Nigel Bethel commits

I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

No matter how much spin guys put on this commitment, it should be blatantly obvious that we need a monster recruiter added to the defensive staff.

Bethel's got some nice traits. But we're the only major P5 program who thought he was worthy.

I read somewhere that he had an offer from UFag and UGA.

He had a UF offer while he was committed there. Then, Shannon got fired, and they immediately revoked his offer. He doesn't have a UGA offer.

Advertisement
He doesn't have a UGA offer.

To be fair, I do think he would end up with a spot on signing day at a major D1 program, depending on who strikes out. He's your typical Plan C kid with nice upside. Nothing wrong with call it what it is. Happy for him.

Terrance Henley had “a lot” of speed too and we all know how that worked out.

Here are Henley's best High School Times--And he was a senior not a Junior. Not even close

100 Meters---2015 Outdoor........ 12 ......11.08 PR

400 Meters---2015 Outdoor........ 12 ......52.76 PR

Here is his 2015 Summer testing numbers---
"Freshman Terrance Henley tested at 245 in the squat, 162 in the power clean, 265 in the bench and had a 29-inch vertical. He weighed 170 pounds and his 40 time was 4.64 seconds. "

Last edited:
I do not understand the folks that think Bethel is a bad take. But then I was saying take him back when Campbell was supposedly ours to lose.

If Plan B is a really fast athletic kid with size from a feeder school who needs some coaching at CB, who really wants to play at UM, and who is competitive, then count me in. He’s got what you can’t coach, and I haven’t seen anyone say he doesn’t have the hips or athletic ability to play the spot. This kid looks like a legit CB prospect.

Sure, we seem to have botched db recruiting of top targets this year. That is what it is. Be mad at the staff if you want to. But don’t transfer your emotions over other kids to Bethel. That’s pointless.

I’m ambivalent on the take, but if it’s the no-brainer that CIS is portraying it to be, then why were no other marquee P5 programs interested? Teams from all over the country scour this area. Yet not even middling P5 programs were on him hard.

I’ve now watched two full games of MNW last year and in both he did absolutely nothing. I’m not against the take if we have scholarships to spare, as he at least has physical upside and seems like a quality kid from a local powerhouse, but Miami-level players shouldn’t be hard to find when you’re watching their high school games.

Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's.

I keep seeing this stated but I just haven't seen much of it posted.

Most "doubters" have offered their congratulations & acknowledged his potential. Just bc people point out his lack of offers, experience at the position or our failure to land higher targets isn't a knock on the kid.

These guys are too fragile to discuss prospects openly. Bethel has some good traits, but to act like UM signing him is a no-brainer is misguided. I hope he has an incredible career here, but he's got a ton of work to do. And UM will struggle to field great defenses if we continue to sign guys like this and miss on big-time guys.

Advertisement
Didn’t FSU have two 5* DBs starting for them this year. McFadden and James. How’d this season turn out for them. I think you have to have the big uglies on both sides of the ball. A very good QB and an elite running back. I hate not getting the AH dbs, but I don’t think the win differential they will make is minimal. Compared to what a competent QB and Lingard win differential will be

I do not understand the folks that think Bethel is a bad take. But then I was saying take him back when Campbell was supposedly ours to lose.

If Plan B is a really fast athletic kid with size from a feeder school who needs some coaching at CB, who really wants to play at UM, and who is competitive, then count me in. He’s got what you can’t coach, and I haven’t seen anyone say he doesn’t have the hips or athletic ability to play the spot. This kid looks like a legit CB prospect.

Sure, we seem to have botched db recruiting of top targets this year. That is what it is. Be mad at the staff if you want to. But don’t transfer your emotions over other kids to Bethel. That’s pointless.

I’m ambivalent on the take, but if it’s the no-brainer that CIS is portraying it to be, then why were no other marquee P5 programs interested? Teams from all over the country scour this area. Yet not even middling P5 programs were on him hard.

I’ve now watched two full games of MNW last year and in both he did absolutely nothing. I’m not against the take if we have scholarships to spare, as he at least has physical upside and seems like a quality kid from a local powerhouse, but Miami-level players shouldn’t be hard to find when you’re watching their high school games.

That's how I watch prospects too. I watch to see who jumps off the screen.

I'm not all that big on fast guys who don't do anything in football games. I like the fast guys who jump off the screen during football games. We need more of the latter in order to return to being a defensive powerhouse.

National championships are won in the trenches not in the secondary. When you have a dominant front 7 you can throw solid athletes in the secondary and they'll look like all Americans. Give me more trench bullies

National championships are won by teams that have studs at every position on the field. It's 2018 and the competition is Alabama and Clemson and Georgia and other places that drop bags to load up on 5 stars everywhere. Improve or get left in the dust, it isn't going to get any easier for us the further we get away from our glory days.

Im hip but its not the end all be all in winning a national championship. Georgia wasnt loaded up with 5 stars like bama. Clemson won without a bunch of 5 stars. Oklahoma? Just saying trenches is where games are won. Ill take 5 star dline over 5 star cbs all day everyday.

I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

No matter how much spin guys put on this commitment, it should be blatantly obvious that we need a monster recruiter added to the defensive staff.

Bethel's got some nice traits. But we're the only major P5 program who thought he was worthy.

He had a UF offer while he was committed there. Then, Shannon got fired, and they immediately revoked his offer. He doesn't have a UGA offer.

247, ESPN, and Rivals list him as having a UGA offer. All of them are wrong?

Advertisement
National championships are won in the trenches not in the secondary. When you have a dominant front 7 you can throw solid athletes in the secondary and they'll look like all Americans. Give me more trench bullies

National championships are won by teams that have studs at every position on the field. It's 2018 and the competition is Alabama and Clemson and Georgia and other places that drop bags to load up on 5 stars everywhere. Improve or get left in the dust, it isn't going to get any easier for us the further we get away from our glory days.

Im hip but its not the end all be all in winning a national championship. Georgia wasnt loaded up with 5 stars like bama. Clemson won without a bunch of 5 stars. Oklahoma? Just saying trenches is where games are won. Ill take 5 star dline over 5 star cbs all day everyday.

This isn't an either or situation, why even make the dumbass statement of taking one over the other. There is no consolation 5 star DT waiting for us on the condition that we don't get the DB prospects we want. We need both, every time.

This isn't an either or situation, why even make the dumbass statement of taking one over the other. There is no consolation 5 star DT waiting for us on the condition that we don't get the DB prospects we want. We need both, every time.

Haha no sh*t we need both everytime. But one is more valuable than the other?

Haha no sh*t we need both everytime. But one is more valuable than the other?
Again, an irrelevant statement. One being more valuable on a per player basis has no bearing on the need of the other. It is not an either/or scenario. Stop comparing them to each other directly. It will never be a valid or even relevant way to approach recruiting. You always want the best, at every position. You never accept consolation at one position you executed poorly because you executed another strongly.

Again, there is no "more trench bullies" waiting to commit to us because we miss out of defensive backs. You have no point.

Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's.

Most "doubters" have offered their congratulations & acknowledged his potential. Just bc people point out his lack of offers, experience at the position or our failure to land higher targets isn't a knock on the kid.

Something is off with [MENTION=18452]ShadowSpring[/MENTION].

He makes weird claims like that then disappears.

Advertisement

Dont think its a committable offer

If Devin Hester can make a career out of being fast and playing everywhere... Why can't this kid? Seems smart and selfless. Hopefully he has the work ethic to back it up

Don't (ever) put Nigel in the same category as Hester

Give me a 4.3 man to man lockdown CB like Campbell. Lock down ! Getting players like Campbell brings the U a step closer to being able to beat teams like Clemson

Did you know Devin Hester was gonna be Devin Hester before he stepped on campus? But now you're saying not to put them in the same category for merely mentioning that they have some of the same qualities?

Those who followed recruiting at the time of Hester, obviously didn't know he would be the greatest of all time. What was known is that he was electric with the ball in his hands. I can say without question, the anticipation for him, delayed by his not qualifying the first year, was second to none. The only comparison even remotely close was Thomas. You knew our return game would get a big boost with Hester coming in.

Bethel, I don't see them in the same level at all. I like the pickup, but I wouldn't go tossing him and Hester together. Good luck to the young man.

They all also show Jalen Patterson having an offer from Miami. They don’t update revoked offers. So yes, they are wrong.

Advertisement
Bethel hustled an offer from a great school regardless if you guys think he will ever play or not. Gotta respect that hustle. He will graduate and be successful in life while most of us' crowning achievement will be getting +reps on a message board.

Don't appreciate you downplaying my crowning achievement!

If Devin Hester can make a career out of being fast and playing everywhere... Why can't this kid? Seems smart and selfless. Hopefully he has the work ethic to back it up

Give me a 4.3 man to man lockdown CB like Campbell. Lock down ! Getting players like Campbell brings the U a step closer to being able to beat teams like Clemson

Did you know Devin Hester was gonna be Devin Hester before he stepped on campus? But now you're saying not to put them in the same category for merely mentioning that they have some of the same qualities?

Those who followed recruiting at the time of Hester, obviously didn't know he would be the greatest of all time. What was known is that he was electric with the ball in his hands. I can say without question, the anticipation for him, delayed by his not qualifying the first year, was second to none. The only comparison even remotely close was Thomas. You knew our return game would get a big boost with Hester coming in.

Bethel, I don't see them in the same level at all. I like the pickup, but I wouldn't go tossing him and Hester together. Good luck to the young man.

Hester was one of the most sought after recruits in the state. Ask Mickey Andrews. Comparing Bethel to Hester is pure comedy.

These guys are too fragile to discuss prospects openly. Bethel has some good traits, but to act like UM signing him is a no-brainer is misguided. I hope he has an incredible career here, but he's got a ton of work to do. And UM will struggle to field great defenses if we continue to sign guys like this and miss on big-time guys.

Duh.

Hester was one of the most sought after recruits in the state. Ask Mickey Andrews. Comparing Bethel to Hester is pure comedy.

Not fair to compare anyone with Hester

Advertisement
Back