play” a lot

Like one missed tackle many times

Fletcher has had a couple plays where he made a guy miss, Allen obviously embarrassed one guy, but it’s our receivers at times too. Not consistently winning the one on one battles
Yup, need to start making those plays.

Advertisement
Qb play. Defenses know they can just play zone and keep everything in front of them and eventually TVD will make a mistake because he’s not willing to take the east stuff quickly. And once he does make that mistake he becomes a shell of himself and the deep ball is out of question the remainder of the game. And at that point it’s incredibly easy on a defense. Stop run and cover X in 3rd down.

I would also like to see more play action. Personally I also think we run far better out of pistol.

View attachment 263625

Jesus Christ! WTF is that??!! I don't think we saw that level of disrespect when Rosier was our QB.

Advertisement

View attachment 263625

This is the kind of play that a PA TE seam route would kill FSU with...

The film doesn't lie. Our tendencies have been schemed against us. When we run the ball, 8 defenders are coming down hill against 6.

It also comes down to the details as pointed out by Roman of the Orange Bowl Boys.

It comes down to the simplest details that makes the difference.

Roman points out how the UVA QB hands the ball off. In shotgun the same as TVD, but the UVA QB shows his back to the defense as he hands the ball off and carries out the play as though it is a play action pass. This causes the defense to hesitate where the UVA RBs had big runs as the defense is not sure who has the ball.

If we had better mechanics the way we hand the ball off where the QB shows his back, it would create hesitation by the defense which would spring our RBs instead of TFLs by the backside defender. It would also benefit the play action passing game.

After watching Roman and also Stevo's 365Review, I am finding Dawson's play selection as a major problem.

Maybe because of TVD's injuries, we are using a lot of max protection in the passing game. We are keeping the TE and RB in to block.

The defense is dropping 7 into coverage and we are sending 3 WRs against 7 defenders. The windows are very small and TVD is hesitating which shrinks the window even more.

These are very poor plays in my opinion for a QB who is struggling.

As Roman pointed out, our check downs are not QB friendly. The check downs are out at the flats just off the LoS out of the QB's view.

As Roman points out, we should send our RB short across the middle in front of the LB which would make it easier for the QB on the checkdown and also draw the LB in creating a bigger window to throw to the WR. Roman is great as he tells you what would work better and then shows you UVA doing exactly what he said for successful completions. You can see our defenders bite on the underneath RB creating a bigger window for the QB to throw.

After watching reviews by Roman and Stevo, I have a better idea that although TVD is making bad decisions, Dawson is handcuffing the offense purely in numbers and the check down routes are in bad locations.

I'm no offensive guru, but Roman and Stevo make it so easy that anyone can see where better check down routes are and less Max protect would benefit the offense greatly.

Dawson has to be better. He has to make in game route adjustments. Otherwise, there's just not many places to go with the football.
Exactly! I posted about Roman’s film review in one of the TVD threads.

@Cribby has been saying this too

TVD is dealing with Injuries AND an offense that has made his job harder. Dawson can do better- it helps EVERYONE

Fock Michigan. It was good for 9.5 wins a year for Michigan before they started cheating and they would always lose multiple games to inferior teams that way
Im just talking about their style of play lol

TVD is dealing with Injuries AND an offense that has made his job harder. Dawson can do better- it helps EVERYONE
I just don't understand how Dawson expects to complete a pass 3 on 7?

The RBs need to be running Texas Routes instead of sideline checkdowns where they're not in the QBs vision and don't stress the defense.

Advertisement
Qb play. Defenses know they can just play zone and keep everything in front of them and eventually TVD will make a mistake because he’s not willing to take the east stuff quickly. And once he does make that mistake he becomes a shell of himself and the deep ball is out of question the remainder of the game. And at that point it’s incredibly easy on a defense. Stop run and cover X in 3rd down.

I would also like to see more play action. Personally I also think we run far better out of pistol.
U are exactly right how our coaches don’t have quick game installed to break the zone. And what I mean is just throwing to the Rb quickly. Not like screens or tunnels to the WRs

But many will cry foul for you stating this.

I’ve said it til I’m blue in the face, and people still downvoting me and getting ****ed off.

Some will never learn.

In the coming weeks nobody will be downvoting you. I've seen this movie before. This is where our offense gets worst and worst as the season comes to an end. Last 2 weeks on offense felt exactly like the 2nd half of last season

That’s easy to explain they are daring us to throw and TVD is no good at selling water in the desert 🤣😂🤣. I’m not a coach or anything just a Cane-niac and I can tell when we are running when it’s a pass just by looking at TVD. If I can tell so does the opposition. Also the fact that have numerous injuries in RB room is not helping hopefully the offense get a few horses back for the next 4 games but mainly for the pieces of 💩💩💩💩 upstate.

So how does Wake Forest have 224 rushing yards on them? Its not like their QB is scaring anybody either. In fact a lot of those teams don't have QBs that are going to scare you. At least Boston College got a running QB so I can see how they went over 300 yards and UNC got Drake but a lot of those teams including Bowling Green got Qbs you dare to throw the ball

Advertisement
Miami is more of a boring power run game. Miami's backs go down way too easy. Also no break away or home run threats from Parrish, Chaney, & Allen. 8 yards is a good run for Miami. Hopefully Fletcher Johnson and Citizen can change that. What is Miami's longest run of the season ? I bet its against a lesser opponent.

To add that TVD is no threat to the defense is def one of the reasons but this is the number 1 answer. We do not have a breakaway running backs. Its a nice room of backs but its nothing special.

Roman video pretty interesting. I learned a lot from it. To see Virginia just drop 7 guys into zone gave me a headache trying to find any of our WR's getting open.

Simple. Run game is a numbers game. Overload 5-6 blockers with an extra safety and you have 7v5 or 6v5. Always an advantage.

Thats why I always say "pass dictates run" and not the other way around.

Advertisement
Back