Now that some of the Portal news is out of the bag

It seems that whoever the choice is, there will be a lot of disappointed Canes fans. Reading the board the past couple of days and there is ZERO consensus on who the best choice is

Gonna be an interesting portal season!

Advertisement

Will Howard has Shannon Dawson written all over him, Howard is very similar to Clayton Tune.

Between Dawson's lack of creativity and Mario's desire to by phsycial / run on 4th and 2 everytime, a dual threat tough kid like Howard would be a difference maker. 1st and goal from the 4 with Howard vs. TVD - we may actually score.

We have had contact with Will Howard, Cam Ward and Dillon Gabriel. Dawson visited Howard last week in Kansas. Don’t think we will go after Rogers from Mississippi State.

If Michael Pratt enters the Portal or Taulia Tagavoila gets a 6th year/enters the Portal, I would expect us to have significant interest in both.
Cam Ward or Dillon Gabriel
everyone else

We have had contact with Will Howard, Cam Ward and Dillon Gabriel. Dawson visited Howard last week in Kansas. Don’t think we will go after Rogers from Mississippi State.

If Michael Pratt enters the Portal or Taulia Tagavoila gets a 6th year/enters the Portal, I would expect us to have significant interest in both.

No Dante Moore?

Lot of people hyping up Cam Ward but don't want to mention that he's fumbled 31 times in the last 3 years and lost 14 of them.

15 total turnovers this season.

Pass. Good arm talent but something is lacking with those trends in ball security. Miami isn't winning 10 games on the back of someone that loses the ball half the time he's touched.

For comparison - Gabriel has 20 fumbles in 5 years and lost 8 of them. Only lost 2 this year.
3rd most fumbles in the country (all players not just QBs), top 10 in “turnover worthy throws”, and top 10 in “QB responsible pressures”. Incredible arm and a lot of flash, will raise the level of a bad team and make them competitive, but will also prevent a good team from being great imo. Possibly the highest ceiling but also a much lower floor than Howard, Gabriel, Pratt etc

Advertisement
Lot of people hyping up Cam Ward but don't want to mention that he's fumbled 31 times in the last 3 years and lost 14 of them.

15 total turnovers this season.

Pass. Good arm talent but something is lacking with those trends in ball security. Miami isn't winning 10 games on the back of someone that loses the ball half the time he's touched.

For comparison - Gabriel has 20 fumbles in 5 years and lost 8 of them. Only lost 2 this year.

he also scrambles directly into sacks and has 120 rushes for a net of 121 yards

his lack of pocket awareness completely erases any positives from his scrambling ability

don't get me wrong the ceiling is higher with ward, but the floor is lower too

It seems that whoever the choice is, there will be a lot of disappointed Canes fans. Reading the board the past couple of days and there is ZERO consensus on who the best choice is

100% but exciting part is every QB name listed here can get us 9-10 wins next year, especially with our ****** schedule.

Advertisement

Will Howard has Shannon Dawson written all over him, Howard is very similar to Clayton Tune.

some on here don't like him, but he would be an improvement. can throw downfield over the middle. can scoot but knows he aint the fastest so the angles he takes on his runs create for more yardage on his runs. can improvise and move out the pocket (HELLO). has won big games. talks some **** and plays with some fire.

again, not super flashy, but he would be good get.

Yup. There are some good QBs out there but at the end of the day, they're still College QBs. They're young, they're flawed, and they're undeveloped.

From the looks of it, we could get Caleb Williams in the portal and people would still find a way to be p*ssed.

I get where most people are coming from though. With that said, I see no issues with calling out the negatives as long as they recognize there is not truly perfect QB out there that we're going to find.

Advertisement
It is very confusing if 2020 had Redshirts or not since everyone was given another year.

2019-Bama did not RS
2020-Covid-Soph
2021-Soph
2022-Jr
2023-Sr

Since he did not Redshirt, I do not see how he has another year left.

Agree. They would have to count 19 as a RS year.

some on here don't like him, but he would be an improvement. can throw downfield over the middle. can scoot but knows he aint the fastest so the angles he takes on his runs create for more yardage on his runs. can improvise and move out the pocket (HELLO). has won big games. talks some **** and plays with some fire.

again, not super flashy, but he would be good get.
I think some people need to realize a lot of blue chip programs are QB hunting in the portal right now and we do not have our pick of the liter. The goal is to come out of the Portal with a quality starting QB who can lead us and win games, Howard would be that.

Advertisement
I really don't see us getting any of those guys.

There's other teams that are in need of a portal QB that are way more desirable and lucrative options. Oregon, Ohio State...

I'm curious to see the Plan B list and the Plan C list.

Advertisement
Back