Now what ?

Everyone talks the talent at Bama , but it’s far more than that. That culture and the business like approach of the program is insane. Just look at when a player does something dumb , they’re up three td’s yet his teammates holler at time or slap him on the helmet. When you have a culture like that the kids police the locker room . Miami was like that at one time, if you aren't carrying your weight or hurting the team you’d get your *** kicked. At Miami now a player messes up and he gets a hug or love from his teammates. Manny has built a fun culture vs a business like culture.
So true! Ample evidence of this in the days leading up to the game. Their star players all radio silent on social media, as opposed to our players being very active. Second, look at their demeanor entering the stadium and coming off the plane, suit and tie for every player and coach. All business. Last, our players celebrating a TFL down 27. Act like you’ve done it before. Bama players barely celebrate after non scoring big plays. I know it’s been said before but our players’ mentality is predicated on who we were, not who we are trying to be.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So Chase Smith & Leonard Taylor didn’t play one snap in the game? Is that correct? Who is responsible there? The head coach or the position coach? I just can’t understand how Jess Simpson or Manny Diaz wouldn’t put in those guys. #8 at LB for Bama is what I can envision Chase being. So I legit don’t know. Who makes that decision? No reason why #17, #44 continue to get reps & not Chase & LT not fitting in the rotation. Disciplinary reasons aside, I can’t understand it.

Our young guys look really really good at least. so thats a positive. I still think we beat every team we have left on our schedule
Those young guys will look like jags by year 3 until proven otherwise. That’s the issue with this program. The young guys are always the answer, but then our cancerous program touches them and it’s rinse and repeat

excellent points on Diaz, I would also add that we need a complete overhaul of S&C program. went to game with a buddy Alabama grad his comment you guys "Miami" aren't very physical. we lack explosive strength and it shows if we play a top notch outfit...... have not had explosive strength since Butch Davis... group left
Everything is a trade-off. But that offensive look essentially puts almost all the responsibility on the QB every play and I have trouble believing that's the way to go as the base of what you are trying to exploit. Ball control demands something else, as does a physical presence. The red zone is hard and kicking field goals, instead of TDs is the quickest way to get a loss.

Advertisement
I try not too over exaggerate with this stuff but I think both Tvd and Garcia can be good. I do think Garcia has potential to be a program changer type. People forget Clemson was recruiting in the top 10-16 range then got a once a decade qb, then won a natty. Once that happens things can change instantly. Landing one program changer at that position can instantly turn a program.
Agreed with the QB position; if we had someone with a little more talent under center it would change everything, and we need to see what Garcia has sooner than later but I know that's not this coaching staff's M.O.

I think the difference in coaching and resources is obviously much wider than the difference in talent, and i'm somewhat happy we got a strong dose of reality this early in our season. We should bring this experience with us to practice every day and kick everyone else's *** on the schedule.

Manny is not a championship coach and, much like Willie Taggart said, he got his dream job too soon. Blake is to blame for that and I think this is a clear example of the poor leadership top-down at the []__[]. President and AD need to go, because they're part of the culture at Miami that prevents us from competing at the highest levels. The []__[] needs someone like Alonzo in charge of Football/Athletics who knows what a championship program/organization looks like and can make decisions with a degree of objectivity.

I hope we go undefeated moving forward and look like a different football program, but I doubt that will happen with Manny making final decisions and King at QB; both really nice dudes but not the best we have to offer.

Those young guys will look like jags by year 3 until proven otherwise. That’s the issue with this program. The young guys are always the answer, but then our cancerous program touches them and it’s rinse and repeat
They should transfer before its too late.

Allowing Jeff Thomas back and not kicking a qb off that goes awol the day before a game isnt the way I’d build a culture. Jarren Williams gave zero ***** about football or winning, and didn’t hide it.

You let a kid back that was an issue his entire time here (JT) and flat out quit during the season. Then you come out after having a horrible season and blame the culture, and you’re trying to change it. No dude, you’re already creating one.

Allowing guys to make the same mistakes in games and not taking their pt isn’t having a culture. The kids love manny but don’t respect him, he’s the cool mom. That’s always been the issue with him.
We need a guy like Will muschamp. Muschamp paired with a spread system would be sick at Miami

Your point about King is spot on. All the teams that have beaten Bama in the last 4-5 years all had NFL-caliber passers. King doesn't scare anyone with his passing ability, but he'll look far better in ACC play. I think we can still win 10.

Advertisement
watched the game again.

Many people will disagree but everything is fixable. This year !

Bad play calling/game plan is fixable, easily actually

Tackling Fundamentals can be fixed, some will disagree

Players out of position, Thats why you coach all year, not just in camp

Play the right guys, another easy fix, it’s not hard

It all comes down to one thing , Coaching.

Manny is not dumb, I’m sure he sees all this. It’s up to him and his staff he hired to get on it and fix it.

This year , as the year progresses and if he dose not, if we do not see vast improvements as the year goes on,

Then Manny and his staff are not the right people for the job.
Like your optimism but what have you seen from in season Manny to make you believe he will fix it????

off season Manny is great. In season Manny not so much. Fingers crossed.

Coming into this game I said ten wins is what I expected , leaving the game nothing has changed. We went up in weight class and got smacked back down to where we came from. We‘re a light heavy weight that skipped cruiser weight . heavy weight and jumped to super heavyweight , then received the realistic result, knocked out with ease.

We faced a machine that has far better talent , coaching and culture. It’s a professional ran college program thats playing on a different level than anyone else. From the amount of money they spend in their program on down. That being said here’s what I saw.

Miami once again came out overwhelmed in a big moment , the staff and players couldn't handle the pressure of all the bright lights.

The tackling continues to be atrocious, just like last year we look lost in space.

We were very aggressive and brought 5, 6 and even seven guys but the blitzes are slow developing , obvious to everyone in the building because of zero disguise. Their qb was eating the pressures alive. They knew all the answers in pre snap.

Even though we ran more man we still didn’t allow our cb’s to use their hands like the talk had been, there was plenty of free release which will always put guys like Ivey at a disadvantage. Ts and Couch are easily the best cb’s.

Our front seven looked like a pac 12 defense versus Bama. We won’t be a big boy program until we get difference makers in the trenches.

Play calling on offense was atrocious early , another game where Lashlee came up small and coached scared. The slow developing runs leave me scratching my head, at this point he’s pretty good. Nothing more.

Going into this season I said the ol and de’s were my concern, well going forward I think the ol will be ok. They’re definitely better than last year. After Oluwaseun entered the game it was night and day difference, we had lanes and made pretty good pockets from the second quarter on. As for as Scaife goes , it’s over. He’s a backup and nothing more. As a whole the ol held up better than it did against some acc schools last year. I take that as one of the few positives.

I posted in spring Don was special, he’d ran away with the gig then he got hurt. He showed yesterday he’s a difference maker , he’s explosive and runs violent. Cam is what he is , a rotational guy, not a horse. I want to see more of Don ( we will), Rooster ( after suspension ) and eventually Brown. Cam has no lateral movement and goes down way too easy.

Wr’s were another positive , when given a chance they made plays , they were constantly running free in the secondary and we just couldn’t make them pay. Either the pocket broke down or king left early.

I love king but he’s limited as a passer. He still continues to cause some sacks scrambling , even if there’s a good pocket around him. He still has some of the same issues as last year.

Mallory still can’t block.

As for manny , we’re going into year three and that’s when I start coming to my full decision. What I know so far ? We show up flat most weeks, we don’t seem to be developing our recruits ,only the transfers seem to improve . We lack fundamentals and look like a badly coached team without discipline. At this point there’s no arguing this.

As I said earlier I still expect a positive season and this is a good team. There’s nobody we’ll face in the same stratosphere as Bama going forward , even Clemson. I saw enough of the o to think it’ll score a lot of points most weeks but will have issues against teams with better talent. So minus Clemson we’ll have the advantage on saturdays. If we can’t hit ten wins with this schedule there better be no extensions . That’ll make next year do or die.

The next few weeks will shed a good light on where manny and the program is headed , if we show up flat and uninspired like previous years after a loss then it’s safe to say we’re not improving , it’s just more of the same. If it’s the opposite then maybe things are going in the positive direction.

I try to be level headed and not too emotional on this stuff , that’s why I’m not taking too much from a game that nobody expected us to win, we were a 3 td dog. But I’m still not happy with things that continue to show up on Saturdays , issues we can’t seem to fix.

Now I’ll let everyone get back to losing their minds and talking Mannys replacement.
Thank god, there’s a start

Now what? buckle up, it will be a roller coaster ride. Won't be much different than last season. lots of close games, lots of drinking for us

Advertisement
Lashlee stinks. Anybody that has ever been around the game of football knows you don’t beat Alabama running right at them. You have to stretch them out. Period. Lashlee just is not the guy. He has an entire year to gameplan for this game & he was smashing Cam Harris into the backs of his own oline. I mean it was absolute insanity.
THIS. Anyone with common sense knew we would lose the game, but I was so disappointed in our gameplan. Running straight at Bama is insane. Like we've got the horses upfront to create lanes against Bama for a big bruiser RB who can drag 3 of their defenders on his way to the endzone... Our only hope was to line up 3 and 4 wide and try to slice up their defense with quick scores and get into a shoot out game. Not some **** ground, ball control game with Bama.

Horrible.

As I said in a separate thread, we don't have 12 guys on our entire roster who would make Bama's team. And we've got no one who'd be a starter. The talent disparity is that huge. Their S&C guys are incredible, and their coaching staff is light years ahead. Bama is a college all-pro team competing against everyone else.

Let's not kid ourselves. Manny's not the guy. Period. So the only question is how much longer do we keep him around. Problem is, unless we get much better support from the administration to get the re$ource$ needed to sign much better talent and hire much better coaches, it will be the same no matter who we bring in to roam the sidelines.

We are a JV team in comparison to Bama, but we've got more than enough to win the Coastal with no excuses. If Manny doesn't win the Coastal this year, I say cut the cord at season's end and move in a new direction.

excellent points on Diaz, I would also add that we need a complete overhaul of S&C program. went to game with a buddy Alabama grad his comment you guys "Miami" aren't very physical. we lack explosive strength and it shows if we play a top notch outfit...... have not had explosive strength since Butch Davis... group left
I think it's more of our mentality vs S&C. Physicality is more of a mindset rather than something you acquire in the weight room. We need to identify kids who like to hit and don't mind being hit, we lack too many of those types and it shows.

THIS. Anyone with common sense knew we would lose the game, but I was so disappointed in our gameplan. Running straight at Bama is insane. Like we've got the horses upfront to create lanes against Bama for a big bruiser RB who can drag 3 of their defenders on his way to the endzone... Our only hope was to line up 3 and 4 wide and try to slice up their defense with quick scores and get into a shoot out game. Not some **** ground, ball control game with Bama.

Horrible.

As I said in a separate thread, we don't have 12 guys on our entire roster who would make Bama's team. And we've got no one who'd be a starter. The talent disparity is that huge. Their S&C guys are incredible, and their coaching staff is light years ahead. Bama is a college all-pro team competing against everyone else.

Let's not kid ourselves. Manny's not the guy. Period. So the only question is how much longer do we keep him around. Problem is, unless we get much better support from the administration to get the re$ource$ needed to sign much better talent and hire much better coaches, it will be the same no matter who we bring in to roam the sidelines.

We are a JV team in comparison to Bama, but we've got more than enough to win the Coastal with no excuses. If Manny doesn't win the Coastal this year, I say cut the cord at season's end and move in a new direction.
I read the recap of his press conference in the Sun sentinel. Lashlee is saying that the game plan was not conservative and the issue was executing poorly. He cites an example of King misreading the field on a play where the correct read was a pass to Mallory that would hav e gone for about 20 yds. Instead he handed it off for a gain of one. He said there were other situations like that. He also alludes to being “out. Athleted” basically. He said the team was frustrated and King was not happy with his performance.

FWIW

Advertisement
watched the game again.

Many people will disagree but everything is fixable. This year !

Bad play calling/game plan is fixable, easily actually

Tackling Fundamentals can be fixed, some will disagree

Players out of position, Thats why you coach all year, not just in camp

Play the right guys, another easy fix, it’s not hard

It all comes down to one thing , Coaching.

Manny is not dumb, I’m sure he sees all this. It’s up to him and his staff he hired to get on it and fix it.

This year , as the year progresses and if he dose not, if we do not see vast improvements as the year goes on,

Then Manny and his staff are not the right people for the job.
Wash, rinse repeat.

Advertisement
Back