Notre Dame

Trade in Michigan state for lame? Yes please. I feel like geographically lame doesn’t make sense for the ACC. Feel like the big ten makes more sense for them. Kick out Illinois or something and make them be in the big ten

Advertisement
Believe it or not, ND views Miami as a really important "ally" in college sports (which makes sense, seeing as both are private, smaller than the gigantic land grant state colleges, etc.), and want Miami on the schedule because of the profile exposure the Canes provides to ND. Most Domers I know are very protective of the rivalry between the two schools and see it as something that should be protected over the other, more traditional rivalries (Navy, Stanford, etc.). And their current staff has tried emphasizing recruiting FL and the Atlantic Coast, rather than focusing on CA and TX like previous staffs, so regularly scheduled games against Miami is attractive to them.

If push came to shove, and the football program had to choose, there's no doubt that the ACC is ND's best option. There are far more schools it shares similarities with in terms of size, academics, and being private institutions (Miami, Duke, Wake, BC) and the rivalries are already there (Canes, FSU, BC) that it would be a pretty seamless transition.
That’s your fantasy and you’re welcome to it, but their private ally is more likely USC. that mythical “protection” you boast of is the reason they Miami circuits on and OFF their schedule? Michigan, a more culturally similar school in terms of football, also gets dumped from time to time. It’s not like the big House won’t fill without them. Michigan is idiotic to want to play them.

Oregon and the Big 12’s attention in South Florida is because they also want to play Florida teams and Miami?

Push comes to shove the Independent Indiana School is a more natural fit for the B1G. It’s obvious and everyone knows it. Only the B1G is a real conference that matters, and would never let them in while they keep their football money. ACC is just a **** conference.

Choke those ****ers out of college football.

That’s your fantasy and you’re welcome to it, but their private ally is more likely USC. that mythical “protection” you boast of is the reason they Miami circuits on and OFF their schedule? Michigan, a more culturally similar school in terms of football, also gets dumped from time to time. It’s not like the big House won’t fill without them. Michigan is idiotic to want to play them.

It's really not a fantasy. Married to a Domer undergrad/IU post-grad, and it comes up frequently.

Push comes to shove the Independent Indiana School is a more natural fit for the B1G. It’s obvious and everyone knows it. Only the B1G is a real conference that matters, and would never let them in while they keep their football money. ACC is just a **** conference.

They're not. The Big 10 are all massive state schools; the ACC is not, and the smaller private schools fit the conference profile better than the Big 10 ever would - which is why ND has aligned themselves with the ACC, and why this is the conference they'll join if their hand is forced.

Advertisement
Advertisement
DAA078DA-50B0-42C3-8EF6-69723E3A1EAC.png

For years I've heard the expression "any team, any time any place"...and now we have fans refusing to play ND?

I don't think anyone is "refusing to play NLame." I think some intelligent people are recognizing the unprecedented bargaining leverage the ACC has over NLame right now, and taking a "join the ACC or die alone... there is no middle ground" approach.

Personally, if NLame wants to join as full-fledged members and share in the profits like the rest of the ACC, I'm good with that. If NLame wants to try to survive on their own and perish, I'm good with that, too. What I am not good with is the ACC continuing to do back flips for NLame and allowing them to continue to have their cake and eat it, too.

Also, never forget that Rudy participated in a pump-and-dump stock scheme and was an SEC fraudster who had to pay nearly $400K in restitution to avoid federal prison. When it comes to NLame, Catholics = Convicts.

Advertisement
I think the optics of having one team travel basically as far as an ACC team can travel for a football game might impede that matchup. Again, the optics.
Trade in Michigan state for lame? Yes please. I feel like geographically lame doesn’t make sense for the ACC. Feel like the big ten makes more sense for them. Kick out Illinois or something and make them be in the big ten
So Syracuse, Pitt and BC aren’t just as far if not farther?

It's really not a fantasy. Married to a Domer undergrad/IU post-grad, and it comes up frequently.

They're not. The Big 10 are all massive state schools; the ACC is not, and the smaller private schools fit the conference profile better than the Big 10 ever would - which is why ND has aligned themselves with the ACC, and why this is the conference they'll join if their hand is forced.
They’re not in the ACC because that was their first pick, they’re in the ACC because no other POWER conference was going for that arrangement. ACC desperately took them to legitimize the ACC; it reared of weakness then and it still does - your marital conversations notwithstanding.

They would be the south of Chicago version of Northwestern (similar undergrad size and endowment). There’s a reason the B1G has 15 teams and there’s a reason that they’re contract was written that if they join a conference BEFORE a certain date that it has to be the ACC. After that date, they can do anything with no penalty. Their savings from travel costs over a 10 year period alone, for all of their teams, would probably pay the exit fee.

ACC is a placeholder until their hand is forced.

(btw, that “smaller, private school” argument didn’t help Miami the first time the ACC expanded)

For years I've heard the expression "any team, any time any place"...and now we have fans refusing to play ND?
Why them?

Why not…****, I don’t know…
- Auburn
- Oregon
- Oklahoma
- UGA
- Texas
- USC
- Stanford
- Michigan
- PSU

the list is long (Alabama, TXA&M are already on schedule)

there are any number of teams that are better fits for the “any time, any place” category than them. It always amazing to me that Miami has fans that think that’s a matchup worth having when THEY dictate when they’ll even play.

Advertisement
It always amazing to me that Miami has fans that think that’s a matchup worth having when THEY dictate when they’ll even play.

NLame may be the most entitled franchise/fanbase in all of collegiate athletics. And many other fans (not just UM fans, but especially UM fans) play right into that sense of entitlement and reward the attention-seeking behavior of these fraudster-idolizing whiners.

NLame may be the most entitled franchise/fanbase in all of collegiate athletics. And many other fans (not just UM fans, but especially UM fans) play right into that sense of entitlement and reward the attention-seeking behavior of these fraudster-idolizing whiners.
YOU NAILED IT!

These Miami “fans” are bolstering the Independent Indiana Team’s brand ahead of Miami’s, yet they’re “Canes fans”.

Perhaps you are right. I'm just thinking its a match up that the ACC might wanna cherry pick with fans not being in the stands, tv ratings might be a factor... I guess they could add Syracuse & Pitt to their schedule too, we shall see.

ND sure would be nice. But from a 30k ft view, this is the year to have a powder puff schedule, win as many as you can, show recruits its turned around, and play for the future.

Why do you think would they block UCF?

in state team
hurts the academic rep of the ACC (tho its not like some schools of lower quality)
and for the simple fact that it adds credibility to a state school that has a massive student pop and is trending away from a commuter school to a more traditional state school. UCF In a p5 wouldn't do any of the big 3 any favors imo.

Advertisement
Back