Not exactly glowing words about Allison from Richt

"To be fair, Miami planned to redshirt Allison this year, with the thought he would take over for Kaaya in 2017 or 2018. And he did show improvement this fall, according to coaches (he won a pair of scout-team player of the week awards)."

Advertisement
This was the most interesting comment to me:

“The thing is, when you play with a veteran quarterback when you’re a freshman, you might not have a veteran quarterback when it means the most to you in your career,” he said.

“More than likely, there’s a good chance that whoever gets the job can grow with whoever comes in as a receiver.”

Read into that what you will.

I read this as "allison, weldon, or perry more than likely will be the starter next year."

Last edited by a moderator:

“The thing is, when you play with a veteran quarterback when you’re a freshman, you might not have a veteran quarterback when it means the most to you in your career,” he said.

“More than likely, there’s a good chance that whoever gets the job can grow with whoever comes in as a receiver.”

I'll read into it that he was specifically talking about the loss of Kaaya who would have only played with new WRs for 1 year max.

Then why would he say "More than likely, there's a good chance that whoever gets the job can grow with whoever comes in as a receiver"? That assumes that a veteran could win the job, and Rosier's the most veteran guy.

If he was just talking about losing Kaaya, he would've said "Whoever gets the job can grow with whoever comes in as a receiver."

This most likely is an example of Allison not being his guy. Sometimes talented players get passed up for dumb politics. Just a guess

Saw this in the article as well:

Richt said two players who were considering transferring, running back Gus Edwards and defensive tackle Courtel Jenkins, “haven’t said anything to me. … I’m not saying they’re not considering it, but neither one has come to me with anything.”

I hope Jenkins stays. We need him in the rotation.

Advertisement

I read this as "allison, weldon, or perry more than likely will be the starter next year."

Same, more Than anything not rozier

I'll read into it that he was specifically talking about the loss of Kaaya who would have only played with new WRs for 1 year max.

Then why would he say "More than likely, there's a good chance that whoever gets the job can grow with whoever comes in as a receiver"? That assumes that a veteran could win the job, and Rosier's the most veteran guy.

If he was just talking about losing Kaaya, he would've said "Whoever gets the job can grow with whoever comes in as a receiver."

"More than likely" Richt wants Perry to win the job. We all get that. But "more than likely", he won't. If one of the young guns is the best Qb, great, but this team (mainly front 7 and with its schedule) is poised to do big things next year. If the job goes to the less than best Qb and we lose games because of it, I will buy the **** plane and fly it everyday myself(not more than likely :peaceful:).

I keep telling you guys, Shirreffs has a great chance to win the starting job. He is smart, accurate, knows the whole offense, and is not completely immobile like Kaaya. If his arm strength has improved at all, I really like his chances.

CIS setting Perry up to gag out on a giganto **** sandwich. How many freshmans QBs have come in 3 months before the season started and had major success?

Unless he's an absolute QB savant who can learn an offense in no time we won't see him starting the season as the guy. He's not a good enough runner like Jackson or Hurts to just throw him out there to play scramble ball.

You're basically looking to give away a few games if you start this guy game 1.

That's true, but the saving grace is the schedule is so bad early, that we can win games without him being special. I wouldn't be surprised if he started.

Advertisement
I see a 4-headed monster with Allison, Rosier, Perry and Sherriffs, plus a healthy dose of Walton in the Walt-Cat.

Dumbass ACC won't know what hit 'em.

He made it clear that Allison, last year’s top recruit, “had every opportunity” to win the backup job last year in camp and didn’t.

“We weren’t going to sit here and say, ‘He’s trying to beat out Brad,’ because that’s not a realistic thing to say,” Richt said. “But there was a battle for second team, and he was in town. … It’s been a full year now. He knows a lot more about the system, and he knows there’s a lot more at stake. I’m expecting him to compete.”

Mark Richt reviews 2016, previews Miami Hurricanes’ QB battle, recruiting | Canes Watch

Why would he sunshine pump 1 QB when he clearly wants a competition.

Exactly. Rick is just setting up the competition and insulating himself for the appearance of early preference or impartiality. You guys have to stop thinking these coaches are always covertly venting their true feelings through comments to the media- expecially this far out from naming a starter.

You nailed it Sir!

Rozier should have the distinct advantage..........what is he doing that hinders his advancement to step in and take over the QB spot?

Why would Rozier have any advantage over Jack? They have been in Richt's system for the same length of time. If Rozier gets the job its because he straight up beat out Jack and the freshmen (or "Freshmens" as Shannon would say).

Advertisement
CIS setting Perry up to gag out on a giganto **** sandwich. How many freshmans QBs have come in 3 months before the season started and had major success?

Unless he's an absolute QB savant who can learn an offense in no time we won't see him starting the season as the guy. He's not a good enough runner like Jackson or Hurts to just throw him out there to play scramble ball.

You're basically looking to give away a few games if you start this guy game 1.

Management is busy converting the Kaaya hype train to the Perry hype train as we speak.....

Well, mathematically he's correct. If you have 2 Freshmen and 2 Sophomores, with Rosier the only RS Junior, then 4 out of 5 guys or 80% of the competitors have a chance of starting. That doesn't mean Rosier isn't in the best position to start.

In 2014, we had a pot-smoking transfer, a weak-armed senior with a torn ACL, and a midget grad transfer in Heaps. Kaaya was anointed before he got on campus given that competition. It's just not the same this time around. I wouldn't be shocked if Perry is worked into the rotation. But I would be shocked if he wins it outright.

The article makes it clear that Richt wants to see these guys compete to win the spot and all options are on the table. Perry having only summer camp to win it outright to start Game 1 is a very low probability.

I think you're all reading into this too much. There was a wide open competition for backup last summer, but Allison came in as a raw, yet athletically gifted and promising prospect. I don't know how much you can hold not winning the backup competition against him. He was a freshman in a position that is hard to step directly into at this level unless you're an all-world prospect.

Give the kid a chance. He's not guaranteed the job next year, but I wouldn't write him off over one sentence about his first couple months on campus.

Advertisement
Should pull Allisons scholarship for not being ready to beat out a 3rd year guy for the back up spot, as a true freshman.

It's truly remarkable that Deondre Francois got the ball for FSU. He couldn't even beat out Maguire or Golson for the back up spot in his freshman year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i been throught his before on this board.
Braxton Berrios
Trayone Gray
Lawrence Cager
etc

lets let him prove himself before we crown perry

Advertisement
Back