Nigel Bethel commits

I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.
Isn't he 5-11?
That's why I was comparing him to Shields..a 4 Star WR who ended up being a not too shabby corner...though not with the clueless regime we had here back then.

Advertisement
I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

No matter how much spin guys put on this commitment, it should be blatantly obvious that we need a monster recruiter added to the defensive staff.

Bethel's got some nice traits. But we're the only major P5 program who thought he was worthy.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

Until proven otherwise Miami can't. It's been that way for a long time too. Since we lost Patrick Peterson (Johnson) we've struck out with top DB's minus Tracy Howard. We've seen them leave one after the other and ball out elsewhere and against us. Everyone knows this trend must stop. Maybe Rumph works his relationship and kills the Ghost of PJ. Maybe he can reverse the Anti-Miami culture at AH. Maybe it's next year with Spaghetti whom seems to be a 5* lock to us.

For now Bethel is the best we can get and about the perfect project recruit to take a flier on. He's got everything it take to be a prototype CB. Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's. He's a Cane now and we need him to develop.

Last edited:
Advertisement

No matter how much spin guys put on this commitment, it should be blatantly obvious that we need a monster recruiter added to the defensive staff.

Bethel's got some nice traits. But we're the only major P5 program who thought he was worthy.

I read somewhere that he had an offer from UFag and UGA.

Until proven otherwise Miami can't. It's been that way for a long time too. Since we lost Patrick Peterson (Johnson) we've struck out with top DB's minus Tracy Howard. We've seen them leave one after the other and ball out elsewhere and against us. Everyone knows this trend must stop. Maybe Rumph works his relationship and kills the PJ ghost and the anit-Miami culture seemingly at AH. Maybe it's next year with Spaghetti whom seems to be a 5* lock to us. I sooo want him to commit and be the new ambassador.

For now Bethel is the best we can get and about the perfect project recruit to take a flier on. He's got everything it take to be a prototype CB. Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's. He's a Cane now and we need him to develop.

Our offensive staff isn't having any trouble signing big timers all over the place. The problem isn't "Miami". The problem is our defensive staff looks about as organized and competent as a stoner taking a 3AM trip to the Taco Bell drive thru.

If this kid had committed back to Florida or FSU, we would be LOLing because it's a huge reach. It's a poor job with our DB board given the needs this year and the available local talent. He didn't start as a CB last year on his team. 2/3 of our CB class didn't start for their high school team. Does he have traits? He's tall and fast. He isn't special in any capacity based on tape. I would love to hear why someone thinks he's a good player?

He has three plays on film as a DB, so can't really judge, but he doesn't cover anyone. He intercepts a pass in Cover 3 that was overthrown by 8 yards and he tackles some guys 8 yards off the ball and on a screen. On offense, he catches the ball with his body and runs about 2.5 routes in his films. His YAC is decent, but if he's a blazer it should be better. He even got hawked in one play straight up. His best plays are on special teams, which makes sense because that's what this guy is. That's not good enough in a year where we need impact defensive backs. It's just not. If this kid played out of Atlanta or Dallas there wouldn't be the same hype coming from the SFL 4 Life squad. It's not what we need given the context.

Until proven otherwise Miami can't. It's been that way for a long time too. Since we lost Patrick Peterson (Johnson) we've struck out with top DB's minus Tracy Howard. We've seen them leave one after the other and ball out elsewhere and against us. Everyone knows this trend must stop. Maybe Rumph works his relationship and kills the PJ ghost and the anit-Miami culture seemingly at AH. Maybe it's next year with Spaghetti whom seems to be a 5* lock to us. I sooo want him to commit and be the new ambassador.

Our offensive staff isn't having any trouble signing big timers all over the place. The problem isn't "Miami". The problem is our defensive staff looks about as organized and competent as a stoner taking a 3AM trip to the Taco Bell drive thru.

You're right, offensive staff is definitely killing it. Let's see what happens with how the cycle finishes. No excuse really for us not to be doing the same on D side. They need to kill the Ghost of PJ!!!!

Advertisement
National championships are won in the trenches not in the secondary. When you have a dominant front 7 you can throw solid athletes in the secondary and they'll look like all Americans. Give me more trench bullies

National championships are won in the trenches not in the secondary. When you have a dominant front 7 you can throw solid athletes in the secondary and they'll look like all Americans. Give me more trench bullies

National championships are won by teams that have studs at every position on the field. It's 2018 and the competition is Alabama and Clemson and Georgia and other places that drop bags to load up on 5 stars everywhere. Improve or get left in the dust, it isn't going to get any easier for us the further we get away from our glory days.

4.3 athlete? Sign him up. MNW pipeline? Open it up. Kid might never play DB here; but we need more burst and speed on all facets. Welcome to The U

The 6-foot-0, 165-pounder had other offers that included Florida, Georgia, Louisville and Purdue.

“Nigel can play both sides of the ball, has track speed and good size,” Edwards said. “He’s got good instincts at DB and at wide receiver he can catch the ball. You add up those characteristics, that’s what makes him a top prospect.”

Bethel's goals at Miami?

"To get a degree first, and if I’m blessed to play in the NFL I’ll do that," he said. "And we're trying to win national titles."

Advertisement

He had an offer from Shannon, Mullen dropped him. Not sure on Georgia

Last edited:
Speaking track speed and times only he compares at the same stage/grade level of development with Henderson-- Let's see his times from the upcoming track season

Henderson
100 Meters
2016 Outdoor 11 10.77
2017 Outdoor 12 10.40 PR * (run with a 3.3mps tail wind--is 10.58 with no wind)

200 Meters
2014 Outdoor 9 22.55
2015 Outdoor 10 21.92 *
2016 Outdoor 11 21.24 *
2017 Outdoor 12 20.92 PR * (run with a 2.0mps tail wind -- 21.10 with no wind)

400 Meters
2014 Outdoor 9 50.24
2015 Outdoor 10 50.88
2017 Outdoor 12 48.48 PR *

Bethel
100 Meters
2016 Outdoor 10 10.78 PR (run with a 0.2 mps tail wind--10.79 with no wind)

200 Meters
2016 Outdoor 10 21.57 PR

400 Meters
2017 Outdoor 11 49.79 PR

Very interesting!
Not really. The only thing that can be said about a race with wind, +/-, is that it had wind; you can’t definitely say what the time would have been. Same goes for altitude. (You could add dew point to that as well...) Jonas Murieka’s wind correction is even more inaccurate in 200m because of wind vectors. And wind can affect athletes differently based on lane placement as well.

Wind conversion is a fun guide. It’s not iron-clad or definitive.

The formulas are USTAFF accepted. You enter the altitude, sinde speed, and for races around a curve the lane number. I have coached track and field in HS adn in JUCO and these formulas are not absolute but neither are the USTAFF that "inaccurate". Vector for those not knowing is speed and direction. Hypothetically a semi-cross wind at 100m would not be as potent negative/positive as a straight on wind. Nevertheless, the formulas are not that off as you apparently suggest.

He had an offer from Shannon, Mullen dropped him. Not sure on Georgia

Of course he did. Who doesn't Shannon love from MNW?

Advertisement
He looked fairly tall when I saw him live.

He looks longer than he is listed (5'11) but nobody seemed to know his actual height.

Seems like he has long speed. Not crazy burst. Artie Burns? Don't know track at all.

Before anybody freaks out, this was coming regardless of what happens with Surtain/Campbell

Quick save, Pete. Miami will be lucky to land either of the CB from AH. This is still a really good class. Just won’t be considered elite without one of those CB.

A class is judged by what they do on the field once they get here. Who gives a *** where they were ranked prior to steeping on the field.

Agreed. Rankings mean little if they don't produce here. This kid is athletic, and smart. That's a darn fine combination if you ask me.

If we can get campbell to close out this CB class I will be thrilled as he already have some of the best secondary recruits in this class UM has seen in a long a while. Surtain ain't happening so no need to even really mention him.

Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's.

I keep seeing this stated but I just haven't seen much of it posted.

Most "doubters" have offered their congratulations & acknowledged his potential. Just bc people point out his lack of offers, experience at the position or our failure to land higher targets isn't a knock on the kid.

Advertisement
Back