Nigel Bethel commits

Staff can’t feel good on Campbell or Surtain. If we round out the class with ezzard, Briggs, and Chatman I’ll be fine

They don’t feel good about Surtain or Campbell, but even if they did, this was coming. This is not connected to those two.

Pete, has Campbell or Surtain even committed to coming in for an OV? I have seen some people mention Feb. 2 but I don't know if I have seen anybody actually confirm that they will be coming.

Pete did on twitter a few days back, and Campbell’s dad gave that interview to canesport saying they were setting it up on the first weekend of February

Well then I guess at the very least we have a chance....

Advertisement
[HUDL]video/3/8037753/5a2f6974b0191611b09692dd[/HUDL]

He has the traits and mind to develop. 6'1, 4.3 and smart from the top team in Dade. Note the first play against Central.

My favorite play is at 4.30. Note the quick feet he has making the spin during the catch while running at speed. That right there is what you want at CB, quick feet which helps the CB be agile at high speed.

This kid is my prototype CB. 6' - 6'-1" about 175-185 lb, long, lean, quick feet, smart, and SPEED.

Love the pick up. Rumph needs to pull a miracle and get Tyson at The U. We'd have upgraded our speed on defense immensely this cycle.

The development of Bethel and Dean will tell us if Rumph is a good CB coach. They have all the tools to be great. Mikey needs to get the full potential out of them.

Where's the film of him playing corner though? I saw maybe 2 plays in a 5 min vid. The film is nice but I was hoping to see him in coverage more.

Any idea who the kid is at 2:05 in the video that runs Bethel down? I certainly believe Bethel is fast but that kid must be a blazer the way he closed the distance.

I do not understand the folks that think Bethel is a bad take. But then I was saying take him back when Campbell was supposedly ours to lose.

If Plan B is a really fast athletic kid with size from a feeder school who needs some coaching at CB, who really wants to play at UM, and who is competitive, then count me in. He’s got what you can’t coach, and I haven’t seen anyone say he doesn’t have the hips or athletic ability to play the spot. This kid looks like a legit CB prospect.

Sure, we seem to have botched db recruiting of top targets this year. That is what it is. Be mad at the staff if you want to. But don’t transfer your emotions over other kids to Bethel. That’s pointless.

My posts are guilty of that. I’ll let the kid be. You brought up a good point, “he wants to be a cane”. Gotta respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I do not understand the folks that think Bethel is a bad take. But then I was saying take him back when Campbell was supposedly ours to lose.

If Plan B is a really fast athletic kid with size from a feeder school who needs some coaching at CB, who really wants to play at UM, and who is competitive, then count me in. He’s got what you can’t coach, and I haven’t seen anyone say he doesn’t have the hips or athletic ability to play the spot. This kid looks like a legit CB prospect.

Sure, we seem to have botched db recruiting of top targets this year. That is what it is. Be mad at the staff if you want to. But don’t transfer your emotions over other kids to Bethel. That’s pointless.

I’m ambivalent on the take, but if it’s the no-brainer that CIS is portraying it to be, then why were no other marquee P5 programs interested? Teams from all over the country scour this area. Yet not even middling P5 programs were on him hard.

Super happy for Bethel. Was basically told to wait it out and we will let you know if you have a commitable offer and he did. Guy was a take in my book from the jump due to his speed and the fact that our numbers suck. Good stuff.

Like I said, his offer became real the minute Malek retired. Funny how he jumped in almost immediately after Malek retired.

yup. They were slow playing him and the instant they really needed him, he shuts down his recruitment. The kid clearly wants to be a Cane and that is a trait unto itself.

For the time being we are still struggling getting the elite 5* kids, we don't do very well with the national sweethearts. We need a few of these 305 kids like Bethel to develop and take us to the next level.

He truly wants to be a Cane because he has no other good options. He actually truly wanted to be a Gator.

Advertisement
If Devin Hester can make a career out of being fast and playing everywhere... Why can't this kid? Seems smart and selfless. Hopefully he has the work ethic to back it up

Don't (ever) put Nigel in the same category as Hester

Give me a 4.3 man to man lockdown CB like Campbell. Lock down ! Getting players like Campbell brings the U a step closer to being able to beat teams like Clemson

Sir, yes sir. Nigel Bethel might be the next Devin Hester.

Like I said, his offer became real the minute Malek retired. Funny how he jumped in almost immediately after Malek retired.

yup. They were slow playing him and the instant they really needed him, he shuts down his recruitment. The kid clearly wants to be a Cane and that is a trait unto itself.

For the time being we are still struggling getting the elite 5* kids, we don't do very well with the national sweethearts. We need a few of these 305 kids like Bethel to develop and take us to the next level.

He truly wants to be a Cane because he has no other good options. He actually truly wanted to be a Gator.

Nothing but truth. Kinda looks like both sides became a little desperate and needed each other.

Bethel hustled an offer from a great school regardless if you guys think he will ever play or not. Gotta respect that hustle. He will graduate and be successful in life while most of us' crowning achievement will be getting +reps on a message board.

Given the Young's injury/retirement and the outlook for Surtain and Campbell, Bethel was Miami's best option and Miami was his best option. It is what it is.

Advertisement
Did this kid play both ways at NW? His entire tape is at receiver.

Always thought this kid was a reach. Always thought he was worth an offer. He was never a priority, but taking him was never dependent upon what another recruit did. We lose absolutely nothing by taking him. We may gain nothing either, but I like our Rumph's developmental skills so I'm willing to bet he comes around.

2 year project.

Advertisement
Where's the film of him playing corner though? I saw maybe 2 plays in a 5 min vid. The film is nice but I was hoping to see him in coverage more.

Northwestern had Divaad Wilson (Georgia) and Rachad Wildgoose (Bama offer) at corner. Bethel was the #1 receiver.

I haven't seen Bethel at corner, so it's hard for me to project his potential there outside the obvious traits. But the coaches saw him at corner at their camp and offered him over Wilson and Wildgoose.

HOW TALL IS THIS KID? ANYONE? 5'11? 6'1?

Film is nice. I can see why the staff would take a chance on him considering our need.

Didn't want to take away from the kids moment so I added spoiler. People are missing the point.. It's not Bethel. He's a fine backup option. It's getting beat out from what should be a feeder school (RumF's kids) on the Top 2 CB's in the nation. We will never have an easier shot at a top rated recruit. Can't whiff.. especially on BOTH.

I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

Advertisement
Back