Not so positive news

Advertisement
I was an RB and can’t recall one time lowering one shoulder to deliver a blow or to bulldoze a would be tackler. I would keep my head up, lower both shoulders, wrap both arms around the ball, and run through and over a tackler. I believe this is a technique that can be taught and learned fairly easy.
Chaney definitely ran through contact last year and used his shoulders successfully. Think of some of the hard runs v FSU. But maybe that short term success is taking its toll. He seems very bright and his dad is a coach so if anyone can adjust running style it is Chaney.

Was it Miller who had a nagging shoulder injury that the board once thought would cost his careers tone point? Chaney had a shoulder issue in high school, issues with it last year and now a néw one?

Don doesn’t miss games....so I wouldn’t use the prone word

Prone doesn't have anything to do with him playing through injury. He's consistently injured - I don't think having the opinion of him being injury prone is crazy.

Prone doesn't have anything to do with him playing through injury. He's consistently injured - I don't think having the opinion of him being injury prone is crazy.
Well we’ll just disagree on that one.

He’s missing no games ( so far) , that’s not injury prone in my world. Availability is the most important ability. And he’s always available. He wasn’t banged up or playing thru injuries during last season.

Advertisement
Chaney will be back by fall and will be the starter game 1.
Only if something happens to Harris. He came back for a reason. He would’ve left like Homer and Dallas if he thought he’d be coming off the bench. Harris has been the most talented back on the roster for a while. While Chaney has a bigger upside he’s not as seasoned and still learning. Unfortunately for Harris, he’s had just as many big plays called back as he’s made. That’s why people are always looking for next man up.
Lashlee admitted the offense was better at the beginning of the season when one back was getting more carries. That was Harris.

Only if something happens to Harris. He came back for a reason. He would’ve left like Homer and Dallas if he thought he’d be coming off the bench. Harris has been the most talented back on the roster for a while. While Chaney has a bigger upside he’s not as seasoned and still learning. Unfortunately for Harris, he’s had just as many big plays called back as he’s made. That’s why people are always looking for next man up.
Lashlee admitted the offense was better at the beginning of the season when one back was getting more carries. That was Harris.
If this injury doesn’t happen we’d be having a different conversation , we brought in brown for a reason, I hinted at why when we took a second back. And cam wasn’t the best rb after the half way point. There’s a reason Chaney started taking his snaps and he got butt hurt about it.

Fact is Don showed up as a Fr with no off-season training , rehabbing after surgery and still was getting big boy snaps. It’s actually pretty crazy he did that without any offseason. People forget this.

Don Chaney hype is real enough that the Cam Harris transfer rumors grew some legs. If Chaney's back taking first-team reps heading into Bama, Harris is going to have a hard decision on his hands. The fact the NCAA hasn't addressed the portal scholarship issue may have been our saving grace up to now.
Dont think Don Chaney would be a reason if Cam Harris transfered

Not worried. Chaney will get his time to shine. He’s obviously the most physically gifted back. That being said, we’ve got Harris who’s a pretty complete back. He was going to be the bell cow all along. Add in the shifty Knighton. Then we’ve got two grown man child bruisers coming this fall. The RB room is the least of our worries. Don needs to take his time to get right.
Hope Chaney does not get lost in the room.
A lot of talent waiting to explode in that room.
Easy to get lost in the shuffle.
Patience is hard when you are competing head to head.

Advertisement
Well we’ll just disagree on that one.

He’s missing no games ( so far) , that’s not injury prone in my world. Availability is the most important ability. And he’s always available. He wasn’t banged up or playing thru injuries during last season.

In my book you're talking about tough vs injury prone. I know players always have some kind of issue, minor as it may be and I feel that's where you're coming from. But he was literally pulled from a game last year for a shoulder issue and he's had shoulder issues since HS, now apparently in his other one.

I realize it's not career ending and maybe not even a huge concern at the end of the day. I'm just saying that expressing he's injury prone at this point in his career isn't crazy.

"Running back Don Chaney Jr. had shoulder surgery in the offseason and it has bothered him at times during his freshman season.

Chaney was limited to three carries for 14 yards on the first drive of the game against NC State and did not have another carry the rest of the way in Miami's 44-41 win.

"You saw Don get in there early and the plan was for him to play obviously quite a bit," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. "I don't think it's anything major. He just took a little hit and was not quite 100 percent. Obviously Cam (Harris) and Rooster (Jaylan Knighton) were able to step up for us."

I hope to see him vs BAMA as RB1, with Cam #2 and Knighton utilized all over the field.

Advertisement
Was it Miller who had a nagging shoulder injury that the board once thought would cost his careers tone point? Chaney had a shoulder issue in high school, issues with it last year and now a néw one?

Yes.

LOL, most football players are consistently injured if they play. it’s just whether they tell you, and whether that injury forces them out of the game.

I know Cribby won’t say for obvious reasons, but is any surgery needed? Will he be participating in summer workouts?

Advertisement
I laughed hard. You know that one laugh where it's like you're singing baritone and it's coming from your stomach and you're trying not to embarrass yourself in public in a predominantly white establishment in Johnson County, Kansas? Yeah, you got me to laugh like that.
All of Johnson County Kansas places rock. Never see a Black baritone there, though....

I like Harris but Chaney was becoming a horse towards the end of last year. He will win the spot IMO.

Advertisement
Back