No Need To Complain About Coaching In Year One. History Says So

Yah, that’s it OP.

We’ve got the next Irvin Mayas on our hands.

Keep telling yourself that.

Advertisement
You really can’t learn much from a Head Coaches first season.

History has told us that many times, yet we want to fly banners and fire everyone all the way down to the janitor.

The coaches who are considered the top in their field have all posted underwhelming records their first years

1.) Tom Herman - Texas 7-6
2.) Nick Saban (GOAT)
*Mich State- 7-6
*LSU - 8-4
*Alabama 7-6
3.) Pete Carol - USC 7-6
4.) Dabo Swinney- 8-5
5.) Jim Tressel - Ohio State -7-5
6.) Jimmy Johnson - UM - 8-5

The truth is almost every Head Coach flopped their first season after taking over a program on the decline. It didn’t matter how great they were or their experience level, the first year results were pretty much the same. Multiple losses with bad performances.

You have to ask yourself, why are you so upset if you know the first season of a new head coach is multiple losses? History has shown that time and time again

We have won the coastal once in 15 years and you guys were pencilling in a 10 and 11 win season? Bro if Kansas, Wake Forest or another school fans were upset with not winning 10 or 11 games you would laugh them off the Internet. The reality is harsh. Those schools have won just as many conference titles and divisions titles in the last 15 years as UM

For the first two years, the fans need to do their part in making the program look attractive. If after year two and their is no improvement then it’s ok to voice concerns and ask for a new situation
The average wins among the coaches you listed is 7. Do you honestly believe we reach 7-8 win? None of those coaches ever seemed in over there heads. Most had a strong track record. Manny doesn't.

manny defense is overrated. get the striker crap outta my face. this guy can develop anyone. EVERY competent QB/OC combo we have faced since he was DC have raped him

Even I concede that point to you, we were still playing much better the last few years.

Advertisement
That is not true. No one has ever turned a program around who were on the decline for more than 8 years in one season. When you start to get into programs that were on the decline for 15 years, you are looking a stat were no coach in history has in one year.

These are just facts.

I agree w u, but here’s the one problem w this:

See I’m a stat boy, and I’m a diehard fan, and this point you’ve brought out had some legs to it. However, we need to look at a 3 yr window, b/c what a coach inherits will be the culture he inherits. These will be his Sr & Jr leaders:

Tom Herman took over a UT team w/in a 3 yr window that went a combined 18-21.

Nick Saban took over a MSU program that went a combined 16-18.

Nick Saban took over a LSU program that went a combined 16-18.

Nick Saban took over a Bama program that went a combined 22-12 in 3 yrs (but Bama got hit w sanctions before Saban got there and their 2005, 2006 season wins were eradicated)

Jimmy is an outlier, which is y fans were on his head. Jimmy took over national champions.

Dabo is the interesting comparison. While Clemson weren’t what they are today, he did inherit a program that were “winning” by mediocre CFB standards. He was already on staff as well. His track is similar to Manny’s regarding inheriting a team that had potential based upon past seasons.

The leg up Dabo possesses, however, was that Clemson got to see a sample size of what Dabo could do as a head man. Miami never got that window of observance w Manny.

manny defense is overrated. get the striker crap outta my face. this guy can't develop anyone. EVERY competent QB/OC combo we have faced since he was DC have raped him
All 4-2-5 defenses use a striker. Bud foster calls his whip.

OP answer this question as truthfully as possible. How many of those teams/coaches listed were as talented as 2019 Miami?. What Manny sold us was not a rebuild, he said all this team needed was an offense to rev up the engine, and he is right, this team has top 10 blue chip talent ratio but poorly coached.

Advertisement
I agree w u, but here’s the one problem w this:

See I’m a stat boy, and I’m a diehard fan, and this point you’ve brought out had some legs to it. However, we need to look at a 3 yr window, b/c what a coach inherits will be the culture he inherits. These will be his Sr & Jr leaders:

Tom Herman took over a UT team w/in a 3 yr window that went a combined 18-21.

Nick Saban took over a MSU program that went a combined 16-18.

Nick Saban took over a LSU program that went a combined 16-18.

Nick Saban took over a Bama program that went a combined 22-12 in 3 yrs (but Bama got hit w sanctions before Saban got there and their 2005, 2006 season wins were eradicated)

Jimmy is an outlier, which is y fans were on his head. Jimmy took over national champions.

Dabo is the interesting comparison. While Clemson weren’t what they are today, he did inherit a program that were “winning” by mediocre CFB standards. He was already on staff as well. His track is similar to Manny’s regarding inheriting a team that had potential based upon past seasons.

The leg up Dabo possesses, however, was that Clemson got to see a sample size of what Dabo could do as a head man. Miami never got that window of observance w Manny.
And miami was 26-12 in the 3 years before diaz became hc. Better records than all the teams those coaches took over.

yawn... the coaches who succeed after year 1 are few and far between. your list is a prime example. more coaches continue to fail and have subpar second and third seasons than have success

Advertisement
I'm typically in the 'give him 2-3 years camp'. And I'm not going to join the poo-flinging going on here at CIS but, I'm basically off the Manny bus.

Exactly. That’s my point. Diaz didn’t inherit a trash program, but we are looking as such.
I have to disagree with you here Rell. This program was trash last year and the year before that and the year before that. We got lucky af when won 10 games. We should have lost 3 of the games we won.

Diaz needs to show me something though. One thing about all the first year teams the OP mentioned is that they all showed glimpses of what they could become. Yea they had ****** games but the also has some really good games in there too. We haven’t played a good game yet.

Advertisement
I see the point in a 2-3 year window, when we see hope. Nobody here can see anything building, 2-3 years sets this program back 5-7 years. Just pull off the fing band-aid!!

OP answer this question as truthfully as possible. How many of those teams/coaches listed were as talented as 2019 Miami?. What Manny sold us was not a rebuild, he said all this team needed was an offense to rev up the engine, and he is right, this team has top 10 blue chip talent ratio but poorly coached.
I am not saying we should just sit quiet and not talk about the faults we see each week.. lol

All the flying banners and boycotting is what I am saying is extreme based on what we know about the history of first year coaches

Advertisement
Back