Now what ?

Cribby

All-American
Premium
Coming into this game I said ten wins is what I expected , leaving the game nothing has changed. We went up in weight class and got smacked back down to where we came from. We‘re a light heavy weight that skipped cruiser weight . heavy weight and jumped to super heavyweight , then received the realistic result, knocked out with ease.

We faced a machine that has far better talent , coaching and culture. It’s a professional ran college program thats playing on a different level than anyone else. From the amount of money they spend in their program on down. That being said here’s what I saw.

Miami once again came out overwhelmed in a big moment , the staff and players couldn't handle the pressure of all the bright lights.

The tackling continues to be atrocious, just like last year we look lost in space.

We were very aggressive and brought 5, 6 and even seven guys but the blitzes are slow developing , obvious to everyone in the building because of zero disguise. Their qb was eating the pressures alive. They knew all the answers in pre snap.

Even though we ran more man we still didn’t allow our cb’s to use their hands like the talk had been, there was plenty of free release which will always put guys like Ivey at a disadvantage. Ts and Couch are easily the best cb’s.

Our front seven looked like a pac 12 defense versus Bama. We won’t be a big boy program until we get difference makers in the trenches.

Play calling on offense was atrocious early , another game where Lashlee came up small and coached scared. The slow developing runs leave me scratching my head, at this point he’s pretty good. Nothing more.

Going into this season I said the ol and de’s were my concern, well going forward I think the ol will be ok. They’re definitely better than last year. After Oluwaseun entered the game it was night and day difference, we had lanes and made pretty good pockets from the second quarter on. As for as Scaife goes , it’s over. He’s a backup and nothing more. As a whole the ol held up better than it did against some acc schools last year. I take that as one of the few positives.

I posted in spring Don was special, he’d ran away with the gig then he got hurt. He showed yesterday he’s a difference maker , he’s explosive and runs violent. Cam is what he is , a rotational guy, not a horse. I want to see more of Don ( we will), Rooster ( after suspension ) and eventually Brown. Cam has no lateral movement and goes down way too easy.

Wr’s were another positive , when given a chance they made plays , they were constantly running free in the secondary and we just couldn’t make them pay. Either the pocket broke down or king left early.

I love king but he’s limited as a passer. He still continues to cause some sacks scrambling , even if there’s a good pocket around him. He still has some of the same issues as last year.

Mallory still can’t block.

As for manny , we’re going into year three and that’s when I start coming to my full decision. What I know so far ? We show up flat most weeks, we don’t seem to be developing our recruits ,only the transfers seem to improve . We lack fundamentals and look like a badly coached team without discipline. At this point there’s no arguing this.

As I said earlier I still expect a positive season and this is a good team. There’s nobody we’ll face in the same stratosphere as Bama going forward , even Clemson. I saw enough of the o to think it’ll score a lot of points most weeks but will have issues against teams with better talent. So minus Clemson we’ll have the advantage on saturdays. If we can’t hit ten wins with this schedule there better be no extensions . That’ll make next year do or die.

The next few weeks will shed a good light on where manny and the program is headed , if we show up flat and uninspired like previous years after a loss then it’s safe to say we’re not improving , it’s just more of the same. If it’s the opposite then maybe things are going in the positive direction.

I try to be level headed and not too emotional on this stuff , that’s why I’m not taking too much from a game that nobody expected us to win, we were a 3 td dog. But I’m still not happy with things that continue to show up on Saturdays , issues we can’t seem to fix.

Now I’ll let everyone get back to losing their minds and talking Mannys replacement.

Advertisement
Now what? Huge game vs App St. As has been the case for more than a decade, it's a needed win if we're to make a bowl this year. If we lose next week, Central Connecticut becomes a must win

Our O line was atrocious, especially starting out. Just fixing this one area would have made a huge difference.

Let me ask you about TVD. Everyone mentioned deer in the headlights, but coming in down 30 against the #1 team for your first snaps of the season can do that. Will he be shaken or will he come back stronger?

Advertisement
There is no difference between game 1 vs UF in 2019 and game 25 vs Bama in 2021. We look and do the exact same ****. Different offensive staff. Different defensive staff. Multiple prime transfers. Top 15 recruiting classes. Nothing. Has. Changed. He’s not the guy now or if we win against a ****** conference. I don’t care that Bama is a semi pro team. I though we would lose by 5 TDs. But we still look the same. And that’s the issue

Advertisement
Our O line was atrocious, especially starting out. Just fixing this one area would have made a huge difference.

Let me ask you about TVD. Everyone mentioned deer in the headlights, but coming in down 30 against the #1 team for your first snaps of the season can do that. Will he be shaken or will he come back stronger?
I try not too over exaggerate with this stuff but I think both Tvd and Garcia can be good. I do think Garcia has potential to be a program changer type. People forget Clemson was recruiting in the top 10-16 range then got a once a decade qb, then won a natty. Once that happens things can change instantly. Landing one program changer at that position can instantly turn a program.

I saw that Miami loves to work a lot out of 10 personnel. Even with Mallory in the game, he looked more like a receiver. If you want to play spread out of formations that really aren't going to let your offense play physically at the LOS, it's going to be hard to run the ball and show a balance that the defense will respect. When speed and space aren't working that's really all she wrote.

We've run a lot of 10 with Tua and it almost got our QB killed numerous times. It destroyed our downhill running and physicality. I just hate it as a base formation for the offense. It also messes with the defense, in that in practice that is what they line up against every day and that is what develops their muscle memory. Tight ends that can block and catch are getting more valuable in these spreads than gold. They are wonderful mismatches.

watched the game again.

Many people will disagree but everything is fixable. This year !

Bad play calling/game plan is fixable, easily actually

Tackling Fundamentals can be fixed, some will disagree

Players out of position, Thats why you coach all year, not just in camp

Play the right guys, another easy fix, it’s not hard

It all comes down to one thing , Coaching.

Manny is not dumb, I’m sure he sees all this. It’s up to him and his staff he hired to get on it and fix it.

This year , as the year progresses and if he dose not, if we do not see vast improvements as the year goes on,

Then Manny and his staff are not the right people for the job.

Advertisement
Doesn’t matter, because Miami has the worst AD in the country and I don’t believe it’s close.

But, to play along, Manny should be fired unless he wins out and the team is competitive in the ACCCG and bowl.

Ultimately, I don’t think Miami will ever return to the elite unless some real sponsors get behind the program. We just can’t compete up front with the big boys. It costs money to do that — a lot, every year.

There is no difference between game 1 vs UF in 2019 and game 25 vs Bama in 2021. We look and do the exact same ****. Different offensive staff. Different defensive staff. Multiple prime transfers. Top 15 recruiting classes. Nothing. Has. Changed. He’s not the guy now or if we win against a ****** conference. I don’t care that Bama is a semi pro team. I though we would lose by 5 TDs. But we still look the same. And that’s the issue
I look at it as 6-7, 8-3 and whats next? The hire was bad, we all knew that. But I’m not coming to a decision off of two years and bama , I want to see this year finish then I’ll be sure.

I said when we hired manny it was a lazy hire, a typical um hiring. Manny would now have to learn on the job and Miami isn’t a place where you do that.

Regardless of what happen going forward I’ll always say “ manny didn’t hire himself “. If he fails it’s merely a symptom of the disease.

invest Coral Gables and it’s soul on the trenches … we need big dogs and we don’t have them.
OL #1 priority now and always will
Keep Kelly and Shemar in the Gables
get two more war daddys at DT to go along LT
Keep the DB recruiting class intact ..we need them all
recruit UM LBs .. size/speed
Keep GARCIA ANS BROWN at all cost.. we could hit gold with those two

HUGE UPGRADE COACH AND OC!.. to lead and develop above talent

of course we need total commitment from the university and the AD WHICH WE DONT HAVE IT AS OF NOW

Advertisement
Coming into this game I said ten wins is what I expected , leaving the game nothing has changed. We went up in weight class and got smacked back down to where we came from. We‘re a light heavy weight that skipped cruiser weight . heavy weight and jumped to super heavyweight , then received the realistic result, knocked out with ease.

We faced a machine that has far better talent , coaching and culture. It’s a professional ran college program thats playing on a different level than anyone else. From the amount of money they spend in their program on down. That being said here’s what I saw.

Miami once again came out overwhelmed in a big moment , the staff and players couldn't handle the pressure of all the bright lights.

The tackling continues to be atrocious, just like last year we look lost in space.

We were very aggressive and brought 5, 6 and even seven guys but the blitzes are slow developing , obvious to everyone in the building because of zero disguise. Their qb was eating the pressures alive. They knew all the answers in pre snap.

Even though we ran more man we still didn’t allow our cb’s to use their hands like the talk had been, there was plenty of free release which will always put guys like Ivey at a disadvantage. Ts and Couch are easily the best cb’s.

Our front seven looked like a pac 12 defense versus Bama. We won’t be a big boy program until we get difference makers in the trenches.

Play calling on offense was atrocious early , another game where Lashlee came up small and coached scared. The slow developing runs leave me scratching my head, at this point he’s pretty good. Nothing more.

Going into this season I said the ol and de’s were my concern, well going forward I think the ol will be ok. They’re definitely better than last year. After Oluwaseun entered the game it was night and day difference, we had lanes and made pretty good pockets from the second quarter on. As for as Scaife goes , it’s over. He’s a backup and nothing more. As a whole the ol held up better than it did against some acc schools last year. I take that as one of the few positives.

I posted in spring Don was special, he’d ran away with the gig then he got hurt. He showed yesterday he’s a difference maker , he’s explosive and runs violent. Cam is what he is , a rotational guy, not a horse. I want to see more of Don ( we will), Rooster ( after suspension ) and eventually Brown. Cam has no lateral movement and goes down way too easy.

Wr’s were another positive , when given a chance they made plays , they were constantly running free in the secondary and we just couldn’t make them pay. Either the pocket broke down or king left early.

I love king but he’s limited as a passer. He still continues to cause some sacks scrambling , even if there’s a good pocket around him. He still has some of the same issues as last year.

As for manny , we’re going into year three and that’s when I start coming to my full decision. What I know so far ? We show up flat most weeks, we don’t seem to be developing our recruits ,only the transfers seem to improve . We lack fundamentals and look like a badly coached team without discipline. At this point there’s no arguing this.

As I said earlier I still expect a positive season and this is a good team. There’s nobody we’ll face in the same stratosphere as Bama going forward , even Clemson. I saw enough of the o to think it’ll score a lot of points most weeks but will have issues against teams with better talent. So minus Clemson we’ll have the advantage on saturdays. If we can’t hit ten wins with this schedule there better be no extensions . That’ll make next year do or die.

The next few weeks will shed a good light on where manny and the program is headed , if we show up flat and uninspired like previous years after a loss then it’s safe to say we’re not improving , it’s just more of the same. If it’s the opposite then maybe things are going in the positive direction.

I try to be level headed and not too emotional on this stuff , that’s why I’m not taking too much from a game that nobody expected us to win, we were a 3 td dog. But I’m still not happy with things that continue to show up on Saturdays , issues we can’t seem to fix.

Now I’ll let everyone get back to losing their minds and talking Mannys replacement.
Only thing I disagree with is that we don't develop our recruits.

I'd argue the problem is we seem to keep putting 'veteran' guys in the lineup that we all knew weren't it two seasons ago - Jennings, Harris et al. There's a whole list of players that I could reel off that have improved under this regime.

I agree though, I'm a big Diaz supporter (better the devil you know and he's improved the structure / team every year and clearly tries to learn from his mistakes), but it's the ACC Coastal and 19-0 wins or time to start looking elsewhere. At some point you have to deliver big on the field or you're never going to take that next step as a coach / program.

we were Bob Foster( an all-time great light heavyweight) going up to heavyweight -- with similar results. Great analogy Cribby

Outside of the game yesterday the rest of the games we won't have any issues. In recruiting if the player can't help you beat Ohio State, Clemson or Alabama we need to not take the commitment.
You're going to be playing a lot of walk ons.

That's not the answer. The answer is to start winning the ACC Coastal and get incrementally better each year. There's still a draw with Miami. We got a couple of 5 stars last year - it was the best recruiting class we've had in a long while (Diaz can recruit). If you start giving them a reason to stay home, beyond "put on for this crib" then you'll start closing the gap.

Great analysis, read and post. Agree with the notion of no extension if less than 10 wins this year. Truthfully, if we did extend, it would have to be with a very modest buyout or we tell Manny to FVCK OFF

Advertisement
Back